Naim App / Tidal problems

• hello Richard, of course I thought of that too and checked it out. 1. Signed out of Tidal Account on all devices. 2. unitiqute with 4.7 turned off 3. ndx, router turned off 4. Rebooted tablet. 5. Router, ndx on, 6. Logged back into Tidal using the naim app. The problems remained, however, as they are also described by the other people here in the forum. I also called the streaming expert at naim Germany to ask if devices with different firmware (4.7, 4.8) on the same network could have an impact on the streaming issue on Tidal. the answer was a definitive NO. and today again only problems although only the ndx is in operation and a tidal log off log on occurred. Example: Beth Hart, Tribute to led Zeppelin. Select album, play, it does not start playing with title 1 but with black dog title 8, if you try to select title 1 directly, the ndx hangs up with an error display. although the ndx is still visible in the room, the information in the app settings info for the ndx has been lost. To get the ndx working again, you can either activate internet radio or reinitialize the tidal input directly on the ndx. my dealer in Vienna was able to reproduce longtone hifi on his ndx2 and Units Atom devices last week with the new Esels album as well as the album big al and the heavy weights at home, just as it was presented with the album mentioned. Since, as you say, the update to 4.8 was necessary because of the Tidal changes, you can surely explain to me why the unitqute with 4.7 still works without any problems when I have it connected to the network. for my better understanding: what is your function here in the forum? Are you a naim employee or hired by naim to keep those looking for help away from naim support with questions like “is the latest sw installed” because that’s the impression you get by browsing the forums like this. not the same as it goes on there now with a solution to the problem. are the people here in the forum taken seriously with their inquiries or is it better to look around for a streamind solution that really always works like BluOS. …… by the way, the Ndx is telling me it’s already connected to another app …… now I’ve had enough …. pinch your asses together and solve the problem and do not play to gain time with the question of whether the latest sw versions are installed … damn it all. Yes*

Sorry Fritz, I can’t explain why your Unitiqute still works just fine with 4.7 and your NDX with 4.8 does not. It seems really odd, but I’m not a technician or support person. My role here is to administer the forum, keep it running smoothly and to ensure members stick to posting within the forum rules. Of course, I’m a Naim fan, used to work for the company, first as Customer Service Manager, then as Export Sales Manager, and these days I remain an ambassador for the company. I like to try to help out here where I can if someone has a problem, but the proper Naim support chain is dealer, distributor and ultimately Naim’s own technical support.

Most appear to have had no issues with the update - I think the forum and the support would have melted down by now with the complaints of tens of thousands of Naim Tidal users if that wasn’t the case. However, as we know, streaming can throw up all sorts of little issues - sometimes it can just be one particular setting somewhere in a router or elsewhere in an network. It’s finding the magic bullet that can sometimes be tricky and I understand how frustrating it can be too. Do you have a support ticket - perhaps I can ask someone from Naim to look into it further and see if you can get some kind of solution.

Just one question, and sorry if you have already mentioned it before. Do you have a wired connection, your streamers connected by an Ethernet cable ?
Do you use Mesh wifi?
Is it possible to you to bring your Ndx to a dealer and see if the problem occurs in another network environment ?

Hi Richard,
Would it be possible for you to ‘encourage’ Naim to publish a really detailed set-up document for network, Naim devices, IOS device and Naim app. As you say, streaming can through up lots of minor issues, so having something that we can check every setting against would be really helpful to iron out these niggles.
I share the same issues as outlined in this thread, even though I have implemented the initial advice from Naim (as shown in the thread)
Thanks
Danny

hello Richard, thanks for your kind words although I was a bit rough before. All of us here in the forum who report this problem are desperate and are looking for help because the dealers don’t take us seriously with our problem and may be mistaken for annoying idiots. I am sure that everyone here first tried to rule out all possible sources of error and then contacted their dealers. but because no help can be expected from there (“you are the only one who has the problem otherwise no one has contacted us”) we ended up here. this line of reasoning “more would have reported it…”) can also be found in your lines. As a moderator, you’ve also come to the conclusion that some have contacted support but haven’t heard anything from there. that’s why I don’t have a ticket there. but it is the case that all the problems and errors that occur to me have already been described by the people here. I’m actually assuming that support has already collected all these “error messages” in this context, analyzed them and initiated troubleshooting. But since the problems have been going on for 6 months, I have my doubts. the 2 subsequent app updates since 4.8 were obviously not the yellow of the egg. But since my dealer was able to reproduce the problem himself on his new devices, I hope that Franz from longtone hifi might set something in motion, because naim support in Germany only shrugged his shoulders. However, I hope the best and the greatest help from you as a former manager of naim because you know the right contact. it would be really very helpful if you could stand up for us at naim…otherwise I’m afraid the problem will remain an unsolved one. going back to today’s example “Beth Hart” album then the following is also strange. the album has 12 tracks . these 12 titles are loaded into playlists on the ndx. as i reported earlier it starts playing with track 6 and if you skip to track 11 and if you select track 1 directly the ndx dies with an error. If I select the same album on the bluesound player from the Android tablet, the information 12 titles is displayed, but you can only see 2, namely 6 and 8 … these are exactly the 2 that you can play on the ndx …. However, that would mean to me that the problem lies with Tidal. so i believe that the whole thing can only be solved together with tidal support . I pray to the great Manitu that we can solve the problems together … all the best Fritz

