Naim App Ideas/Improvements

Where did you get that display with larger album cover pics and letters down the right-hand side, halibut?

Mine looks like this:

I think the letters down the side are on the iOS version not android (don’t ask me why?). To toggle through different views, swipe down from top of screen (when at top of list), a filter icon will show on left top and an icon to toggle views will show on top right.

Hope this helps

App has what is needs to be functional, all the extra glossy fluff people should look to jump on the Roon bandwagon if that’s appealing.

When we get the screen off option, then happy days.

Although I’d love to see Alexa integrated given the uniti range has Zigabee.

Hi All,

This might help some of you…after a month of wondering how come the A-Z order setting is not available in the Naim app to reorder artists, albums etc. I have found it. I feel little silly now, but to be honest I am not sure why this is not set as default view.

This is the view I have been seeing since I got the app;

Today I pulled the page slightly down (just above the top albums) and more options popped up including search, A-Z, list and album cover view.

I still cant see the alphabet letters on the side and I use both android and iOS. Perhaps this is something only available for server source?

This has just lifted my opinion of the app (:sweat_smile:), so perhaps it also helps others.

Thanks
Sven

1 Like

Yes @timbre, this has always been possible but thanks for sharing as every little tip helps some of us.

I use the iOS app with my Naim Uniti Core. I’ve ripped almost 1000 CDs so we are familiar companions. I’d much like to see the app enhanced in several ways.

1. Add field for Composer and allow search by Composer
  2. Add field for Conductor and allow search by Conductor
  3. Expect the Artist field to have multiple entries. Designate a separator, ideally a semi-colon because thar’s what Roon uses, and have search capable of selecting any artist in the string.
  4. Fix The search by Artist. It doesn’t work very well, and that’s a significant understatement, because it leaves out multiple instances of an artist. Organizing the Music/MQ database by Artist doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because so many albums have multiple artists. Maybe that’s part of the reason for inaccurate searches?
    Example: I have 27 distinct albums with Jussi Bjorling the first two words in the title and also the first entry in the Artist field. Yet the search brings up only 3 albums under Album! Three, when it should bring up 27! The search brings up another three albums under Artists. These three entries are for complete operas where his name doesn’t appear in the title. But I have 12 other albums just like those three where his name is not in the title but is the first entry in the string of Artists. The search should return 15 entries, not three! These search errors can be repeated over and over using different names for the search.
1 Like

Hi Echolane, All you list is not app related, the app has very little processing power & can only show what the server shows it. All your wish list needs to be included in the Naim Core server software programming.

1 Like

Mike that is completely right, but nevertheless from Janet’s point of view it’s the functionality she wants and the customer shouldn’t need to know where the functionality resides.

Naim did once say that composer and conductor field editing was “on the roadmap”, but I suspect it’s a distant journey that is not in the developers’ present priority list, especially as there are apparently so many problems with the firmware for the new platform Unitis.
Best
David

1 Like

I fully understand Davis & apologies to Echolane if my post was a bit brusque.
I don’t use a Core myself but I do read the Core threads with interest as I have a friend who has one & I need to help him with various aspects.
I have to add that the excellent Asset UPnP software I do use on my NAS whilst it does have good composer related options & editing facilities, it is the one area that it doesn’t do all things for all - or not that I can find.

Indeed, Naim said that this was on their roadmap way back before they had ever released the Unitiserve. Now the Core seems to have even less capability in this area!

Thanks @Bjm…I am not surprised it was always there, but I must say it’s well hidden :sweat_smile:

HH

For me, a major let down is that Tidal is available via the Naim App however, as far as I am aware, Qobuz is not available. Tidal is of no interest to me whilst the opposite is true of Qobuz. Logic suggested (perhaps wrongly) that Qobuz being French may lead to an agreement being reached with Naim (now at least part French owned via Focal). It would be great to be able to use Qobuz direct with my NDS without having to contemplate the faff of integrating Roon or the like.

Peter

PS I did hear a rumour that Naim are trying to reach agreement on this point but I’m not sure if this is definitely in the pipeline.

I believe the issue is that the Qobuz api is not properly defined and stable and so it could be a lot of design effort by Naim for nothing, rather than a lack of willingness to engage with Qobuz.

On the new streamers and Unitis, the presence of Chromecast is supposed to obviate the need for building firmware for every new streaming service.

Best

David

If you have a Qnap nas, you can load Bubble upnp and run Qobuz using Linn Kazoo to control it. The sound is just the same as local streaming and a lot better than native Tidal. Bubble may be loadable on other nas setups as well.

As David said above, the idea of the Googlecast is to obviate the need to design software for other streaming services. Tidal was such a lot of work, as I know from being part of the beta programme. Even now you will read posts where Tidal make a change and it all goes wrong, which is hugely time consuming for Naim and a right pain because people blame Naim when it’s out of their hands.

I am currently evaluating Minimserver plus SongKong for Melco (with a few exceptions you dont need a Melco, I’m running on macOS).

Minimserver already offers for example the group field (group tracks to a movement etc.), Multidisc-set etc.

SongKong looks up metadata and even identifies music from the audiofiles. And SongKong supports all the features of Minimserver.

These products are not Roon. More software for a serious collector.

My idea: Let me stop a radio station, just like a playlist or an album.

Or am I missing something?

You need to explain a little more what you mean & what player do you have.
You can stop an iRadio (vTuner) station with the ‘Stop Stream’ touch command on the now playing screen. But it does not (it cannot) stop/pause the transmission to allow you to start where you left off.

Ah, you’re right, Mike – that might have helped! I’m talking about using the Naim app with the ND5XS2. When playing a radio station, I see no way to stop it other than switching to Albums or Playlist. Where is the Stop Stream option?

This is where Stop Stream is on my screen, iPad, iOS app, NDX; on the banner line in the lower section of screen
I guess on a ND5xs2 its different

I just noticed my buffer is 70%, most unusual, it OK now tho’.

The Stop Stream button had been missed off the new streamers, but will be reinstated in a firmware update, hopefully fairly soon, as a few of us mentioned this to Naim, and they agreed to sort it.