Naim 72 pre amp

yeah will do, thanks for all of your help

Darran at Class A Sheffield is highly recommended :+1:

1 Like

Is the HiCap an early unit maybe an upgraded CB to Olive case as socket 3 has the 24v supply to the pre amp but to power the 72 use socket 4 and plug amp into socket 2

1 Like

If it does have a the single rail 24V on socket 3, note that you will still need the link plug to be fitted to the NAC72 in order to use it.

Just as a question, how is the Naim link plug for the 72 configured?

Could crohamblues make a suitable link using a blank din plug?

Thanks

Very bad idea. Too easy to cause damage this way. A new replacement link plug is inexpensive and easily available.

Yes, it was to get an idea of ​​the bridge used in the Link plug.
Sorry for the bad idea… :sweat_smile:

So I picked up the boxes for all of my Naim kit and for my Linn Sondek today. The plug was in the box… low and behold, as advised above, the 72 works with the plug powered from the 140, so I wonder if its simply and issue with the SNAIC5… TBH and forgive my limited understanding, what is the purpose of the HICAP when it appears to work perfectly well with a 72/140 combo…

thanks for all of the advice BTW, I also picked up some Naim SBL speakers, which also have an issue im going to start another thread about…

That’s good. At least the 72 is healthy. It could be a problem with the SNAIC5 or the Hicap. Can you borrow another SNAIC5 to try and rule yours out ?

Reason for the Hi-Cap ? The 140 can provide a single 24v rail to the 72 but this supply shares the same transformer as the power amplifier section. A Hicap can provide 2x24v rails to the 72 and its transformer is dedicated just to provide power to the regulators providing power for the 24v rails.

thanks.

@crohamblues
Have you checked this bit. If socket 3 on the Hicap has a power rail then you need to use socket 2.

Are your Snaics genuine Naim?

Hi just tried it, still no luck… this is the back of the unit

Ok so that’s cleared that bit up. If you have a multimeter check you have 24 - 25v on both rails on socket 4.
If not the one or both regulators could have a dead Tant which would mean a service at Naim or a Naim Authorised Agent.

To add to the technical explanation given by James, you really want to a the hi-cap power supply because the sonic quality is greatly improved over an on-board NAP power supply. Difference is like going from 2D to 3D.

1 Like

At this point I would obtain a Multimeter (cost around £10) and measure the +ve pins on socket 4.
If both +ve measure 24v then connect the snaic and measure the pins, you may just have a solder break within the plugs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.