Naim App Ideas/Improvements

You’re in love with your NAS?

2 Likes

The cover-art flipping was used by Apple in early iPod software (for example). Utterly impractival, once you have more than few albums (try flipping through hundreds / thousands).

And as @anon4489532 pointed out - there is a similar view already enabled in the app.

Not impractical if done well and scrolling is smooth and fast. Also the view suggested is nothing like what we already have, at least not on my tablet or phone.

1 Like

with the last app update with android, store in my core i can’t anymore play my favorites songs randomly or in sequence, is someone can explain how to proceed now to solve this bug
thanks

The cover-flow view is a bit unpractical when the collection starts to grow.

Apple is replacing cover-flow with the new gallery-view in the latest macOS Finder. It is not used in iTunes any longer I believe.

It is a matter of opinion. It is quicker to browse using the present layout but I prefer to peruse my collection and take my time choosing something to listen to. I really miss looking through my physical collection. I have over 2000 albums so I do understand were you are coming from. However if you had the alphabet selection at the bottom as suggested this would greatly improve selection speed.

Also, if it ever was implemented I would want it as well as the present views and not instead of.

In the IOS app at least, in the album view there is an alphabetical short cut down the right hand side. So why doesn’t that do what you want?
Best

David

It does do what I want, I believe it will ‘feel’ more like looking through a physical collection as I have used it in other media programs and it was great.

I started the thread for app suggestions and improvements, as I am personally not impresssed with it. I also thought not everyone else was due to people purchasing Roon. Also with it being a Naim forum maybe the people in charge would take notice.

I just think a few interface tweaks would greatly improve the app and was after other users thoughts.

Well, I think you’ve got them!

They could fix my recent problem with the cd button. I can’t eject or rip with the cd :cd: button in the app on my iPad or iPhone but it works on my wife’s android phone! Anyone else having this problem?

I‘m using minimserver with my 272. I have a Problem to choose more than one Album. For example you surf to a composer with three albums and then choose „3 Albums“ with the contextmenue by holding on it then use „play“ only the first and last album is in the playlist. This also Happens when you use the wonderful group-feature in minimserver. In the old app it worked why I use this feature for nearly all my operas to group the diffrent acts.

The second time naim makes the app worse to use it. First was the change how the search-button was implemented. But this discussion was deleted in a short time. I can‘t understand why naim change all the things for TIDAL. For User without TIDAL it is a bad way.

I‘m waiting for a search over all. When I need this feature I use Linn Kazoo! Also waiting for Qobuz Integration! In the meantime I use Kazoo with bubbleupnpserver. Maybe I change to Linn for the better App.

I’m finding the app won’t update the ‘last played’ screen.

I play a few albums (Unitiserve > Mu-so). N-stream ‘last played’ shows those albums. The app ‘last played’ screen does not - some of the time. This is an inconsistent behaviour.

Solutions tried - closing the app and restarting, deleting the app and reinstalling. Neither work.

Any ideas?

By nStream do you mean nServe? Are you using spdif or upnp? Maybe it makes a difference whether you used nServe to play it or the Naim app to play over the network.

If you play something over UPnP, it normally still appears in the N-Serve last played list, but over the years I have noticed many inconsistencies between the last played lists on the two apps.

Apologies, n-Serve. All music played from the app over UPnP.

Just started a new album, n-Serve updated instantly, app has not and is only showing music played yesterday.

I always found the cover flow view looking great and being fun to play with, but for really browsing your (big) library it is very annoying and IMHO useless. So please, do not implement it.

(I think it would be very hard to implement it really smoothly for mobile devices. The cover art had to be loaded in high resolution and instantly for really many if not all albums. I think you will never get this really quick to use.)

I would love to see this kind of graphical improvement!

1 Like

I noticed this morning that the naim app has been updated on my iPhone, did you try that latest update yet ? It seems they “fixes the issue where the first track of a UPNP Playlist may not play” and also some other TIDAL related issues, among other things.

I’ll try that latest update once home tonight

Search (magnifying glass) of nas drive not fixed on android update.

Not necessarily an app issue, but would be nice (and a small coding correction I suspect) if Artists sorted by name excluded the first “The” in the name. The much maligned iTunes has managed this for years, so the Beatles appears under B, rather than appearing somewhere after Teenage Fanclub.

2 Likes