Hi , the ndx is connected with a high quality Ethernet cable, as you can find in my posts …. I have also a unitiqute2 with Firmware 4.7 in the Same Network who is working with no Problem . If i will believe naim‘s words Then That can not be because the Upgrade to 4.8 was nessercery , to make Streaming Tidal possible, because Tidal has something changed …… but still my 4.7 streamer is working Fine

1 Like

I don’t know about the Tidal version, but on Qobuz all of the tracks are marked as “sample” and if I try to play them in the Qobuz app it says “not available”, so something is odd about it:

And greetings to Vienna :slight_smile:

Hallo südkiez …. Born in Austria and living in Neal Wiener Neustadt :grinning: the thing with Tidal is annoying as you could see in my post, I also have a unitiqute 2 on a nap100 naca5 and avenue to wake up under 4.7 without any problems. Lg. Naim shouldn’t really work anymore in combination with Tidal because 4.8 would be necessary. That’s why I didn’t fire up the uniti at the same time as the ndx with 4.8, because problems arose immediately after the update where naim immediately shot an app update the next day, I thought to myself at the time, oh god, not that shit again. The troubles that my ndx has with 4.8 are all exactly the same as those described here in the forum. Somehow the whole thing doesn’t seem to bother naim. I was almost ready to send the ndx to naim Germany via Longtone, but they would have only taken 350 bucks from me for nothing. I don’t understand why they don’t run a track to isolate the problems. I also called an Audivo engineer to see if this might be related to their streaming board. But he’s 100% sure that it’s a SW problem… LG and enjoy the currywurst

It sure is annoying, no doubt, and I also get the impression that support at Naim could be better/quicker.

The thing with the Tidal switchover is that they were expected to turn off the old (insecure) log-on method by December, hence this was the expected cut-off date for firmware 4.7. I suppose that they may not have done it, yet, and that’s why 4.7 is still working.

Probably Tidal must wait until all their customers have switched over. This does not just affect Naim, but all streamer manufacturers. Maybe one of them does not have their update ready, forcing Tidal to wait. Once they turn the old log-on off, 4.7 will definitely not be able to log on anymore.

As for the currywurst, nothing beats good old Austria for food :slight_smile:

I have the exact same issues. I troubleshooted with TIDAL for a week and they concluded the issue is on Naim’ s end, I would conclude firmware as many others have this issue and everything else is working wonderfully on my unit. As for the app, I had that exact issue as well, but on Android. Turning off battery optimization and setting the screen lock while the app is running resolved those issues.

I tried to re-assigned 272 to the router by my internet services app. (Selecting « home ») and work stable from last Friday. Crossed fingers.

I thought I’d provide an update.
Not heard anything from Naim for a while, but I have just dropped them an update of the issue.
I still have NDS/Apple iOS/ Tidal issues.

When playing from UPnP the NDS has no issues.
When it does freeze, switching to radio via the remote, waiting for it to connect (usually about 20-30 seconds ) and then back to Tidal, seems to resolve it,

I have asked Naim for a full iOS / NDS configuration guide,

Out of interest, does anyone have the same issue when using the Android version of the Naim ?

I have a different issue involving Naim App / Tidal. I have just reconfigured my entire sound system, moved it to a “better” room (yay! WAY better sound!), which necessitated a change in network connection/location. IP stayed the same (it’s static), but instead of being connected directly to my main switch it now traverses two others. Network-wise it’s fine: I can ping it, the Superuniti plays flawlessly from my NAS via UPnP and from Tidal directly from the Naim App, as well as from (say) Radio Paradise.

