Naim Core DSD via SPDIF (coaxial output)

Hello Melomane
I am by no means an expert in this field. Regarding your comment on the coax to a Naim DAC:
My understanding from previous mail (unless I have misunderstood) - playing DSD file via coax means it will be 16 bit and xKhz depending on the DSD file. You are only going to get DoP over the ethernet connection and obtain of sorts DSD (with a streamer), although according to Neil its not a lossless process.
Regards
John

Hello John,
I attach a screen copy of an old topic on DSD playback where Richard Dane - a Naim expert - says he plays back DSD files - .dsf type - from his Core via SPDIF coax to a Naim DAC with no problems. I believe that this will only work with a Naim DAC, not any other manufacturer’s DAC. All DSD is converted to PCM when played back even in its native form. I hope this helps?

Hello Melomane
Its all a bit ambiguous as far as I can see. It might PLAY as dsf (indication on app) but what is happening at the DAC end (its indications) on this older “topic” . I might be wrong but I thought at some point last year, DSD play back indicated for instance “DSD 64” on the tablet, it now shows just 176kHz - app update?
I would bet a number of people have thought they are playing DSD format all the way through to their DAC when using the spdif/coax.
Neil was very clear regarding the coax output being 16bit. Its only the ethernet that you can output DSD using DoP.
Perhaps Neil would like to comment on this previous DSD topic entry and a Naim DAC having the ability to convert back to DSD VIA the COAX?

Not sure how to flag this up, or will Naim Staff member pick it up?
John

It would be good to get a definitive answer here. I almost bought a used Naim DAC 1 just to be able to playback my .dsf files from my Core. I think that other DACs will not be able to work properly with the Core and DSD. I think Naim are marginalised with DSD playback - either stuck at the lower res versions 64 and 128 or not able to cope with DSD at all. DSD 256, 512 and 1024 are now available but not if you are a Naim user.

Naim don’t routinely look at the forum. (Though there are a small number of staff with forum accounts, mostly in software/test dept). If you want to open a dialogue then emailing or phoning is your best bet.
Neil works in the service dept and has been there forever so has a great deal of knowledge around the products and how to fix them.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.