NAC52 and POTS8

I used my last POTS-8 a couple of weeks ago and no definite date for more stock…

4 Likes

This seems to be just PCBs and not a component shortage/EOL so I guess more logistic and politics than can/cannot.

1 Like

The POTS8 is so well known/mentioned (that’s why they’ve run out of them perhaps ) and the 52 such a great product I think in this case Naim should consider making a few more. They can, after all, be made quite readily by hand without firing up a production line, the old stuff has simple PCB:s and no surface mount stuff.

3 Likes

Maybe they could knock up a display board for my early 52 in that case? But only if it will let me use my NDS remote for volume. :upside_down_face:

I hope this is true. But only Naim can decide this… :thinking:

1 Like

The good news is that I’ve just heard from Naim that more POTS8 boards are in the pipeline and, all being well, they should appear in a month or two.

18 Likes

That’s good. Thanks for the update, Richard’

1 Like

That’s great news Richard.

Can I easily check whether mine was given a POTS8 (as I was told) before I ever got it? Its serial number is 122715.

I’d rather not open it at all if I can avoid it.

3 Likes

Pots 8 was introduced from 138507: take a look at Neil’s post from two days ago on this thread.

2 Likes

Mine is clearly in an earlier tranche.

I am probably being dim, but how does Neil’s post tell me whether the previous owner had POTS8 done, as he reported?

1 Like

It doesn’t, and I missed that part of your question. To find out, ask Naim, who keep a record of what was done at services. If it was done at Class A, ask Darran, who keeps his own records.

I will and thanks.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was getting your question muddled up with Graham’s. Of course the post above wouldn’t help you!! Silly me, it’s hard to be this hopeless.

1 Like

Sounds like an older preamp whose parts are no longer available

Excellent news.I’ve gone from worrying I’d missed out on something to realising I already have it in the space of a few hours.

When we had our POTS2 NAC52 serviced, Sheila (who managed Naim Service Dept at the time) and I discussed the merits of the POTS8 upgrade.

The advice was that upgrading a POTS2 was definitely worthwhile.
Upgrading POTS7 to POTS8 was not worth doing.

From the serial number that you quote, it would appear that you have a POTS7….

Hope this helps, BF

2 Likes

I do and it does - many thanks.

It means it was not quite as advertised iirc, but also explains why I didn’t worry about it at the time (despite the vagaries of memory).

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what does the POTS8 do?

Or do that the POTS7 didn’t

Functionally they are essentially the same - i.e. both have the balance and volume control onboard, but the later versions sound better than the earlier ones. Beyond that @NeilS may be able to enlighten us.

2 Likes