Naim 500

The power amplifier gain has only a small part to play in how loud the system sounds at the listening position.

Indeed, as I have written in many threads. However in this thread I I believe we’re talking about two amps in the same system and room setup, so the diference in amp gain has a direct effect on sound level, and unless being played at high levels the proportionately limited max current capacity compared to other Naim amps would be unlikely to be of significance.

It is possible, I suppose, that some frequencies are being amplified by different amounts compared with other frequencies. It may be that the bass sounds quieter on the 500, for instance, because it is more controlled - less flapping about, as it were. Or the treble sounds less aggressive with the 500, so higher volume sounds better. Possibly.

I listened at higher volumes when I took my SL2s active - but they didn’t seem higher. But on the subject of 300
To 500 (which move I made myself late last year) I am not listening with the volume any different now than with 300

1 Like

The 300 is a peach of a setup with SL2s, daily I thoroughly enjoy my none DR300 into SL2s and find it hard to believe it can get any better.

1 Like

I read that the 500 non Dr was serviced in 2011. If it was hardly used during the last 10 years, perhaps it is not working at 100% today ? Is it possible ? Just wondering.
It could explain the minor difference vs the 300 dr too.
And apparently a lot have reported that the difference between 300 dr and 500 non dr is not so big.

1 Like

The OP needs to hear against another non-DR 500. That would end the matter - either it’s faulty, or simply isn’t right for the OP in his/her system, at least as set up, including room.

3 Likes

Let’s be civil to one another please. Thanks.

I would leave it all alone now you have had a fiddle with it all, let it warm up nicely and settle in, then after a few days, get your favourite album out and just play it.
While hopefully enjoying it, see how you feel about the sound and go from there

1 Like

You could alway send Naim an email with number and ask what they did with it.

I’m telling you straight up a Good Nap500 will eat a 300 dr.
Now the other thing that I can’t get on with and that’s none dr and dr in the same system. Synergy goes out the window in my opinion.

1 Like

This is a line the dealers give out to sell 300DRs. The reality is that the 500 is a superb poweramp. If you pay attention to setup it will deliver stunning music.

Phil

3 Likes

Can your dealer loan you another 500 to make a comparison in your system at home?

Autocorrect changed line to loan. Now corrected.

Phil

There is a problem with your 500 if you are having to crank the volume up beyond the 250 or 300.

This is a problem which you should be inviting your dealer to resolve.

I do not buy into there being a problem due to burndies not quite hanging freely; powerlines not fed through a sparkly bottomed power block or any other such micro details. Hopefully your dealer can help identify where the problem is or have the unit sent to naim hq for investigation.

Peter

1 Like

Hope you have checked the speaker polarity…just sayin😚
Looked for a broken hiline…
Factory reset on the preamp…

Hi
I have got the Nac A5 positive connected to the ridge side of the cable.
The cable is 3.5m.
I’ve gone through everything & checked.
I did this first before seeking advice.
I think I will loan a Dr’d 250 or another non Dr 500 if possible as some suggested.
I will contact the dealer next week.
Playing music yesterday with dial at 11 o’clock on some albums.
That would be blasting with the 135’s.

Hi
I rang Naim.
The serial numbers don’t exist but they are on the system, after a bit of searching.
He explained they either belonged to an employee or that they were test units.
That’s all he could tell me at the time.
It was serviced 2011, It went in for a checkup March this year & had the green logos done & check up.
This is when Naim gave it a full bill of health to the dealer.
I will now contact the dealer to say I’m not happy about the dial level I need to play music & see if they have another non Dr 500 to loan.

Out of interest at that setting 11 o,clock my system would be very loud and in between tracks would be hearing the 500 fan cooling unit…….is the fan kicking in?

Hi
I haven’t noticed that but that’s something I will listen out for now when playing.

1 Like

OK interesting post…I did something similar went from 250dr to an old 500non dr… the 500 was vastly superior… I had the 500 dr serviced and it took an age to come on song around 3 months. I suggest you keep that 500 on all the time. What power cord are you using you need a full fat powerline as an absolute minimum. Also stay with the standard cables… The 500 also needs to be carefully located the burndies need to hang free unstressed… Also try plugging in the mains plug…in and out about 20 times to clean pins… That 500 is superb one last thing it is around 10 years since a service…now you don’t know if previous owner powered on and off very regularly… so prepare yourself for a service…

1 Like