NAC52 and POTS8

Hi group
I’m told by Naim that they no longer do the POTS8 upgrade and my favourite Naim technician Darran at Class A doesn’t have the parts either. So, does anyone know where I could get the work done? If there’s anyone who’s had it done; was it worth it or would a service for my Supercap be better value?
Thanks

At least that can be done, without hassle. Due every 8 to 10 years, say Naim.

What POTS version does your 52 have…?

AIUI it whilst the POTS 8 is the best 6 and 7 are just fine. What version do you have?

1 Like

How would I find out which POTS version I have in my NAC52?

It’s written on the little circuit board that’s just behind the volume and balance controls.

4 Likes

Thank you for that, but there’s no chance of my seeing that, as I’d never dare to open any of my Naim cases.

Naim or Class A are the only ones who would have the parts, unless there’s a kit in stock with one of the distributors.

I guess they finally ran out of boards to do the updates. At least I would assume older pots boards are still serviceable? Probably one for @NeilS

Ok - this is news to me. Let me look into it.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Can you check roughly by the serial number? My 52 is from 1999 using the serial number 1596–.

The Naim website (Product History) says NAC 52 - 1990 - Replaced by NAC 252 - 2002

Here is a link to a post from Richard D in another thread - useful info:

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thanks Neil, very much appreciated :+1:

It is the case that we are now out of the PCBs.
There is an investigation underway to access whether it’s possible and/or viable to have more manufactured.

Regards
Neil.

7 Likes

Sounds like politics :grimacing:

3 Likes

Can a 52 that already has POTS 8 still have its regular service?

My 52 is not due for service for some time but it would be good to know if there is a potential issue.

Absolutely!

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

In all fairness to Naim, the 52 is now over 30 years old and owners have had more than plenty of opportunity to get the latest upgrades. We owners of older kit are still being given the huge privilege of being able to get our stuff serviced and the lack of new boards doesn’t mean the existing ones can’t be serviced. If the boards have run out, I wouldn’t expect Naim to break their back getting more manufactured. Focus on the new stuff.

4 Likes

I agree with that entirely… once the new boards have been fitted to my NAC52.

5 Likes

I disagree with that entirely.

The fact that Naim continue to support the old kit and find new solutions rather than just telling people to buy the latest gadget is one of the things that keeps me loyal.

I love that I could send my 135s back last year to get their first service in 38 years.

8 Likes

:open_mouth:

Servicing kit is not in question :thinking:. When parts run out is the point I am making. Look at CD transports. POTS8 was introduced 26 years ago. There’s no excuse for it not already having been fitted.

2 Likes