Sounds good eh? Well, yesterday after making the changes, the Naim App on both iPhones could regularly NOT “find the room”…and in one phone I needed to set the static IP again. This NEVER occurred previously. Force-killed the app, restarted phone…no dice. (And yes, I have > 500Mbps streaming wirelessly to both phones inside the network.) That was an annoyance. All else on the network continues to work at a high level.

Now, TIDAL: Every time I now choose TIDAL icon (top right) and “open TIDAL app”…all I get is the music playing locally (ie on the phone). That never used to happen.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Naim app: 5.23.2 build 7375
Tidal app: 2.40.0 build 4369

(And, FWIW: there should NEVER be a reason for an app to require rebooting of a router!)

Thank you so much for posting this.

This seems to have resolved my ND5XS issue :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!

OK, another update from me.
I spoke with Duncan at Naim as week about the ongoing problem I have had that I have described above. When I hold Duncan about an interim fix was to select radio on the remote, which ‘unlocked’ the NDS, he immediately said that it was a switch or router problem and suggested a factory reset on both as it sounded like something in buried deep in the configuration of the router or switch (I have a network switch in my network) was causing the problem.
So last week, I went into the route dashboard (usually accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser for my Linksys router) and doing a factory reset.

So far, this seems to have solved the problem and I have played the NDS for about two hours everyday for a week, and it seems to be stable.

As Duncan pointed out, if it was a problem with the app or NDS, many others would have the problem.

For those who are having problems, it is worth a try,

1 Like

A further and hopefully final update from me.
My router reboot didn’t fix all of the problems, so I contacted my broadband provider technical support (Gigaclear) who told me that some customers had experience difficultly connecting to Netflix as it was due to Gigaclear moving internal Ip addresses that had then caused some customers to have difficulty accessing services from non-UK service providers such as Netflix.

The suggested turning off my router and fibre termination box, eating 30 mins and restarting as this would cause the network to allocate a new IP address to my broadband, which it did. I’m now three days in and all seems ok

This also explains why when switching to Radio it cleared the problem as internet radio is delivered from a UK IP address

So, for others who have had Tidal reliability issues, give this a try,

Yes,I do.
Out of nowhere sometimes Tidal just stops working when I select a new album. Can get it working again by repeatidly logging off/on from Tidal en rebooting the NDS.I am fed up with it. No matter what Naim says,this started after upgrading to 4.8. I am cancelling my Tidal subscription for now and just play from my NAS. That works flawless. Maybe I will try BubbleUPnP sometime.
Naim hardware is excellent but their software sucks.

Update:
Couldn’t get it to work this time. NDS rebooted several times,logged off/on Tidal several times.
Finally gave up,installed BubbleUPnP on my PC,Bubble app on my Android tablet and hey presto everything is working flawless. And as extra bonus acess to Quobuz too.
Advice to everyone,forget the Naim Tidal option and use the legacy streamer just only as an UPnP endpoint.

1 Like

Hi
Did you try the various things I have outlined above. WiFi setting, factory reset router, reset broadband connection for new broadband IP?

Hi Danny,
no I did not.
My problem is not so much connecting to the NDS or NDS connecting to Tidal servers but rather that Tidal (and only Tidal) freezes when it has to start a track. Choosing another album on Tidal e.g. works fine, it just refuses to play that album. Nothing happens or it starts a track and freezes after it plays a few seconds. Switching to UPnP and start something from my NAS works fine when Tidal is having problems. Like I said I usually resolve this by logging off/on and rebooting the NDS several times. I reboot just to be sure,might be that logging off/on is sufficient,can try that a next time. Anyway last time I could not get it to work again, so tried BubbleUPnP and that worked flawless, Played an album and out of curiousity tried the Naim Tidal interface again and.hey presto, it works again. :grimacing:
No idea why. Thinking about it again,I am not 100% sure anymore this did not very rarely happen with 4.7 either.
So I might have to eat my words regarding 4.8. As said not 100% sure anymore but if it did happen with 4.7 too, it was less and less frequent than with 4.8.
Anyway, maybe it could also be a problem at Tidal servers that gets more often triggered with 4.8 firmware.
For now I have a bypass with BubbleUPnP when the problem resurfaces.
Cheers,
Pete

I had the same issues. I thought it was 4.8 but after talking to my broadband provider is has appear that it was a broadband network IP assures issue, so I would suggest you do a full broadband reset to your broadband terminal (in my case a fibre to the home terminal) so it gets a new IP address from your provider. this seems to have solved the tidal playback issue I had.