Naim & ecology?

My Nait 50 has a standby mode, not worried about that .

My little UnitQute is used heavily in DAC and streaming mode

My Cd player is left on all the time , I do feel this is an issue and sometimes switch it off

My main amps stay on. The ND555 and Unitiā€™s go into low power standby. All our lights are LED, saving much more than the amps use in standby. 55% of our power is from solar, with excess exported anyway. And we work from home, which singularly does way more for the environment than anything else. Oh, and design and deliver walkway/cycleways.

But I donā€™t have a coal powered EV :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My supplier claimed to be 100% renewable but when oil went up they put my price upā€¦. Surely the war in Ukraine didnā€™t reduce sunshine and windā€¦ā€¦never could figure that out

3 Likes

Itā€™s the way energy markets work, with electricity being linked to, I believe, the oil price. It seems potty to me, as renewables are now cheaper than oil as a way of generating power. If we are to benefit in the future and get more people moving to green power, that link needs to be removed. Itā€™s not just about price of course, but itā€™s a big motivator of behavioural change.

2 Likes

In a thread entitled ā€˜Naim and ecologyā€™, does anyone else want to consider product life cycle analysis?

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly certain I touched on exactly that in my earlier post.

1 Like

The reality is that how each and every one of us lives our lives has an ecological effect, and every single one of us has equal responsibility, however much anyone might find arguments to justify his or her decisions. No-one can absolve themselves of responsibility. Making choices in non-hifi areas, such as using more efficient cars and non fossil-fuel cars help the environment, as can changing cars less often - but not using the car at all whenever possible would be even more so (and may have direct health benefits). However, choices with some parts of our lives does not absolve us of responsibility with each and every other part, so it is a false argument to say something along the lines of ā€œI drive less so I can leave my hifi onā€ - the hifi still has an effect. Of course, not having hifi it at all and instead playing musical instruments would have the lowest environmental benefit impact, but where the lifestyle choice is to have a music replay system, and of as high a quality as we can, turning off more equipment would reduce environmental impact by however small an amount when considered in isolation - and so would upgrading in fewer, bigger steps.we all make choices, every day. Yes, there are lifestyle choices that we in first world countries wouldnā€™t even consider as possible, but those where reducing environmental impact still lets us live modern lifestyles largely as we have come to consider to be right and that donā€™t really impact us much must surely be the easiest to make.

1 Like

Iā€™ve often wondered that. If we exclude Heat Pumps and EVā€™s (because they are new) I would hope that most peoples consumption has gone down, particularly over the past 2 years since prices sky rocketed. Here is my usage over the years

The drop in 2019 was down to Solar panels, so ignore that bit. The biggest change for me was changing to LED lights, and then more recently changing a Freezer which was using twice as much energy as needed. Would recommend one of these plug in watt meters that you put between a device and its plug socket in order to measure eits consumption, then make a list of all your devices so that at least you are aware of all your devices, and can then make more informed decisions where to go

2 Likes

You are right of course, and we are very much in the power saving group. I wasnā€™t using green energy as an excuse for inconsiderate behaviour, and was merely saying that itā€™s less bad, but still not good. One of the best things about my Nova is that I can set it to go to sleep after 10 or 20 minutes. It did seem very wrong to be having lots of boxes permanently powered up.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, I skimmed the thread and missed your post.

Oh no need to apologise. Just pointing out that the big picture complexities hadnā€™t escaped everyone. Despite which itā€™s surprising how many apparently ā€œknowā€ the answer.

3 Likes

This conjures up an image of someone throwing out their Naim system in order to stand in their living room, blowing on a tin whistle and hearing in their head a 100-piece orchestra or Rick Wakeman et al in full flow. With no lights on.

1 Like

I have had Naim kit not just on but playing music for much longer than ususal over the past few weeks to get the units run in. Based on a meter reading just now, electricity consumption in the house is about 5% up on the October average, although there is no way I can say how much of that is due to the hifi.

Whether that energy has been wasted depends on how you define ā€˜wasteā€™.

There is a strong case to say that the electricity used to drive the loudspeakers was wasted because there was nobody to hear/ consume the music.

Most of the rest of the electricity went to produce heat. Since the room has not been too hot, and temperature there is theromstatically controlled I would not say the heat was wasted. However, it is probably much less efficient to generate heat through hifi boxes than a central heating boiler so from that perspective the delta of the amount of energy used would be waste.

Once everything is run in Iā€™ll be switching the system to standby when not in use, and since my old boxes didnā€™t have standby mode I expect to see a reduction. Mind you, there are more boxes which might cancel that out.

Understanding that if I was financially squeezed my lifestyle would be different and I wouldnā€™t be in this Naim game in the first place, the sums involved for one household are marginal. However, as others have said, when all the individual small effects are multiplied up across the whole of society the effect can be substantial.

Looking at the period since 2015 total grid demand has fallen.

1 Like

This is the one thing - that niggles meā€¦that passive drip drip of energyā€¦my base load is around 600-700watts! Fridges, freezers, ethernet, security, cameras, hifi etc etc. thats around 16kw a day before doing anythingā€¦ Fortunately my solar/battery system seems to be coping with itā€¦my understanding is the average house is around 400wā€¦

Yea, thatā€™s easy when we move all industry to Asia.

Mine is around 250-300W, and I thought mine was a bit high. Iā€™m guessing you have kids around

Nopeā€¦I have things like a whole house ventilation system, security cameras, quite a big ethernet setup, fridge freezer, freezer, hifi, wall warts for water treatment plant, central heating pump - the list goes on - itā€™s surprising. I was reading an article that in the USA their base load is around 700wā€¦ even my septic tank has an air pump running 24/7ā€¦the only real luxuary is Hifi and possibly the ethernet and nasā€¦which may equate to 150w

It looks like my fully loaded cisco 3750g is chewing through around at least 100w or more! I may well look for a replacementā€¦

My 2960G uses about 15Watts, but not using many ports. What I have done is to setup a load of Smart Switches on items such as Mesh devices, to turn off at night. Remember though that these devices use around a Watt, to you need to weigh up the advantages