NAC282 Dual Hicaps

A very interesting feed. I currently run a single HicapDR into my 282/250dr set up. Like everyone on the Naim Train we are looking for that little extra. I don’t think that I will be going down the 252/SCDR route, but more along the line of upgrading source from ND5XS2 to NDX2/XPSdr when funds available. That could be a couple of years, but would the more modest investment of another HCDR give another level improvement. Definitely would appreciate your combined wealth of knowledge on this matter.

I put a spare one on mine as a result of this thread. It is still on there. I will probably keep 2 on there at second hand prices but I wouldn’t buy a new one.

1 Like

Thanks for that@bruss. There is a lot that I have read that they need to be closely matched. My HCDR is prob 18 months old, so would probably look for something similar pre lived accordingly. Appreciate your feedback. Food for thought🤔

Yes, I’d guess you have to have a DR. I was lucky in that my CB and Olive are both Holden Fisher transformers and electronics.

1 Like

I have been pondering this very issue for sometime now. What in your opinion was the discernible benefit of the second box please.

See my post above?

In my opinion the second Hicap was well worth it. I found a pre owned DR to match my existing, for the money it made sense. The outlay on a supercap DR was too much for me so I’ve got a nice upgrade for not too much expense.

As it sounds so good I’ll keep this configuration for a while. Next upgrade will be to swap the XP5 power supply for an XPSDR…at some point.

2 Likes

@finnyeyn. Thank you. I think I will take the plunge and go for the second box, especially as I don’t think I will be going down 252 route.

1 Like

I will let you know what I find this weekend as I will be testing a supercap 2 for a while. I have 282/250DR also. SC2 goes in mail to me tomorrow.

Scott

1 Like

Whilst I can’t comment on how a 282 performs with 2 Hicaps I know that it its noticeably better with a Supercap.

Having said this in the past few months I have moved in 3 stages from 282/HiCapDR/250 DR to 252/SupercapDR/300DR.

Due to an opportunity I upgraded the 250DR to 300DR first, then added the Supercap to the 282 and then changed the 282 to 252.

What surprised me was that the move from 250 to 300 was by far the largest upgrade of the 3 changes. Now I’m a source first pre-amp first kind of person and if giving advice I would have said du the power supply on the pre-amp first but the 282/HicapDR/300DR worked exceptionally well and if I could only chose one upgrade that’s the one I would take. Adding a Supercap made far less of an improvement to my ears although it was still worthwhile.

I’m watching this thread with interest. I have a 282/200 with a Hicap DR. My main source is vinyl through a Stageline K.

At some point I am keen to upgrade to a Superline.

I know that the powered aux on a 252 uses dedicated windings from the Supercap.

But what is the recommended option for powering a Superline, when using a 282?

Ian

It depends on your budget; if tight then run to from the AUX2. The Superline will work very nicely on your current 282/Hicap, with the knowledge that you have some nice upgrades to come. Otherwise, a Hicap. And of you really want to push the boat out, a Superline (and Burndy).

2 Likes

Not on topic, imo you may find a very sizeable upgrade changing the rack. Sorry my ocd…

Are you happy with the 282/200DR and HICAP combination? I have these units on order from my dealer, to be used with a NDX2/555PSDR source. My logical upgrades (over time) are a Supercap and/or 250, but these will be some way down the line.

I have 2x HiCapDR on my 282/250DR. I love the result. Not going for 252 either. There was a recent thread on the subject and my comments are there. Suffice to say I’m happy. My next step would be NDX2 too or speakers, but not soon. Good luck!

4 Likes

Good… :sunglasses:

1 Like

There is no answer to this question.
A SC is only logical if you think a 252 is on the cards. Otherwise 2 HCs works if you can hear a difference.
A 282 fed via its power amp also works if this is what you can afford.
One of the downsides with the 282 is that there are many options to make it better.
There are many that claim an SC is better than 2 HCs.
Can’t help thinking a bit of unconscious bias has a part to play though! :wink:

1 Like

@334578. Many thanks. Much appreciated and look forward to your thoughts👍

Haha. We have similar setups by the sounds of it, and I am pleased that you thought 2nd box was a worthwhile upgrade. What did you feel were the main gains in adding it. I have pretty much decided on going down this route as it is an affordable upgrade right now. Like you, my next step will be NDX2/XPSDR, but that may have to wait for a year or two as I took the route of upgrading my speakers to the excellent Focal Kanta 2’s in preference.:+1:

Have you heard the permutations?