Naim Chrome Bumper

Course, not my problem anymore! :slight_smile:

No not a restoration project. I’m unlikely to find any Naim amps early enough to go with it. I’ve tidied up the mains lead a bit.

Very nice and I am now the proud owner of the NAC 42 and its box shown on the left.

Question: Am I correct in assuming that, unlike some other pre-amps, the NAC 42 will not need a link plug when used with a NAP 110?

David

Do you mean the little 5-pin DIN plug?

If so, no, I didn’t need one for the NAC 32 or 42 cos they’re both single rail and don’t have a 5-pin DIN output on the rear.

I do have to use one with my dual-rail NAC 32.5 when connecting directly to my NAP 110 or 160 though.

Yes, exactly, and thanks for the very prompt reply.

The NAC 42 certainly looks good and I look forward to testing it with a NAP 110 that is soon to arrive. This will be my back-up system while my 282/250.2 goes away for a service and DR upgrade.

I already have a spare pair of Spendor 3/5 speakers and an old Dual turntable waiting to go with them in my office/den.

What is the right-hand output on the NAC 42 actually used for? Is there a manual or connection diagram available anywhere online? I only ever seem to find manuals and diagrams for the NAP 42.5 and related models with the dual rail supply option.

David

The nac 42.5 has the 5 pin output which is to the hicap then to the power amp. For the nac 42 it is for the snaps I believe.

I found these old photographs of my NAC62 - made in 1988.

25 Likes

Just like mine, about the same vintage (mine is 1987).
However I am still using it, with NAP 140 and HICAP …

Shows the attention to the link wiring in both examples, but only two cable ties on my example. And, although not shown, on my 62 I have a separate naim audio label for the type and serial number and Southampton Road address above the output to hi-cap socket.

23 Likes

@fergch

It wasn’t until I saw the rear photograph that I thought was there ever a naim audio label on the back?
Certainly, it is very unlikely that I removed it or can ever remember doing so.

Yes, the neatness of the wiring is clearly shown - mine was clearly upgraded with another cable tie!

Nice to know you still have yours.

Thank you Geoff,

Having seen your example and the extra cable tie I did wonder if I should upgrade!!

I have been pleased with my system for the lat 30 years, and only had the boxes serviced last year. You will see elsewhere that I have a NAT 02 to complete a four box set.

I follow some of the upgrade threads and wonder if I am missing something…

Then I realise my contentment and enjoyment and decide I am in a satisfactory place on the Naim pathway.

However, this contentment will not add any sales to Naim income.

2 Likes

That means it’s an early one from the first year of production.

1 Like

I started with an all chrome 42/snaps/160, then changed to hi-cap, then came the 62, and a lot of time was spent using them!

I kept the 160 for many years as it was so good, and eventually when I had an 82 I had it rehoused into an Olive Box to match. I still love the Chrome bumper look, and if you have had yours all serviced then I expect they are sounding wonderful.

Reading your profile, I can tell you are absolutely no ‘fraud’ in the ‘dark ages’ (remember the light began with naim CB!), but a genuine naim enthusiast. If I was you, the only upgrade I would consider is either a CB160 or better still a CB250 - both should be preloved / serviced, and both would be a big improvement on the 140.

You have a classic naim system, and for you, that works. You really should rewrite your profile to fully reflect the pride in your ownership you clearly have!

3 Likes

Lovely, that was my first Naim kit , a 62/90. Read all the reviews about the Musical fidelity A1…had my heart set on it. The dealer demoed it, then brought out a Nait, then 62/90… i was hooked.

3 Likes

Thank you Richard

I had not appreciated such an early example.

No wonder it was upgraded with the extra cable clip!!!

At the time I had several other amps for audition, Quad 306 and 606, and Linn 140?? (cannot remember now) something. Ended up with the NAC62 and NAP140 and added a second-hand HICAP a year of two later. The Naim was from Jefferies HiFi…

2 Likes

My NAP250DR has started to distort on one channel and needs to go back to Naim for some TLC. The good news is that it means I can play with some of my Chrome Bumper amps in the big system. First in is the delightful little NAP110 - it’s sounding so good, it may actually stay put, but then there’s another NAP110 (with 140 upgrade), a NAP160, and a NAP250 all wanting a turn. Here’s the NAP110 looking a little bit lost in the Fraim space normally taken by the 250DR…

26 Likes

Looks fantastic

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this CB 42-5 in use with an olive HiCap and 250. The result is wonderfully engaging and dynamic sounding, even if it doesn’t have quite the finesse of the normally resident 102. I’ve tried the little preamp with its proper CB Hicap and 110 stablemates, but although very good, somewhat loses the confident swagger and clout the 250 brings along.

17 Likes

Wow, I really love the chrome bumper Naim kit and they just look better and better as the years tick by.

Richard

2 Likes

That does not look like chrome bumper but it is just chrome with a black front.
I have not seen one before where the whole body was not black with a bumper in chrome.
Ian

Sorry, could you explain?