Naim 552 topology question

As for the fundamental problem, because I was also prone to misplacing things: I got myself a larger briefcase (kind of) that holds all hifi small parts including cables. I use a ziploc bag for each part, with a description on a piece of paper inside. No more problems, more peace of mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed if it were me I would insist the dealer send it back to factory for a full check up

When a 552 is in full form it’s really an extraordinary preamp

Yes that was also the case with 272…very microphonic…but still good…you just have to have a really good support…installing the 552 eliminated all traces of microphony immediately…amazing…

My goodness what is the world coming to

Take it back and demand a refund

There are some real cowboys out there

1 Like

I believe so… certainly seems to make musical enjoyable… and brings out the rhythm and pace from tracks if it’s there… I do think the Etude power amp goes some way to achieving that with my ATCs… a cracking little amp.

Interesting how does one hear microphony ?

Typically microphone reveals itself as a loss of low level signal detail due to modulated distortions added in circuitry due to mechanical vibration of components, effectively raising the noise floor of the amplifier stages, pickups, tonearms etc. it may also interfere with feedback circuitry causing very low level non linearities.

However compared to valve circuitry I find transistor based circuitry relatively low microphone. With some valve amps, knock the case and you can hear a subdued knock in the speakers… I have not experienced that with any Naim amps.

Sorry to read all this you must have that horrible sense of doubt now.

Your dealer should sort this with Naim.

Good luck with it all.

G

Yes, I was also confused by the rock-hard feet on my NDS. I cast some aspersions on them in a post and was promptly corrected by @anon4489532 (in no uncerrtain terms). Upon reflection, I realised that it was rather silly of me to think or assume that the careful engineers at Naim had installed, less than adequate, feet on a $15000 CAD piece of kit.
So, you’re not the only one who got this wrong.

When I had the 272…certain vocal tracks with female artists…would set off almost a feedback loop…certain notes were extended and would go right through you…thats an extreme…example… the nearest thing I can remember getting close to this was feedback vibration from an early turntable…like a dual CS505. In fairness to the 272 it only happened rarely…but then if it was doing this it was probably masking lower level stuff…the 552/ND555 completely elinated this…

Is it only the 552 (in terms of preamps) that has the floating PCB design to reduce microphonics?

Of the Classic preamps, yes. The others have simplified decoupled mounts for the PCBs.

The Superline uses a similar brass loaded spring suspension system for the PCB to the type found in the NAC552.

1 Like

Is it the same system in the NDS? And does the ND555 share it?

The NDS and ND555 both have a floating chassis.

1 Like

@Ebuckley002

Did you get any joy from the dealer. Nice to hear the ending of this story.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.