Naim Core

Both really, and I like separating the hifi from the computing :sunglasses:

2 Likes

First post and a few observations on my Core. I started my streaming journey with a WD NAS using Twonky. This was frustrating on a number of levels. Changed to QNAP using Minimserver. This improved things but I didn’t enjoy the clunky process of ripping with XLD and editing with Metadactics. The Core makes everything so much easier. Ripping is much quicker and editing metadata is a breeze. The added bonus is that the Core sounds superior to the NAS. It’s also built like a tank and looks good on my Isoblue rack. What’s not to like? The only plus side I can see to a NAS is that it’s cheaper and will appeal to those who like fiddling with computers.

4 Likes

Is it possible to get the files stocked on the Core integrated in Roon Library ?

Thank you :wink:

2 Likes

I love my Core. Hasn’t missed a beat in the 3 years I’ve had it. All I ask for is full metadata editing on rips and it would be perfect.

Do you use Wav or Flac ?

I originally ripped in WAV with my UnitiServe, but switched to FLAC a while ago. I was unable to tell the difference between either format (especially when I moved to the NDX 2 as a streamer), and FLAC gives better long term metadata portability if something better in the music server comes along at some point in the future.

Hi @NoNaim I used flac originally with my NAS drives but re-ripped all my music to WAV as recommended by Naim. I continue to download and rip to WAV but do have a few flac files in my collection. I also have a full flac back up just for future proofing.

1 Like

I will admit to never having owned a Core, so flag my post for deletion if you must :wink:

The Unitiserve used to come in for a similar amount of criticism for rather limited functionality compared to a regular computer ripper + NAS storage and server. That criticism was at least partly justified, but for me those limitations were acceptable and I still use it 7 years on.
Unfortunately the Core is more limited still, and for me it’s a step too far in terms of limited metadata and server options. I’ve used one on quite a few occasions at my dealers, enough to know that if my Unitiserve dies I will not be replacing it with a Core. That’s not to say that others will find these limitations unacceptable. Get a demo and decide for yourself.
One use of the Core that is a significant improvement on the Unitiserve (and that your average NAS can’t do at all) is the SPDIF out for anyone who wants to use it directly into a DAC rather that as a network server. In this mode I find it can sound really good, perhaps due to its built in linear PSU compared to the SMPS in the Unitiserve.

2 Likes

Yes, Roon will be able to find the Core drive on your network and serve files from it.

1 Like

Last question ChrisSu : is it possible to use the Core as a transport CD ? (With the Nova)

You have to rip the CD to play the music on it, the Core isn’t a CD transport but you can rip one whilst playing another.

1 Like

There is a review here :
https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/82-naim-uniti-core-cd-ripper-music-server

I have to pick a ripper for important classical CD’s rip (I do it now with my Mac) because I want to have some comfort with automation, but I don’t know if a ripper is a convenient solution to organise metadatas and if so, is the cost difference between the Core and the Vault 2i is worth it (I don’t need the streamer or the dac).

It will? Does the Core export the filesystem over smb? Because Roon cannot use UPnP

As someone who mostly stream locally, this is the very reason why the Core is a good streaming candidate. I can imagine that the core into e.g. the Naim Dac is a world class source.

Yes it does.

Interesting, thanks. I looked at the specifications on the product webpage, the quick start guide, and the support pages on the Naim website, and it does not mention this option anywhere as far as I can tell. E.g. the quick start guide on the options to play music:

It’s kind of self-evident as you can connect to the Core downloads folder using SMB from a PC or Mac in order to add or edit downloaded files there. Similarly you can browse the Music/MQ folders and copy (but not edit as they are locked) those files too. In fact the Core internal folders behave the same as any network attached hard disc.

True I guess, though an additional option in the online specs and/or quick start page would not have hurt for the removal of doubt. Or finding “smb” when you search for it in the online support

Well there you have.

Exactly the same sentiments expressed by many way back when the U-Serve first came out. Those that own a NAS say it’s much easier to use and even sounds better.

As I have always said, the ‘User’ decides if it’s best suited to their needs. Now we can move on. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: