Naim Chrome Bumper

Any specific improvements you can share with us?

Did you go for any of their deep cryo options?

I did not have the deep cryo done on the 140’s transformer, although I did have it done on my CB Nait 2, CB hicap and CB 250. The rebuild came with a new SNAIC and one of AVO’s proprietary power cables, both of which were deep cryoed.

The main improvements were to have the old school flat DIN sockets on the 62 and 140 replaced with locking preh DINs, and to have the BNC inputs replaced with WBT RCA jacks. The craftsmanship is first class as usual.

I can’t compare the before & after sound because I acquired the 140 from the U.K. and the voltage was not converted to U.S. until I sent the units away for the rebuild.

To my surprise, one of my first impressions is that I prefer the SL2s with the 62/140 over the 32.5/hicap/250. I think it’s simply due to the small size of the bedroom the SL2s are in. The power of the 250 is somewhat overwhelming. However, in the bigger living room with the smaller ATC HTS 7s I prefer the bigger system (although the 62/140 is not underpowered and sounds great with the ATCs).

Restored chrome bumper gear is shockingly good, especially when somebody like Chris West brings it up to a level that is arguably better than factory new. It’s also great value for money.

13 Likes

Nice! Congrats on the purchase, both units look in lovely condition. I had a 62/140 for many years and thought it a wonderful set up.

1 Like

I see you have an RP6/CB Nait 2 setup. Fabulous. You really can’t go wrong with a nice CB amp and a good source.

2 Likes

@Murmur

I forgot to mention that Chris upgraded the gain resistors to deep cryo’d Z-foil resistors

2 Likes

@daddycool my two sentence review of each combo:

CB Nait 2: Delicate magic. The essence of Naim Audio in one box.
CB 62/140: A concentrated dose of prat. A giant killer.
32.5/hicap/250: Mature controlled prat

What’s interesting about these combos is that while they occupy different rungs in the chrome bumper hierarchy I can’t point to one and say that it’s the absolute best. They’re simply different flavors. I could live with any of them forever.

13 Likes

Great write-up, thanks!

1 Like

A similar experience, and have all three systems running in my house (with a 160 rather than 140). Love them all for different reasons.

4 Likes

@Bandit

“Looks like we’re shy one Nait”

“You bought two too many”

A One and a Two off to Bandit country soon to join other Classic Naits already in his collection.

14 Likes

Wow - yeah, I will have too many. One of the Nait 1 will go to my friend, likely the green led. Many thanks @anon27418182 for your help to have them serviced. They will not be in boxes for sure, I will have some rooms for their setup. :grin:

4 Likes

NAC 32.5 prices seem to be on the up. Class A serviced one in nice condition sold for just under £600 on ebay.

Think I paid £250 for my serviced one about 3 years ago, albeit from a dealer.

Definitely a better investment than the bank :smiley:

Other than the Nait, I use all my gear but perhaps I should invest a little spare cash in some more. I have an Ekos SE that I was hanging onto but that’s not gonna go up in value like vintage Naim. Of course, if Naim were to run out of key components then that wouldn’t be so good.

1 Like

Not a problem here… Investments already made - 72, 82, HiCap (2 off), 140, 250, CDX2, XPS2… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Yeah thats crazy, i sold 3x 32.5 two years ago around 350 (each of them)€… and now the price is really high. Hopefully i still have plenty of CB boxes here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought a 32.5 last month.£300.

2 Likes

It does seem like 32.5 prices are firming.

Team CB, the time has come for us to hoover up the remaining stock before underserving punters rush in and drive prices up.

1 Like

Doing what I can, here… :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Greetings from Lockdown Sydney Richard

Did the XPS PS ever come out in the chrome bumper ?

Maybe at best 12 months or so ?

Regards

Bevo

Bevo, no the XPS arrived well into the Olive era (1998) so was never a chrome bumper item. The Olive era began in 1989.

1 Like

The little box, CB Nait 2, just arrived today. It’s very lovely and sounds good too. Thank you @anon27418182 for kindly help. Much appreciated.

26 Likes

SNAP!!

Enjoy the little music box Bandit. Glad I could help.

27 Likes