Naim Atom with Dynaudio special forty are a good match? (+ speaker cables advice)

It’s all about the laws of physics that makes it that you can’t expect a similar bass output from standmount speakers compared to a fullrange floorstander, isn’t it?

Hi Igal,

I have both Atom and Nova and the special 40’s and can only give you advice based on my experience. The Atom is a beautiful sound but lack that last bit of punch for hard to drive speakers (like the 40’s), the Nova handles this with ease, both Atom and Nova really put out more than what they suggest (40W for the Atom is never believable but it’s true).

I went for Kef metas for the Atom and this works nicely. If you can’t afford the Nova (or second hand Star for that matter) then I would advise another route for the 40’s.

Hope this helps a bit, I agree with others as well that positioning speakers in to the room is always better but we all know that is not always possible.

I just demoed the atom with the special 40s and bought the atom on the spot. However, it soulded quite a bit more engaging with spendor 3/1 s, just my opinion. Ive got some revel m22s hooked up to it and they have n3ver sounded as full textured and clear as they do right now.

I started out demoing the Spendor A4s at home for a week with my existing Atom, and wasn’t impressed with the sound over my ancient Monitor Audio Reference 702 PMCs. The Dynaudio Special Forty’s were a night and day improvement in every aspect.

I’m sure the Special Forty’s have even more to give, but they’re a great pairing with the Atom.

I have some Chord Company EpicX with them, and that added some punch to the low end and added even more detail.

1 Like

What is the size of your room… I was in same boat. I have a suggestion…

Just a month ago I also purchased the black vine SP40. Using an Atom+NAP200DR with it. I think it is a decent combination for a small room like mine. But when I’m in the zone, my listening volume would be at 65-70 to appreciate my music. Hence, I strongly feel a more powerful amp is required to get an optimal listening experience.

If Atom alone, it will struggle. Just unfortunate no chance to demo SN3 from my local dealer. Using Chord Epic as speaker cables.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.