NAC72 Phono board quality

I’m not sure which cartridge is suitable, based on the specs. I’d rather stay with a Rega setup if possible.

I run a Lyra Helikon SL into K boards with my 82 and get excellent results. I hope to get a Superline someday but this is a very good stop-gap measure.

1 Like

I’m not sure which cartridge is suitable, based on the deck. I’d rather stay with a Rega setup if possible.

By “Rega setup” do you mean a Rega turntable? If so then just pick up some “S” phono boards ( TomTom should have them ) and perhaps a Dynavector 20XL . That should get you started…

1 Like

Thanks edo

I have an Ania on my P6 and the Fono MC is a perfect match. I have no space on the Fraim for the Fono so it hangs on the wall quite happily.

4 Likes

Thanks Nigel, your P6 look lovely and that’s an ingenious way to mount the Fono.

I like that.

Of course you do realise somebody will obviously suggest you hang it on a window, along with ceramic ball bearing interface. :grinning:

Thanks, are S phonobards MM?

The white cords are rather special, made by Vispring.

No. If I remember correctly, they are a 470 R loading value…Dynavector prefers a 435R, but those get you pretty close :slight_smile:

Aren, I think you would be best served by a local dealer who is versed in Naim and could help you accomplish what you are after… There are a lot of variables in vinyl and system matching does really have benefits. That being said, I think you will enjoy the world of vinyl :slight_smile:
ATB,
Mark

1 Like

NA323 S boards have a different loading (470 ohms) and also a steeper roll off over 20kHz. They are the standard boards for low output MC cartridges.

For MM cartridges you need NA322 N boards.

1 Like

Hi Smithfire,
Confusing, isn’t it. Perhaps this may help a bit.
It is based on having bought several Rega turntables, cartridges and phono stages for members of the family, as well as having a 72/hicap/140 and a 32.5/hicap/140 in the family. So it’s based on personal experience.

If you only have circa £200 to spend on a phono stage for a Rega, then buy a Rega Fono (like HH and I have done) and don’t look back.

Alternatively, if you are lucky enough to have a 72/140 or 72/hicap/140 with phono boards that need a service, then send the lot back to Naim and ask the factory to set the phono boards for your specific cartridge (Rega Exact?). Naim did just this for me a few years ago and the results were excellent.

Now, as to how good the serviced phono boards in a NAC72 are, well that’s more nuanced. Given the choice of a Rega Fono or serviced, matched boards in a serviced NAC72, I would go for the NAC72’s boards. However, I would choose a Rega Aria phono stage over the NAC72’s boards every day of the week.

Hope this helps, BF

2 Likes

Thanks BF

Im looking to upgrade to a 72/140 soon. Long term 72/HC/250.

I already have the Fono mm because I run the Exact 2, but find it a bit hit and miss. Rega make them to cost ie £200 so its deffo on the budget side.

How about sending a good late set of Naim mc boards back to Naim and ask for them to be attenuated to a Rega Ania cart?

Great info though

Clive

Clive,

Personally, given the space constraints I would go with matched and serviced internal boards over the external Rega phono stage for several reasons. Internal boards sound good. A hicap is a huge bang for the buck upgrade for the 72 and will also benefit the boards. It will also look very elegant with the 72 and 140.

2 Likes

Thanks Snarfy

Agreed. I think getting the right board to cart match is key here, and from what ive learned from this post is that the naim boards have the potential to be as good as the rega stages.

Thanks for your input

Clive

1 Like

Agreed Mark, I plan to visit David and Alma at Accent on Music in Mt Kisco when things blow over and explore what options they have on hand. I believe they’re dealers for Rega and Linn.

Thanks for clarifying Richard, I’ll be seeking a pair of the N boards.

You bet. Let us know which route you take.