Naim Chrome Bumper

Team CB! Love it

19 Likes

Tried my serviced CB Snaps with 32.5/160/Saras this morning. Seemed closer than before and I really liked the sonic improvements, especially the top end, perhaps cos the Saras are especially hard work for the 160. However, underneath all that, it just wasn’t quite as groovy. But unlike last time, I could happily live with it and if the sound was too ragged across a lot of material then I’d probably insert the Snaps to clean it up. I did have a CB Hicap but found the Snaps more rhythmic, albeit less impressive, so sold it.

Tried the Nait with Saras yesterday. Blimey, is there nothing this amp can’t handle!? A bit too thin sounding for me (as is common with Nait) but still amazed by what it did.

5 Likes

April Setup

11 Likes

Looks very cool. Nice mixture of different makes and styles. Neatly stacked!

perfect

17 Likes

Chrome & gold Naim 32/110 recently hauled out of retirement for TV room duties. (Bonus points for chrome bumper TV?)

The poor amps have never been serviced. I’m starting to feel guilty. Maybe I’ll treat them to one for their 40th birthday. Life begins at… etc.

That said, even with a TV and cheap DAC as source, and a fair amount of the high frequency response MIA, the sound is still unmistakably Naim – and reminds me why I bought the amps in the first place.

18 Likes

simple and nice system

4 Likes

Thread has gone quite of late so just a refresh of my system and wall of music

23 Likes

They sound different, but can’t decide which one sounds better.

Very fortunately to enjoy both.

20 Likes

Upgrade to 72

Looks good, but what’s the Atom for?

Indeed, great pic!

Team CB, I just got this 62/140 set back from a rebuild by AV Options. Simply amazing.

27 Likes

Very nice :+1:

1 Like

Of course… :smirk:

1 Like

Any specific improvements you can share with us?

Did you go for any of their deep cryo options?

I did not have the deep cryo done on the 140’s transformer, although I did have it done on my CB Nait 2, CB hicap and CB 250. The rebuild came with a new SNAIC and one of AVO’s proprietary power cables, both of which were deep cryoed.

The main improvements were to have the old school flat DIN sockets on the 62 and 140 replaced with locking preh DINs, and to have the BNC inputs replaced with WBT RCA jacks. The craftsmanship is first class as usual.

I can’t compare the before & after sound because I acquired the 140 from the U.K. and the voltage was not converted to U.S. until I sent the units away for the rebuild.

To my surprise, one of my first impressions is that I prefer the SL2s with the 62/140 over the 32.5/hicap/250. I think it’s simply due to the small size of the bedroom the SL2s are in. The power of the 250 is somewhat overwhelming. However, in the bigger living room with the smaller ATC HTS 7s I prefer the bigger system (although the 62/140 is not underpowered and sounds great with the ATCs).

Restored chrome bumper gear is shockingly good, especially when somebody like Chris West brings it up to a level that is arguably better than factory new. It’s also great value for money.

13 Likes

Nice! Congrats on the purchase, both units look in lovely condition. I had a 62/140 for many years and thought it a wonderful set up.

1 Like

I see you have an RP6/CB Nait 2 setup. Fabulous. You really can’t go wrong with a nice CB amp and a good source.

2 Likes

@Murmur

I forgot to mention that Chris upgraded the gain resistors to deep cryo’d Z-foil resistors

2 Likes