NAC282/HiCap to ATC SMC40A

Hi all,

As a complete novice, I have no idea how to connect active speakers to my Naim NDX/282/HiCap. The various balanced cables are available from Flashback as single Y split Or paired Naim 4 Pin to 3 pin connectors, but which output to use from the naim kit?

Do I use the aux in/out on the 282 or something on the HiCap???

Thanks everyone.

You will need to connect from the Hi Cap to the speakers (I presume you are active via amplifiers in the speakers). Looking at the back of my HiCap there are two sockets marked amp 1 and amp 2. I think this is how it will work, but no doubt someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute.

Reading some other forum posts I think you use a “Y” split cable from one of the spare DIN connectors on the HiCap that splits to 2 x XLR (balanced) to the active speaker.

When I contacted Flashback for a suitable cable they were extremely helpful and have such cables of varying lengths.

I’m left with the final question of which type of screening schemes ???

Option 1
Normal
Normal wiring has the screen of the cable connected at both the DIN and the XLR plugs

Option 2
Pre-amp Reference Earth
This wiring has the screen of the cable connected at the DIN plug end only

Option 3
Speaker Reference Earth
This wiring has the screen of the cable connected at the XLR ends only

Anyone have experience and a recommendation on which option to use with the ATC SCM40A???

I’m not sure that a reference to spare connectors is correct. There is one socket going to a stereo power amp and two that would go to 2 mono power amps (e.g. 2 x NAP 135). They’re not spare.

I know nothing about the speakers you are discussing.

I would suspect that Flashback probably know what they were talking about so why couldn’t they also advise on what cable is needed rather than you asking after “reading some posts” and the screening scheme?

Wouldn’t that be safer?

Flashback have been great but their reply to me asked that I select the appropriate screening scheme, hence my request for help from forum members.

Thanks.

From HiCap socket 3 use a single 4 pin din to 2 x XLR (L + R) cable to the speakers. This how I use my 282/SuperCap DR.

1 Like

That is clear. Thank you.

Regarding a suitable cable. I was told I needed to consider -

Option 1
Normal
Normal wiring has the screen of the cable connected at both the DIN and the XLR plugs

Option 2
Pre-amp Reference Earth
This wiring has the screen of the cable connected at the DIN plug end only

Option 3
Speaker Reference Earth
This wiring has the screen of the cable connected at the XLR ends only

How should I respond ?

There are other threads running that reference your speakers - why don’t you ask your question on one of those?

when i ordered one of these , I took the normal wiring. Just ask David Laine , the owner of flashbacksales, if you want further confirmation

Thanks, it was David from Flashback that asked me to choose the screening method.

So you got the “normal” screening scheme for connecting HiCap to the ATC actives? DIN to 2 XLR?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.