NAC82 523 phono cards v linn Urika

Right, that’s pretty good then! Hmmm OK, I’ll get looking more seriously then.

Didn’t even need a 250 a couple of days ago! Haha from the sounds of it though, maybe it’s what my system ‘needs’, rather than what I’m wanting!

2 Likes

True. In their own designs, they try to minimize mass. They also aim for a highly rigid interface between cartridge and headshell. This is another point against the ART1000, as the use of bolt+nut doesn’t really allow that much torque, unlike having threaded bodies.

As a matter of fact, I would generally agree with Linn that, all else being equal, the lighter and more rigid the better. The challenge is that all else is not equal, and you can’t get the ART1000’s unique generator in any other way, and it’s still the most natural sounding cartridge I’ve ever heard.

I wouldn’t be surprised by that; I would however be more curious if you would prefer the same loading with an Uphorik vs. a different configuration, more from the perspective of getting the best from the ART9.

You might find a few old members on the Linn owners thread on the wam forum. Found it very useful when I started upgrading my LP12 about 8yrs ago.

I meant from the perspective of accessing the content.

The settings are not universally equal for all pre-phonos. It’s not easy to determine and adjust the best setting without testing. It’s not surprising that, for the same cartridge, there are variations depending on the composition of the circuits, the electronics, the preferences of the manufacturers, the signature of the turntables and prephonos; suggestive preferences as well as the other links in the listening system.

Soooo… going slightly off the Urika topic. Been doing lots of scouring for used NAP 250s and I know I asked this question before, but I’m in a bit of dilemma. Serviced within the last 8-10 years olive 250s are getting to be not too far off the cost of a 6-7 year old 250DR’s.

I know I’ve got an 82 (which may not be the case forever even though I’m not looking to change), but is an olive 250 still better suited than a used 250DR, or vice versa. For a few hundred difference, it feels more sensible to get a well received and reviewed later amp. Is the 250DR a decent upgrade to the 180 in my system, or a mismatch?

It’s an upgrade over Nap 180,but an Olive Nap 250 is an even better match with a Nac 82,when I have tried.

1 Like

Are you thinking of upgrading the 82 in the future or sticking with it? If sticking with it I would get a 250 Olive and then get it serviced by Class A Audio. Will cost around £300.

If you are thinking of going for a 252 Supercap DR later then get the 250DR.

I think you’ll get slightly better synergy with all Olive amplification.

But then again you may prefer the 250DR. It will have a lower noise floor and be more detailed. The Olive sound will have slightly rounded edges in comparison.

You don’t seem keen on buying a 250 and servicing it immediately. A newly serviced unit should sound better after burn in than one serviced 8 to 10 years ago.

A 250DR should be an improvement over a 250 Olive with the right preamp. I think either will be a big lift on your 180.

My amplification is a slight mixture but all non DR. Some have mixed DR well including @NickofWimbledon who has 52 with 300DR.

Purists would say to keep it all the same, i.e. all Olive or all DR. I understand your dilemma but whatever you do it will sound great.

I understand you have HiCap 2s, so have a mixed system already.

Used kit is going to be difficult to demo as well. With me I have bought stuff blind after extensive research. Just try to make the best decision you can and enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

To be honest @Dan_M I have no idea if I’ll upgrade the 82. Probably, but no real plans to at this stage. If I did, it’d be to a supercap first to allow it in future. But a change of pre is not in my thinking at the moment. Saying that, a 250 wasn’t a few days ago either! :joy:

It’s more the price differential that’s causing the hesitation. When you can get a 250DR for around £400 more than an olive, it feels like a no brainer to go with the 250DR.

I get why an olive has synergy, in that they’re all a similar vintage and will be voiced/matched, but is a 250DR that way off as to sound bad?

As you rightly point out, my hicap2’s already don’t match my 82 and I’ve been more than happy enough with those. I’m not ultra against going either way, but thinking for a few hundred more it may possibly be more future proof to get a 250DR. I’ve not heard neither!

1 Like

I get the feeling that old classic kit is depreciating and Olive appreciating. If it were me I’d keep to Olive SC then Olive 250. I doubt there would be any regrets.

2 Likes

That is interesting. Why would that be, I wonder?

I preferred serviced 323/5 cards in my NAC 32.5 to the Urika. This was at home when I was slowly realising that modern LP12 upgrades were not all for me - I later sold the Radikal/D as well. Might have felt different if using Linn amps but the Urika robbed the music of some of the rhythm and timing that CB gear is so good at.

2 Likes

I agree,the Urika and Radikal or Lingo 4 is nothing you want to have in a Naim system.
I prefer as it always has been in Naim systems Precirkus LP12.Having had Cirkus and Karousel,they both left me cold.

2 Likes

Hmmm, this is where I feel I may have different tastes maybe?! Obviously not regarding the Urika (as I’ve not heard one), but I had an armageddon 2 (NAPSA) powering my LP12, but the radikal I have now is much much better (to me). It’s why I’m looking at the urika, as so far the move to Karousel and radikal to me have been nothing other than brilliant improvements. Maybe my taste is more towards what the Urika may bring… and dare I say it, more 250DR instead of Olive?

4 Likes

This is the thing… I’m buying blind (or deaf) in many ways, as I’m not getting to hear them for myself before making the jump.

That’s a problem,always good to be able to compare and also to go back.

Yes of course it’s you who decides what is best,Linn dealers will always tell you the lastest is the best.

1 Like

I also went from armageddon 2 to radikal and thought it a great upgrade.

I then added a urika in place of a prefix/supercap and was again pleased with the change, albeit that it was not of the same scale. It did however mean a free fraim shelf!

3 Likes

You should be on safe ground with Urika then but ideally demo first just in case - worth highlighting that you’re moving away from LP12 mechanicals into amplification with this upgrade, so if you like Naim amps then perhaps you will still prefer your existing boards.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hear you on that! Good point!