Naim CI Series

Yep this has sparked my interest as well. Been thinking of updating my SuperUniti for a while, to something that will allow me to use Tidal Connect. The CI Uniti 102 looks like it could be the perfect unit, if it can power my Kudos X2s. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

All you need is a car battery and some rubber bands.

Well thatā€™s exactly how I control my Atom, using only the Apple TV remote which turns on/off the Apple TV, LG TV and Atom.
The Apple remote also controls the volume of the Atom.
I rarely have need to use the TV remote and never use the Naim Atom one.

2 Likes

If you read the marketing blurb it seems itā€™s intended to be used and optimised to an extent (using speaker profiles and DSP) for Focalā€™s CI range of speakers primarily.
As itā€™s a CI product there may be installation requirements, as in fitted by a reseller as one example.
You could buy one and do what you want of course, Iā€™ve asked my dealer for one to demo and compare against the Atom on my TV.
They appear to have a new controller app for this range also. It has no display or controls (like an ND5 XS2) so relies on app control and setup.

3 Likes

Indeed. Is the 8 channel box a AV surround sound thing?

1 Like

Iā€™d interpret that more to be for bi/tri amping and for driving passive subs from
one amp. They reference their 1000 Series Utopia CI speakers to that end.

Iā€™ve never got around to having my Nova setup like that, being old school :smile:, but I guess I could try a HDMI lead and see how that works. Can you still use the volume knob with the automated volume control.

Itā€™s also not clear if the new box also does local music streaming through Ethernet?

I think Iā€™m out of my depth here. I donā€™t really know what CI is. And there are some sort of weird brackets hanging from the front of the units in some pictures.

Yep Iā€™ve already asked that question, thing is if you look at the rear of these products they donā€™t look like Naim stuff.

Itā€™ll be using the same NP800 network/streaming subsystem as in other Uniti products so should mimic the feature set.

1 Like

Criminal Investigations

1 Like

I couldnā€™t even see speaker connections?

Theyā€™re designed to be compliant to different regulatory environments, in particular retail and marine.

1 Like

Interesting that Naim are using optical SPDIF, which it has been claimed they donā€™t use, because they donā€™t think it is very good.

CI = Custom Installation

Itā€™s designed specifically for an integrated system and covers specific environments like a bespoke multiroom
solution, retail or marine (yachts etc).
Naim had a similar system in the past called NaimNET.

Part of that range from Circa. 2007, the NNP02 for reference.

2 Likes

Interesting that it also is a Dante receiver. Common in the pro world for sending audio over Ethernet, one way to get audio into Dante is a virtual sound card driver. Would be a lovely upgrade to the normal streaming products probably for a very few users.

I was wondering the same thing, Mike.

1 Like

Itā€™s mainly for shopping centres motels boats etc to pump music on a commercial level. However there has to be an opportunity for a Naim AV amp at some stage.

2 Likes

Oh :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes

The brackets (I assume an accessory in the box) are for rack-mounting in custom-install racks. Many years ago Arcam did the MZ8 and MZ12 class AB amps for the same purpose and they had the brackets as accessories for this purpose. I think the Rotel CI do as well.

Ref the CI-NAP 108, outside a custom install environment it could be used as a multichannel power amp for AV duties or as an up-to 8 channel power amplifier for passive or active speaker amplification.

Use one of these with a suitable digital crossover/dsp unit before the NAP 108 and you could build a 4-way speaker pair and adjust all crossover slopes/points/individual gain settings etc using the dsp unit and then this would provide a single box of power - quite neat really.

3 Likes