Naim 282/272/250.2 with Active speakers

You have music :+1:

How did you end up connecting them in the end ?

just 2 RCA from speakers going into 272ā€™s preamp out.

1 Like

Thinking getting ND555 by unloading 282/272/250.2/HCDR.

Since going with active speakers anyways, I am thinking selling 282/272/250.2/HCDR then buy ND555.

My question is given that ND555 doesnā€™t have a pre-out, how could I make this ND555 and Unity Audio active speaker work ? Can I use DIN-RCA or DIN-Balance ? Would I not get volume control ? even though the ND555 has volume control option ?

Thanks a lot.

The ND555 is a source which you would traditionally use with a preamp rather than direct into a power amp.
Having said that, it has an optional volume control which is disabled by default, but can be turned on, so that it will work without a separate preamp. This is not what Naim would recommend, and there may be a reduction in sound quality using the built in digital volume control. Still, it would be interesting to see how it performs compared to a more conventional Naim system.
To connect it you would use the unbalanced input on your speakers as the streamer is unbalanced, with either an RCA to RCA or DIN to RCA cable.

1 Like

It might be interesting to hear how an Atom HE into these speakers would sound? And it would just be XLR to XLR :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess Atom HE would be about same quality or worse than a 272 streamer? I am using 272/555PS.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-atom-headphone

1 Like

Iā€™m not really clear on what you want to do. As you have active speakers your choice with Naim are the 272 that you already have, which you could improve with a power supply: XPS DR or 555 PS, or loose the 272 and use the Atom HE, giving you the newer streaming tech but probably a good step down for SQ assuming the speakers are good. The 282 and 250 are redundant. Otherwise wait for the 272 replacement.

The Atom is Naimā€™s entry level streamer. With a range of new products about to be announced I think itā€™s fair to say that something more in line with your budget and expectations is probably in the pipeline.

1 Like

I have no experience of these speakers, but from looking them up it seems that they are ā€˜brutally honestā€™ monitors aimed at studio desk use. So they may not be ideal for home audio. Have you also looked at speakers such as ATCā€™s active 19 or 40, or even 50? Your 272 would be perfect with either the 19 or 40. The ND555 is superb but are you aware that it also needs a Ā£7,000 power supply to work? Would Ā£3,000 active monitors be appropriate with a Ā£20,000 streamer? The ND555 has a digital volume control on board in order to get approval for some of the streaming software - itā€™s not meant as a proper preamp.

Iā€™d do a bit of research to work out the best Naim product for you, and indeed whether different active speakers might be better. That you can consider a Ā£20,000 ND555 and a Ā£2,300 Atom HE almost in the same breath suggests that this might be a very good idea.

I already have 555PS ready to be used for ND555. That is why I am consideringā€¦

As others have recommended, if you intend to use an ND555 with your active speakers, then you really do need a pre-amplifier in between. Your 282 + a power supply would be the obvious choice.

Best, BF

1 Like

In that case Iā€™d put the 555 on the 272 and sell the rest. A new platform replacement for the 272 is on the way as sure as eggs is eggs and when that appears you can trade up.

2 Likes

With that kind of budget you should really have a bit of a rethink.

Using a Ā£20k streamer with those studio active speakers is somewhat of a mullet. You certainly shouldnā€™t be using the attenuated line out of an ND555 as a pre. You need a proper pre.

I would recommend that you look at the Dutch & Dutch 8c. Sell your speakers, the 282 and the 250.2. Use the 272 as a streamer pre. There will probably be a 272 replacement with an improved streaming functionality; you can then try that and see what you think.

Itā€™s the exact opposite of a mullet. Unbalanced perhaps, but you need to think up a different fish!

I think monkfish have been seen swimming in these waters from time to time.:blush:

Roger

Dutch & Dutch 8c is exactly what I am thinking. After trying active, it is very clear that Naim Pre/Power significantly underperformed for the same amount of money. Itā€™s a lot of overcomplication and unnecessary cables.

That said, CDX2/555PS is still a very good source that I intend to keep.

I auditioned a pair of 8C. Very good indeed in an all digital system, when placed 20cm from a solid back wall. Much harder to make work well in a system with both digital and analogue sources.

Best regards, BF

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.