Naim 5.1 system

That’s rather odd question on a hi fi forum. Nobody needs it but that doesn’t stop everyone wanting it.:smirk:

I’m just thinking that through over the weekend the simple option is to just buy a AV amp for around $1-1.5ks. However for some reason I’ve always wanted a 5.1 channel set using Naim amps.

3 Likes

I know the feeling all too well :grinning:

1 Like

I ran an AV2 for 19 years - starting from a 175 and 150 as my amps, all the way up to 300/250/145 until it finally died (after a few minor repairs) and wasn’t economically viable to repair. As pointed it doesn’t decode any of the new formats but if working it will serve you very well. Mine sounded great until the very end.

I know it won’t play the new formats but I’m hoping it can still read the info (audio) and play good old fashion 5.1 Dolby Surround.

1 Like

That, it did very very well.

2 Likes

Would probably be quite good fun in a second set-up with a big screen in another room.

It’s going to be hidden in our living room.

1 Like

Did you go ahead with this Pete ?

I bought a Yamaha AV amp instead.

Good move imo :+1:

A much simpler solution not to mention cheaper. :grin:

How do you have it set up? Is it part of a Naim system as well?

No it’s just an AV system for the TV I do run the Atom into it for streaming.

Many moons ago I owned a DVD5 and an AV2 as part of a full Naim surround set-up. They were without doubt two of the worst pieces of kit I’ve ever bought. Shockingly bad. Absolutely full of bugs. An example - when DVD playback was paused and then re-started all sound was lost. The solution - switch off and on! A little inconveient when half-way through a movie. I telephoned Naim. Yes. those were the days when you could actually discuss a problem on the telephone with someone who was knowledgable and knew what they were about. I was told that there were many such bugs in the software and that Naim were working towards a fix for them. I was also told- in rather hushed and somewhat embarrassed tones - not to expect any solutions anytime soon.

I got fed up and sold the DVD5 and AV2 and bought a Pioneer DVD player and Sony AV receiver. These both performed faultlessly with superb picture and sound.

The experience left me feeling cheated by a company I had hitherto respected and thought were totally reliable. You live and learn…

I was really only interested in the 2 amps (1x3 channel 1x2) but I’ve bought a Yamaha AV amp instead.

A wise move.

I still run an AV2 as the latest processors are unfortunately not great, I had an Acurus ACT 4 and went back to the AV2 and analogue out from a heavily modded Panasonic 9000, HDMI for audio has a lot to answer for. You don’t need overhead channels and subs can be EQ’d and phase aligned separately

2 Likes

So do I…

2 Likes

I know where you come from… I too had a DVD5 and it wasn’t faultless. But I had kind and quick support from Steven Hopkins on a couple of occasions and the DVD5 worked ok ever since.
I said it and I repeat it - if an afterlife exists, I wish that St. Peter is just like Steven Hopkins.

4 Likes

Our av2 will soon be moved to the gardenhouse to sing along with the SuperNait and a projector. Still need an amp for rear and possibly centre channel (nap175, but I’m running out or disposable money).