Naim announcement tonight?

I think this is a really good thing. Yes the Pininfarina is a very limited run but they have hooks into many brands from Ferrari to Peugeot. If this produces a mu-so like tie up with another manufacturer and produces profits that can be recycled back into making Naim products better I am all for that. I remember the hurmpf when Porsche announced the boxster, interesting to note how Porsche has fared after that … diversity generally makes a company stronger and has to be better than the “eggs in one basket” approach. My hat is off to Naim rather than being eaten :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure I feel the disengagement others are feeling. Since Charlie came in I am feeling a reach out towards the ”old school” Naimies. The retro signage at the factory, the old posters at the factory, the mug and T-shirt trialled at Bristol this year all are aimed clearly at long term buyers.

12 Likes

From a marketing and business perspective, this alliance is evidently a good thing and should certainly positively increase Naim’s cash flow (medium term).

Positive cash flow means developpement perspectives as well as R&D investments.

In my opinion, this alliance is an obvious good thing.

6 Likes

I’m nonplussed about the whole thing, but wonder if it does increase Naim’s cash flow. I don’t know how these partnerships work, but perhaps it is a bit like selling advertising space in a movie or something, so maybe they don’t make much money?

There yer go then, from the mouth of the chief horse no less.

Thanks Mr Henderson. The ideal time scan for me that would be ‘worth the wait’ is a year or so. Fingers crossed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Put those hats on ice @anon4489532

3 Likes

They probably won’t make a lot of profit, if any. This is most probably a marketing move. A brilliant one, in my opinion.

1 Like

Both our Audis are seriously ancient (2002 & 2005), but the sound systems have auxiliary inputs, so we bought Dension Ice-Link kits to connect our iPods. Both cars were configured such that the track selection was done on the iPod itself, rather than on the in-car unit. They’ve done well for us for many years, although mine seems to have got itself into a muddle, and probably needs a complete reboot!

What’s next? Naim for Learjet!

Seriously though Charlie, my twin hopes for Naim’s future are that you have already hired the best minds in the appropriate fields from Oxbridge, Manchester and London etc., and that Naim’s employees feel they are being led rather than managed. If so, then I’m not sure that many of us here have much to worry about.

Best,
Chris

1 Like

Judging by all these comments, rather than being a PR success, this seems to be a PR disaster, certainly among the Naim community on here.

To be fair, I don’t see this ‘leak’ as a planned PR exercise as things appear to have exploded from a low key tweet from a PR bod, which was picked up by a Naim customer. However this ‘launch’ now takes pride of place on the Naim website and I received a rather silly e-mail today formally announcing the partnership.

I also think the timing of the announcement of an exclusive high end partnership in the midst of a global pandemic is unfortunate and just rubs salt in the wounds. It also comes at a time when (some) Naimees have been gagging for mainstream product launch information (the new 272) while others are still suffering quality issues. The launch of an ultra high end, unaffordable product that is of little or no interest to these customers just heightens their disappointment.

As this partnership started over a year ago and has come to fruition now, I guess Naim had no choice but to launch it in an attempt to garner any possible PR kudos. The tone of the copy just seems a little brash, but I guess, due to the nature of the products involved, it has to be. Just really bad timing.

11 Likes

Epic fail Naim.

1 Like

I suppose that the 'electric cars might need a PS upgrade at some time!
In all seriousness though:
The year is 2020.
A 2.6 million car is obscene.
A 1900 bhp car is obscene.
Where does the electricity came from to charge the car…all from renewable or nuclear power. Even if it is, you cannot defeat thermodynamics, you cannot beat entropy.
As a species, we need to grow up…FAST.

2 Likes

Marketing gobbledegook!

In reality I guess only a few hundred of the car are likely ever to be made, If that, so the direct benefit to Naim will be small - but the advertising power of being associated with the latest, greatest supercar that will be reviewed and detailed in all car magazines and lifestyle magazines is probably immense, likely increasing sales of Muso and Qube no end, to contribute to Naim’s financial stability, so I think the nay-sayers may be wrong.

What it does seem to demand, to my mind, is a Muso or Qube variant to be available for the quality end of the bulk car market.

1 Like

Well said.

Very much so. Many people are suffering so much, through loss or restrictions on living. But hey, look at us and this unaffordable shiny car that none of you will ever come close to having. Not great PR.

I was hoping for something like others that was more for forum users, @charlie.henderson has given a good explanation. I am sitting in our holiday cottage with a QB2 helped in some way by the Bentley experience…got the Naim house sound for £750, brilliant listening to Qobuz, it’s portable…life is good. Time to move on, we will have something for us, soon enough.

7 Likes

Yes…I guess you areright…its hard to satisfy everyone

What! A QB2 and 2 555PS’s :clap::sunglasses: and a holiday :flushed:

2 Likes

Thats got me thinking. New project?

Nait 5i taken from the bedroom, inverter, both under the seats somewhere. All I need is to know which output from the head unit goes into theNaitt aux.

jobs an orange root vegetable.

What like Muso you mean @NigelB.

1 Like