NacA5 Vs Witch Hat Vs Tellurium

I disagree. You have a totally different system and synergy which doesnt translate to the OP system, which I dont think is helpful to the OP, who of course can listen to someone who says cable A is great in a completely different system/context, hold a wet finger in the air and hope. IMO this would be misguided as the issue would appear not to be due to the Naca5 cable.
It goes without saying that time should be taken to demo these things but as I discovered myself it can take a longer period of time to realise ones mistake. Using a cable as a palliative for some other system/room related issue is (cliche alert) recipe for disaster.

:grinning:

1 Like

I have used naca5 and Phantom in my main system, and prefer the Phantom. It tames the highs and tightens the bass, and the mids flow more easily as though someone took their foot off the hose.

In my second system I have tried naca5, Phantom and QED balanced design concept, and prefer the latter. Naca5 and Phantom both produced overwhelming bass and dead highs, whereas the QED was far easier on the ear.

The lesson here is that different cables work in different systems in different rooms, and donā€™t forget different ears. The Phantom has proved a popular alternative to naca5 and is very flexible, and many here like the TQ cables. Both seem to be good choices but as ever, try before you buy.

3 Likes

Yes, read my earlier comments.
I have also heard and read negative comments from Naim users.
Like I already said if it floats ones boatā€¦ But I dont believe this is helping the OP

Hi Graeme,
The point Iā€™m labouring here is, while in the context of differing systems cable A is subjectively better than B that this thread is drifting towards, how and why will Witchhat, Telerium or whatever cure the OPā€™s issue when it appears almost certainly that the use of Naca5 in his system is not the problem.

I am going to bow out here because this may morph into an analogue equivalent of the 'Ethernet switch and cables mania" thread.

I will leave the thread with the suggestion that if the OP wishes to try out alternatives to his current cables then he would do well to get a loan period from a local dealer before contemplating a purchase. Since TQ cables were one of his own considerations, it would make sense to approach a TQ dealer (if one is available nearby).

Perhaps we can both agree that this suggestion is not particularly controversial and may be of some help to the OP. That of course is entirely down to him.

1 Like

The bigger point that is being missed by focus on the cables is that the sources need improving. Different cables will simply deal with those inadequacies in a different way.

2 Likes

I appreciate what you are saying but the OP specifically states he cannot afford system upgrades including superlumina, and for reasons of cable dressing he is looking for a more flexible alternative to naca5.

Out of interest, what do you think is the OPā€™s basic problem?

Edit: Sources.
I just re-read the thread. Yes, I would agree that the amps need better sources, and indeed that would help as I found out by going from cd3.5/hc to cds2/xps.

2 Likes

The fact that SL was developed shows that naim recognise that naca5 can be improved upon.

FWIW I changed from naca5 to TQB with 250DR & Proac Tab 10 and remain (years later) delighted with the uplift in performance.

G

6 Likes

If it is the original Sound Org table, it has an MDF top, no?

Iā€™m going to get my coat before the punch up starts. Last word, please read the thread carefully and fully before jumping in and recommending the OP trys a set of Delerium cables. Its evidently not the solution.
Peace out

:heart:

1 Like

@Dreadatthecontrols, please read the edit in my last post, I agreed with you!

Sorry that was meant as a generic comment not a direct reply.
Anyway Iā€™m off
:heart:

1 Like

TQB are rolled off, this will be good in some installations but ultimately tiring imo
Neee a cheap softer A5 alternative, Naca4/Linn K20.
Phantom is GReat

TQB speaker cable didnā€™t work for me with my IBLs. Killed the music actually. But the interconnect from Dynavector P75 to 282 were really good. N2 on the IBLs is fine, I canā€™t tell much difference to the A5. Using Phantom on my Isobariks, which Iā€™m really happy with.

As intended ? Are you a brother of Analogmusic ? He advocates very often the Naim intended sound.
And even if you are right, what is the problem of deviating from this nebulous intended Naim sound? If you just prefer another speaker cables and find that it sounds better for you?

Iā€™ve had my WitchHat Phantom 10m pair (customized with AQ series 500 bananas) now for a half week and I am very happy with the results, compared to my 7m pair of NACA5. The sound is more musical, refined and neutral so far, without any loss of detail, PRaT or bass weight and grip. I think itā€™s a keeper.

5 Likes

I twice auditioned Naca5 vs TQ Ultra Black II. I even tried 2 different speakers with a SN3. The TQ was better every time. I ordered a set.

2 Likes

Try the cables from True Signal Cables.
Were the OEM provider to Chord, will sell direct and allow demos.

I have the DIN to RCA Ultimate for my NDS to Sim Audio Amp.
Much better than Naim HiLine.

Simon

1 Like

Nac A5 is fine but even naim themselves have an alternative, its horrible stuff to work with and quite dark sounding. In my opinion there is lots of better cable, that is easier to work with and sounds better.

Also this amp thing, does the nacA5 and the S L have the same resistance etc, as if not then shouldnā€™t be using it?

In the past i have even run 1.5 meter lenghts of a different cable on my old olive 250 amp, it didnt hurt it and it ran like this for well over 5 years, why well for one i didnā€™t even know about a recommend minimum lenght for them.
But i do think we all get hung up on all this cable, rack and sometimes even upgrades, as would be very interesting to see how we all got on in a blind test. Hopeless probably.

3 Likes

FWIW, I switched from non-Naim specā€™d cables on a SN2 to the WitchHat N2 at 2x5 meters. Frankly, I can complain about plenty of things other than the cables and currently have no intention to look for anything else. Very good value for money.