Naca5 solder quality

Hey guys,
while my system is down, i decided to take a look at my naca5 soldering quality. It is a little concerning that some strands are not soldered. Is this a concern?

I’ve seen worse, but probably best to cut off the plugs and re-do them with new plugs. I would also trim out a little more (approx 10mm) of the webbing between the runs.

Have you soldered NACA5 before?

1 Like

Good results putting the pins in wood block.
This is the best I’ve seen. :+1:t2:
Cymbiosis
IMG_7071

There are no copper wires at all there Skeptical?

1 Like

Some of the wires are cut before soldering, I would probably redo them if I were you.

I would definitely re-solder them. If you are confident to do it yourself and have a powerful soldering iron, maybe give it a try. Otherwise best to find a dealer who knows how to do it properly and pay them to do it.
(The best and worst soldering jobs I’ve seen on NACA5 were both done by authorised Naim dealers, so choose carefully!)

2 Likes

And that neatly sums up the dilemma in using any professional/trade services – how do you know which one will do a good job? Recommendation by someone else who has actually seen the quality of the job is a good way (assuming the person seeing knows a good job when they see it) - but need to be sure the actual person doing the job is the same…

Aside from cost (which probably isn’t applicable here, but speaking generally) that is a prime reason why I do so much by DIY, from wiring to plumbing to a variety of repairs etc, etc. I know I can do a good job, and if for any reason I have to botch something I know what I’ve botched and how I’ve botched it (and wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have 100% confidence in the quality of my botch!)

3 Likes

Having tried to do this - with a 100W iron bought for the purpose - and struggled (badly…), I would delegate this to your Naim dealer, every time.

YMMV, etc…

2 Likes

James Allney of TomTom Audio supplied a pair of NACA5 leads recently, expertly soldered to Chord phono plugs.

I see… Will there be an issue or audible problems if I leave it as it is?
Thank you

It’s not ideal from a performance perspective.

2 Likes

All properly tinned and soldered.
:+1:t2:

1 Like

Tinning the ends of NACA5 before you try to squeeze them into the narrow slots ready for soldering is a mistake you will only make once.

4 Likes

Funny enough this solder job was done by the dealer. Seems pretty poor from what you guys say.

Flow tinned once in the slots. :+1:t2:

1 Like

There are dealers and dealers see my post above. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, so have I :roll_eyes: Agreed, remove some of the webbing and if Amuffin doesn’t fancy re-soldering himself with some new plugs, have a word with someone who can do a nice job :blush:

KR

Peter

3 Likes

Phonos Graham !!! ?

2 Likes

This can be done with advantage…
Flatten the cable before tinning, and keep it flat with the side of a screwdriver. You do need to support the wire on something that is insulating, refractory and non-porous whilst doing this. Some types of vitrified ceramic are suitable.

It looks a bit sloppy.
Desolder and resolder with trimmed ends into the old plugs.
Remove the pins from the plastic case first obviously.