NAIM App

I don’t use android, but I read a lot of posts here, including between beta team members. The IOS app is usually one small step ahead of the android one in terms of development, but both release versions are pretty stable and if someone has major issues it’s usually turns out to be a network issue or that the particular android phone/tablet just doesn’t play well with the android OS and the Naim android app.

So changing to an iPad may solve the problem, but that may not be because the IOS app is better. And if it’s a network issue, again an iPhone/iPad may solve the problem, but probably not because the IOS app is better.

Having said that, if you choose an iPhone/iPad then that is one bit of the puzzle sorted for sure.

Best

David

Steve … per Xanthe, what wireless hub are you using, I recall reading of problems with a particular brand & model, if your problem is wireless discovery, which it sounds like it could be, it will be worth exploring that.
(I use a standard BT issue HH6, nothing added or played with)

I have tried three different access points.

The one built into the zyxel router. Then two different dual band business class access points; the latest one is wave 2 11ac.

I know nothing about Zyxel routers, hopefully someone can chip in.
But it leaves me wondering about the ISP & do you have their standard issue hub & have you tried that.

OK, I think we may be starting to get somewhere.

Have you tried…
Connecting the WAP, the NAS, and the NDX, to a switch and then connecting that switch to your broadband router?

This will reduce the chance of the router’s configuration interfering with the network traffic flowing between the app (via WiFi), the NAS and the NDX.

I stopped warring verification because they make me crane my neck to see thru parts of the lens which screws up my back.

For daily use Varifocals are brilliant. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to see both the instrument cluster and the road ahead :grin:

1 Like

I suspect you guessed that ‘warring verification’ was meant to say ‘wearing varifocals’!
Anyway, great to know that one can get a 99 squid Lenovo tablet, so I no longer need to fear the moment when my kids break my work iPad.
So you also run bubble upnp on that.
Is that just to connect your NAS?
And how do you connect to Streaming services?

As I am on a legacy Naim streamer (ND5XS) I cannot use Qobuz natively so I run Bubble UPnP on a Raspberry Pi and the the Client on my Lenovo.I
Local streaming is done from my Naim App as that sounds better than Bubble.

Already done that way…

Router to switch.
AP to switch
NDX to switch

This is local streaming. Nothing to do with the router or the ISP.

The issue seems to be a delay with coming out of screen saver. Not sure what’s the cause… wifi slow coming back up, NDX connection slow… I don’t know. So I have two choices… keep the connection up (no screen saver). Then it works well enough (there are still a couple of bugs though) BUT even on charge (2.1Amp charger) the tablet goes flat after 24 hours. Or use the screen saver and have to press the power button to get everything working again.

Either solution is not good.

What I’d like to know is the exact setup people use that doesn’t have issues.

Do you use a screen saver?
Do you have the tablet on 100% of the time with the app up?
Does it stay powered up?

I notice you can get a USB lan port for the tablet. That might be my next test… doing away with the wifi link to the tablet. BTW the tablet is 12ft across the room with clear los of the AP… 100% signal.

Just so long as you know that the Naim app won’t run on a PC or Mac. You need an Android or IOS device for that.

Best

David

Thats not what I’m asking, I’m not that interested in the ISP as such, I was asking if you have tried the ISP’s standard issue router - if they do issue one & if you still have it.
I had a case where someone could not get his Asus to work, while I was playing with it at my house he used the Virgin issue hub.

272 > Cisco 2960
Synology NAS [DS112j]* > Cisco 2960

Cisco 2960 > Netgear GS105
PC > Netgear GS105
TP-Link Archer C1 (WAP) > Netgear GS105
Router [Hauwei HG503] (N.B. WiFi disabled) > Netgear GS105

All connected with Cat6 UTP patch leads.

Phone (Lenovo P2] (Android 6) > WiFi (5GHz)
Tablet (Lenovo 8") (Android 7) > WiFi (5GHz)
Tablet (Tesco / Pegatron Huddle 2] (android 5) > WiFi (2.4GHz)

I use the screen saver with all the Android devices with no real problems, they are all allowed to sleep. After powering down and restarting there is a bit of a delay as the devices take a few seconds to reconnect with the WiFi - if I restart the app before the WiFi reconnects it can take up to 20 seconds for it to discover the 272 (but usually more like 10).

.* I’ve just upgraded to a DS218play, and this is a little faster to respond - it has a processor that’s about 10 times faster than the 112j.

‘restart the app’ hmmm… I have the app up and running all the time. I think the issue is the app tries to do it’s thing before the wifi is ready. Then it gets upset.

The wifi/connection isn’t going through the router.

Tablet to AP.
AP to switch
switch to NDX and NAS.

That’s what happened before I changed the WAP, but you’ve already tried that.

(I assume you did remember to disable the WiFi on the wireless router - I can’t really think think that you forgot to do this, but I wanted to just just check. I’m clutching at straws here!)

What about the DNS?

Could you be getting a slow response from the DNS or the DHCP server?
(I assume you’re still using the ones in your router.)

Yes no wifi on the router.

Been clutching at straws re. the NAIM app now for two years! Every 6 months I have another play around and then loose my rag and put the tablet in the cupboard and forget about it :frowning:

btw I’ve now changed to 2.4GHz wifi.

This MIGHT fix the waking up issue (probably not but worth a try). What it will do though is reduce power consumption so I might get away with permanent connection and no screen saver.