Naim and the KISS principle. The end of multiple boxes!

I did say over £400, so I’m technically correct. The only problem is that it’s quite a bit over.

1 Like

I thought you said enjoy the music?

2 Likes

People were stating the same thing 15 years ago and 99% of us are still streaming cd quality files most of the time. All of the DACs that were said to be becoming obsolete every other year are still capable. If a 222 somehow becomes a door stop in ten years (not a chance) then I’m sure there will be a better product available to replace it.

Indeed as you say streaming has been around for at least two decades, I remember getting into it in the late 1990s… when the whole streaming thing started to take off for hifi and video enthusiasts.
Here we are all these years later in 2024, and we are still streaming, yes not so much CD or Tuner… but I think there has been a maturing of hifi… and of course a consolidation of formats with the death of formats like Minidisc, DCC and the impending death of MQA in that time. So I think we will see a move to smaller and combined systems. In some ways such integrated systems can offer SQ improvements… and with much lower power digital circuitry the need for separation between that and sensitive audio circuitry is perhaps less.
I think there was a faddishness for a while where size equated to quality… and I think tastes and the market have largely moved on, especially in Europe. We shall see, but I am expecting more focus on raising the bar in one box systems and integrated going forward… until perhaps in another 20 years the cycle of fashion rotates again to separates.

1 Like

In my younger days I remember seeing an olive stack of boxes and thought that looks impressive, now I think the idea of a one box like Linn DSM is much more preferable ….

I was ok with multi box until I had an issue and it was a pain to diagnose……

Right now for me less is more so for once in my life I appear to be “on trend!”

Come in Naim build that super nova!

2 Likes

What do you have?

Indeed, in my experience integrated systems tend to last longer than my seperates… there appears less to go wrong, perhaps because there are less of the components that are likely to fail… as to some extent they are shared.
I still have my NAD Integrated from 1989… admittedly I haven’t powered it up recently but I am sure it would be fine.

3 Likes

Hasn’t there always been “one box” solutions, Dansettes, music centres? Surely the Unitis etc are just modern day equivalents? It doesn’t mean “separates” are finished even if the configurations might change.

3 Likes

yes - the original radiograms from B&O and Fidelity were single box systems. I think the Dansettes and music centres were more to address the current day Muso market etc.

I am sure separates are not finished - and will continue. Its the degree and extent of separation that will probably be rationalised in the current fashion cycle.

I think the popularity of low box count high-quality home audio systems may be due not to fashion, but rather to the fact that those who can afford them tend to be older and literally struggle to perform the required installation and maintenance of multi box/multi rack systems.

I turn 60 next year and am beginning to enter that category myself. :musical_note::loud_sound::nerd_face:

60 is the new 40 especially if fit and active!!
At 52 I decided to reduce my box count to 5 mainly for a one Fraim setup and restore order to the living space, nothing lost really (except boxes) still sounds incredible.

2 Likes

Typical Saturday thread, I think Tony is a bit bored and needed something to do…:smirk:

I think the newer generations of music fans tend to focus on low box count systems in my experience - and yes best not patronise these people assuming an Apple iPhone or a musical Alexa is good enough - those are and never were the music enthusiasts we are referring to. I think vast multi box systems belong to a certain demographic that is possibly starting to die out.

Its funny though - when you do walk off the multi box count treadmill and actually listen to modern superbly engineered integrateds you kind of questions what you had been doing.

6 Likes

The turning point for me was when I had a dead channel on my system and had to figure out which damn box was the culprit, switching boxes on and off, swapping and changing cables, a real PITA. I thought to myself that is it and that’s when I decided to downsize.
Much happier at the moment with the Nova and the 250, nothing else and it looks a lot neater.

8 Likes

Whilst multiple boxes are a preference for some I think it’s worth acknowledging that that never was the direction of travel for most. It’s a minority sport; always has been and the arguments in favour of multiple boxes lessen by the year.

The sound quality argument is largely a nonsense. Inctedible systems can be built with 1 source; an integrated amp od any variety and decent speakers and that has been the case for some time. You may get slightly more of what you want by movimg to multiple boxes but the idea these are night and day differences is mostly untrue. They are merely differences which matter to you which to others may be mere slivers. Unjustifiable cost to some. Necessary to others.

Where I do think audiophiles have it badly wrong is in referring to smaller or 1 box systems as “lifestyle: products in a pejorative manner. Absolutely 100% the wrong way around. If you elect for a multiple box system that is, at minimum, as much a lifestyle product choice as 1 box and a pair of speakers and arguably much more so.

6 Likes

You get that is no many areas with enthusiasts - not just audiophiles - emerging views that challenge the perceived orthodoxy are often belittled and referred to in a pejorative way… as if trying to resist change and challenge. You tend to see this more when quite large sums of money are involved in the particular pursuit as if there is a fear that suddenly all those high value purchases may become worthless.

2 Likes

I had a vague (Phantom?) memory that you had sold a multi box Naim system and got an Accuphase integrated.

Or did I get that wrong?

Also, why and nova and a power amp?

I thought a Nova has a power amp in it?

You’re right about selling my stack but the initial plan was to replace it with a Nova and keep the Ovators. The speakers, in my room, needed a little “push” so I decided to keep the 250.
It’s worked for me and couldn’t be happier!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’ve turned 60! So far it’s not a cliff-edge but I’m beginning to re-examine my priorities.

I’ve really enjoyed my hifi journey as more and more of the magic of the music has been revealed but over the winter I’ve been getting used to the convenience of my Atom to the point where I’m wondering now about getting the CDs into a hard drive of some description and using the Atom as a pre.

Do I want to be heaving about these 30lb boxes and making all the connections? I’m beginning to have my doubts, but I’ll be experimenting in the coming months and we’ll see.

3 Likes

Pioneered by Amstrad IIRC. Having separate, (sometimes attached but detachable), speakers, I rather thought they were the budget end of hifi (mid fi) for people who wanted what was commonly called “a stereo”: The source/ amp box was even styled to look like hifi separates! Muso to me is more like a sophisticated/grown up ‘boom box’ - far better sounding than those, but still not hifi.