Naim Chrome Bumper

Yes no problem at all. They also did a great job of fronting my classic system before. Can’t see me ever parting with them. How do you find yours?

This is the third pair I’ve owned and the best they’ve sounded with Sn3/ hicap. Can’t say I wish for anything else in this room now…there I’ve said it!

2 Likes

Lovely stack of CB kit there Stu. Absolutely mint :sunglasses:

1 Like

n-Sats with digital really sound great here. Thanks for your assurance Richard.

22 Likes

Yes I’ve tried my nSats with both TT and digital

Digital for me also

2 Likes

I put the 62 back in, replacing the 72, for the sake of variety. It sounds awesome. The sound is so raw and pure. I feel like it doesn’t get the respect it deserves.

20 Likes

Not too shabby for a bedroom system!

The 62 offered the best clarity/neutrality out of all the CB preamps I had, by a clear margin.

2 Likes

I connected up the Nait and a pair of Tukans in the office yesterday. Just sat in front of the Isobariks. It’s annoying but I definitely feel closer to the music via the Nait and a small 2-way speaker. It’s as if that complex Isobarik 4th-order crossover and all those drive units gets in the way of the music. The Nait is so simple and direct and more fun it has to be said. And bearing in mind this is only background music so the ‘big sound’ of Briks is not really that important. Food for thought.

4 Likes

Tried to build a more powerful Nait from my gear and a NAC 12 fitted with 32.5 cards into a NAP 110 is very close. Not quite as musical but not far off. Still doesn’t drive Briks as well as I need so think I will sell them on. Just using Little Tukans and it sounds good.

2 Likes

Was the 62 the successor of the 42?

1 Like

You need a 250 or a pair of 135s for the Briks. You should try 729 cards in the 12 and use a HiCap to power it then be prepared to smile. Is your 12 dual railed??

FF

1 Like

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your suggestions.
Had a couple of 250s and you’re absoluely right they defo drive them no probs. Its just that musically I dont like separate power supplies for some reason and a 250 always needs one.

I’ve not dual railed the 12 cos i wanted to keep it original but its a good idea for performance. Always liked the .5 upgrades despite not using a snaps or hicap.

Yes, the NAC62 succeeded the NAC42.5

2 Likes

IME even as single rail, the 12 improves dramatically with a separate power supply such as HC or SNAPS. In single rail form it works even better if you use straight through boards instead of phono cards.

You can also fit 729 boards to the 12 which lifts it further. There is therefore a worthwhile route to improve the 12 which I don’t think is available for the 62.

1 Like

Thanks Frank. I’m on the lookout for 729 (or 329) boards but don’t see many around. I’m probably 1 in a 1000 but I always enjoy the music more without a separate power supply which obviously entails an unregulated NAP or integrated amp. I’ve compared dozens of times with all sorts of vintage gear and it’s always the same. Agree that a separate supply always provides greater clarity though.

You don’t need an unregulated NAP to use a HiCap or SNAPS. I use a NAP 160 in a second system with a 32 (single rail) and HiCap. No problem and it is sooo musical.

FF

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking a hi-cap can power a 42 and a NAT101 at the same time?

Also is it conventional wisdom not to service tuners unless there is a fault?

Thanks

No, a Hicap can only power one device.

2 Likes

Yes. I believe it is.

1 Like

That’s probably for the best then! Those NAT101 dials are incredibly seductive but another two boxes is possibly a bridge too far…