Naim Discontinue Active Systems..?

I went active SBLs and then SL2s with 300s over a number of years and found that the speed and immediacy were superb compared to PAXOs.

BUT the complexity of cabling was the downfall and I needed to sort the cable dressing every couple of weeks as everything sagged. Using cotton thread to support and separate cables did help for a while but I got sick of having to tweak regularly and found that a single 500 was equally as good. I am now using NBLs and the extra complexity means that active is not worth it even though I have a 3 way NAXO and an additional pair of 250 that could be put into service.

I also found that SL2 crossovers work really well on SBLs.

FF

3 Likes

I have active NBLs with Nac 52 and 3 Nap 250-2s. It would be difficult changing since the speakers were designed for active use. Lucky that Naim can service most components!

2 Likes

I’m not surprised as Naim move into more lifestyle systems like Mu-So and Statement. :wink:

Glad I managed to snag one of the 242s this summer for my 606s. It was a transformational improvement. If the Naim one wasn’t available, I’d just get the Exposure unit. but I would not want to go back to a passive system.

4 Likes

Some lifestyle!

Roger

3 Likes

Lavish!

1 Like

An end of an era for Naim then.

I used to own an active system with 2x250s, 52 into SBLs but eventually migrated, step by step, to a passive 500DR with a 552DR and B&W speakers.

Richard

I had active NBLs a long time ago, powered by a six pack of 135’s. Replaced 8 boxes with a 500 running the speakers passive. I have no doubt the Statement outperforms active 500’s.

I’m surprised the Snaxo lasted as long as it did. How long has it been since the Ovator was discontinued? I suspect we’ll see more legacy products dropped. The entire product line is in transition.

3 Likes

From what I gathered, the SNAXO had been on borrowed time for a while, so, while a shame in some ways, it comes as no great surprise when demand for new SNAXOs was almost non-existent, or at least not nearly enough to justify having new batches made of certain parts where the minimum order would far exceed foreseeable needs.

6 Likes

My mistake, thanks for pointing out, and apologies to anyone reading (I am unable to edit to delete that part, or I would) I don’t know what I was recalling when I wrote that.

Sad but as Richard said, if the numbers are so low that it makes no economic sense, then it’s time to wave goodbye. I have used an active setup for many years, commencing with my SBL’s well over 20 years ago and NBL’s since 2003. (Wow, I just realised that is a really long time!)

1 Like

No problem.

I was surprised myself to discover that Acoustic Energy use class AB amps in the active version of their little AE1s, which I’m considering for a second system. Given their size, I thought they must be class D, but apparently AE preferred class AB amps on SQ grounds.

Roger

I admit that I am somewhat biasef, owning active ATC’S, but if I was in the market for an active set-up now I would be looking at a streamer dac/pre-amp with balanced outputs and 100 or 150aslts. The days of me wanting 6 power amplifiers etc are long gone…

2 Likes

Huge shame and it is in demand where demonstrated Richard. Sales have been much higher for SNAXOs here than for pretty much any Naim product save for the NDX2 and SN3 this year 2022! Sadly there is no roadmap for active and Naim anymore it seems :cry:
KR Peter.

14 Likes

I understand that it‘s frustrating for those dealers who took the extra effort it needs to present an appropriate demonstration active versus passive.
I‘m lucky that my dealer is one of them.
He is a dealer which has a Statement in his shop driving a Titan 808. But he can also present how a Titan 808 sounds when driven active with three Naim Amps. I‘m not the only one who prefers the active demonstration.
When I asked him why so many Titan 808 owners choose the NAP 500 passive instead of three NAP 300 or NAP 250 he replied that there are only a few dealers which invest the effort and time needed to give potential customers a proper home demo.
Luckily I got my Titan 808 with the SNAXO 362 two years ago :blush:

As a Naim customers for many years I hope that the future of Naim goes not in the direction how it currently looks.

9 Likes

Yep. 101 preamp in my wife’s system (with 103D pwr amp). Another 101 +M20 active spkrs in daughter 2’s system and M2 & M3 active spkrs in storage.

And at home:
Lounge: active Meridian DSP5000 series 5.1 Surround system
Conservatory: Aktiv Linn Isobariks (Aktiv Isobarik + 3 x LK280)
Office: active Olive SBLs ( SNAXO/Supercap+ 2 x NAP250)

1 Like

Yes Suzywong, I see you fully embrace active systems. As I have in years long gone, having owned active Kans, SARAs, Isobariks and Meridian M2s. But not all at once. You put me to shame. Although I did own the same pair of M2s twice.

I have recently heard some great active Linn and ATC systems, and that active magic seems to still call me. Call me sentimental.

I was gearing up for active something speakers, with NAC 252 and NAP 250s to complete my current setup. Here in Sunny Perth you just have to take a punt, demonstrations of active versus passive are impossible. But I am now thinking something other than Naim, so maybe Linn or Exposure.

The Linn active systems did sound great. But they were not the current models. Of course the local dealer doesn’t have any in stock, so again impossible to audition them…

Feeling Zen suggests Naim source/pre and then Exposure crossover to whatever power amp you want. Certainly easier on the wallet and much less restrictive.

Ah, finally in a position to scale the heights again, was so close to grabbing a 252, and now doubts…

It is great to have first world problems!

1 Like

I’m sure box count and general faffing has a lot to do with it for many. End of an era though :frowning:

Using Kudos 505/606 speakers as an example and a NDX2 as a source where possible, you could take them active with some of the combo’s below.

It’s just to illustrate box count as I’d personally go NDX2 / 555PS or indeed ND555 on the Naim system before going active (but that’s another box !)

Naim (8 boxes)

NDX2, 282, NAPSC, Hicap, Hicap, Snaxo, 250 x 2

Exposure (6 boxes)

NDX2, 3510 preamp, VXN Crossover, VXN PSU, 3510 Stereo Power amp x 2

Linn (4 boxes)

Klimax DSM System Hub, Klimax Exaktbox (Crossover), Klimax Twin (Power amp) x 2

Devialet (2 boxes)

Devialet Expert 220 Pro, Devialet Expert 220 Pro companion

2 Likes

Perhaps Naim will announce the rebirth of active systems in 2023, just with a simpler architecture featuring fewer boxes. If so, that would be great news indeed.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

So… in summary, it appears that Naim are discontinuing the SNAXO. Which means no Naim Active systems, unless either you use ANOthers Active Crossover - or Naim introduced ‘something’ which replaces the SNAXO…?

I do think its a great shame that Naim have done this (unless a replacement appears). But - its shows that the March of the Bean Counters never ends.

Naim is a different company, now. It was inevitable. Shame, but … inevitable.

6 Likes

Steve, active Kans? Never knew that was possible.

2 Likes