Naim Boxes from Dublin to New York

Well, the old classic units are going for 20%-25% under MSRP in the US and there don’t seem to be many takers even at those prices. Lightly used 250DRs are struggling to get $3000! You’d take as bath if you sold them on (at least in the US).
Rather than having them reconfigured for 240v (AV Options charges $300 for each unit plus about $100 shipping, each way), and then converted back when you return to Ireland, I’d try getting an electrician to run a 240 volt line to your equipment rack, just for the amp and preamp.

Airlink Transformers

1 Like

As said you don’t need to buy anything, it just a matter off 2 wires in each box need adjusting off the transformer

What ever you do, if you decide to go for a voltage change then get it done properly - it’s extremely unsafe otherwise. The input T fuse, main lead and rear panel voltage indication will also need to be changed to the correct items.

2 Likes

A step up transformer rated at the total max wattage of all units combined will be large, possibly noisy, expensive.

Bear in mind that actually the US is a 240v country that does split phase at the distribution board into two 120 circuit banks, it should be possible for a licensed electrician to provide a 240v circuit. It’ll be the same as an air conditioning or oven circuit. Depending on regulations it may or may not be possible to fit that with a UK mains socket.

At the consumer unit, it’s literally a $30 bridging breaker switch that created the 240 circuit, then whatever wiring from there to where the hifi is. If the wire to a socket in the room already meets requirements, they won’t even have to do wiring, just swap a wall plate with a US air conditioner 240v socket or (fingers crossed) a UK mains socket. Which is also easily reversable if the property is rented.

The key words here though are “licensed electrician”.

I know someone who did that with a modified extension lead plugged into a spare washing machine outlet, in order to use their U.K. 230v power tools but I’m not commenting further :wink:

It’s perfectly fine as long at the item plugged in is 50/60hz tolerant. Which means any item with a heating element should never be plugged in to a different frequency outlet even if the voltages are the same.

But as I said, a licensed electrician is the way to go and the solution is probably not even expensive. It’s not jury rigged or hacked together. It’s a commercial bridging breaker switch connected to wiring in regs for the current and a socket that is likewise within regulations. A sparky will confirm what you can and can’t do in your location.

My brother thinks I’m crazy John so no chance of him taking up my passion.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m quite competent in most things and have wired a 110V for a 220V dryer from the junction box to a new outlet. I’m sure I could covert the units to 110V but the units are new and rather not void the warranties.

Sorry I may have not mentioned but the planar 6 was American bought so issues there. Thanks

The electrician option is certainly on the table. Looking at talking to some of the audio shops here to finding one and getting a quote.

Richard thanks for weighting in. I agree with you in my 1.5 weeks of initial research on doing it myself.

If I go with the ideal fix we are talking about approximately $1,100 for 110V by Naim N. America or AV Options and potentially a similar cost back to 220V in 2 years time.

Therefore, I am heavily leaning towards using a step up transformer as a temporary fix. Naim also mentioned going this route will not void their warranties.

Although I know the basics of how transformers work I need to do some research if there is hierarchy in quality out there. Any input on manufacturers, model, power rating, fuse, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nice one Zen. You know your US electrical supply set up. Are you based in America?

By the way, what you discussed above is what I did when I set up my 220V dryer. I bridged the two 110V poles with a correctly rated circuit breaker and ran a new BX cable to handle the load through the ceiling to the new outlet. I had a “licensed electrician” check my work being that I’m an environmental consultant haha

Although I’m sure I could do similar with this I will definitely go with a “licensed electrician” to do this project from start to finish if you really think transformers are not the way to go? I will stop into a Naim audio shop in New York over the weekend for recommendation on one.

Thanks

I’m based in Japan which is only 100v. But the system here is based on the US electrical standards (NEC in this case National Electric Code of the United States not the Nippon Electric Company) and I had to go into a lot of details on this stuff when I designed a new home, including the electrics down to some level of detail that drove my electrician bonkers. So the issue with bridging circuits from split phase input came up a lot due to all the 200v circuits we have for other things (13 bridged 200v circuits in total). My Naim kit was purchased in the UK set to 100-115v from the start though.

A second plug for Airlink Transformers who make transformers to meet your requirements.

Thanks.

I just got in touch with an audio installer today to get a quote on 220V outlet to facilitate this option. Have to weight up all the options.

“Feeling Zen” :slight_smile: I picked up on your comment that you drove your electrician bonkers so to avoid that for myself how would feel about giving me a little guidance? I can’t buy you a pint but can send you lots goodwill :slight_smile:

I think it was a special case. Normally, when you ask an electrician for anything hifi related they are an an audiophile non beleiver and you are met with rolling eyes; comments like, “it makes no difference,” and, “that’s nonsense but it’s your money.” Those are the easy ones!

My builders selected an electrician who was a major audiophile. His eyes lit up when I gave him a detailed list of requirements. He then went away and took the “initiative” to overengineer another $150k into the wiring and earthing plan that I’d not asked for, think I’d be delighted. I wasn’t. He put the build back months. I had to take him down a peg and diagram out the whole house starting with the earthing rods and three phases coming in all the way to the gage of every wire to every socket, every isolated earth group, the specific part numbers of each wall socket plate, the trunking. Went over the blueprints in excruciating detail and my only instruction this time was, “you tell me when my design isn’t up to code, otherwise do exactly as I say.”

So my advice, never have for audio wiring done by an audiophile sparky. It’s easier to work with a skeptic who thinks you’re an idiot but will do what you ask anyway.

2 Likes

That sounded like a nightmare and your advice is well understood. Glad it finally it all worked out.

I’m going to go with NewNaim16’s advice and Airlink transformers. I called them today. I was very impressed with their company, how they began making balanced transformers for the audio sector for both businesses/individuals and they personally manufacture a unit based on your equipment specifications.

I’m guessing $350 for manufacturing, including shipping, won’t void Naim’s warranties and will save me a little money because a licensed electrician in New York charge silly money. This low cost will make my future move home with Naim, girlfriend and cat less mentally taxing.

I believe too I will only need 2 outlets on the transformer because XPS will power the 272?

If anyone thinks I’m being foolish with choice please say it now :wink:

Thanks for everyone’s help.

1 Like

Yes, XPS will power the 272, so just one outlet for that and a second outlet for your amplifier. And if/when you return from Dublin you still have a good transformer to sell on or keep.