A couple of time recently when I’ve used the app it has driven the volume constantly up. This evening the volume control was set to the max when I unmuted - fortunately I was close enough to turn it down manually but I could feel the volume being driven. Closing the app stopped that and on re-opening it everything was okay. Hopefully my PMC’s are okay - I’m trying to hear if that’s the case as I type here.
Has anyone else experienced this or is it something to do with my NDX2 and how it is controlling the amp?
I recall a NDX2 firmware update not long ago as well as the app and this issue has to my knowledge happened only since those events.
A few question that people will eventually ask
What firmware version are you on
Is your app on Apple or Android
What version is the app
What is the NDX2 going into (Amp)?
Yep the same thing happened with my system a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, it was playing a gentle piano sonata at the time so no damage to either my speakers or my ears. I had to put the system into standby in order to stop the volume from marching back to maximum after I had turned it down. This was with a NC system - 333/332/300 x 2/350s.
Keep the volume on your amplifier at 9 o’clock and then you won’t blow the amp or speakers.
Had similar thing recently and Spotify app went from 50% to 100% volume. I had amp at 12 o’clock. Rushed over and turned it down. No damage down but was a scare!
By keeping amp at 9 o’clock shouldn’t have issues. I have worked out Spotify app with Naim now and all is good!
The problem with the new classic is that if you are using tidal connect and accidentally hold the physical volume up button on your IPhone, it can shoot up to 100% volume on the nac332 in about 1 second. You have to be very careful when using your phone’s physical buttons for volume control.
This is definitely a problem, I wish you could disable your phone buttons from controlling your amp’s volume.
I should clarify that I have never had an issue with the Naim app and the volume control, it has only been when playing music from the Tidal app which is quite often since I like to play my daily discovery.
Does the NAC332 still accept Infra Red signals? For my older NAC82 amp I use a cable from my NDX2 with a jack one end and IR the other. In this situation, my volume up has to be done in the Naim app, and is not effected by the phone volume position
The NAC332 doesn’t accept infra red. It is RF-based Zigbee wireless protocols. The only solution I have found to prevent accidentally blowing up your speakers is turning your max volume down to 70% or lower in the Naim app.
The physical phone buttons do not do anything when using the Naim app which is good, but when using Tidal Connect or apple airplay then the buttons control the NAC332 by 10 with a quick press which is a very big jump in volume. If you press and hold the volume, you will be at 100% before you even realize the volume is going up. I think Naim would have to coordinate with Apple to fix this problem. It is seriously dangerous for your ears and speakers. You could have music playing and be in another room trying to turn up the volume for a game on your phone or other app like FaceTime and be in for a surprise. The other issue is if you like to play a game on your phone and turn the volume down so you can hear the music but not the game then the stereo volume goes to zero as well. You have to put your phone on silent.