Naim & ecology?

Coming up with such an answer in this context is almost ridiculous IMO. But of course, if you want to drag the entire world’s energy consumption into the question, go ahead, it’s up to you…:roll_eyes: For my part, I have said what I had to say :innocent:

Interesting. Our electricity consumption over the full year Aug 22-Aug 23 gives an average of 710W - that is everything, not background. We were away 4 months, early autumn plus springtime, but 2 sons at home all year. Our electricity use over the year to first use of motorhome in May 2022 was actually slightly less, averaging 680W. That is total load, not base load.

We cook with electric, using an induction hob, plus electric ovens (and that is real cooking every day, not quick microwave meals!). There are two tall freezers, one a 20 year old industrial model, a tall larder fridge, both sons on their computers gaming for several hours every day. Sons worked from home on probably 1 day a week each on average. TV and/or hifi often on for a few hours in evening for 8 months. Washing machine and dishwasher. Whole house heat recovery ventilation system running 24 hours a day, boosting when bathrooms/kitchen/utility room need. Circulation pump on combi boiler whenever hot water used, and central heating pump when there is room heating demand. Internet access point and network routers on permanently. Phone, tablet and laptop chargers plus LED lights more or less finish it. (Electricity gobbling tumble drier only used only very rarely - the utility room hanging space with the ventilation system eliminates need normally.)

Yeh, it soon adds up. I suspect the computers are a bit hit, especially if the screen is old - then again, a computer can often be enough to heat the whole room, saving the need for central heating.

While not naim, something to compare with; 17 W on standby (main part is a running server), 40 W more when used. Over a year we average 150-160 W for a household of three. Heating is from district heating and excluded. Electricity for the car is also excluded.
Oh, and on the general ecological side; we do not eat meat, try to eat according to seasonal variations, limit our general consumption, avoid plastics when possible, repair when possible, avoid flying, etc.
A surprisingly high quality of life is possible while still trying to limit our impact.

1 Like

I hardly ever fly I have a car which whilst petrol it’s very good on emissions, my music is my obsession so my hifi stays on.

4 Likes

System is on 24/7 unless we are away for more than a few days. Given all the things Mrs. G. and I have done (or not done) all our adult lives to damage the planet as little as possible while still enjoying our lives, we have a very clear conscience about leaving it on.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Can you configure the smart switches to turn on and off at set times…timer schedules?

Absolutely, very easy. On the Tapo that I have, you can even have offsets for sunrise and sunset, which is particularly useful for me with the solar panels.

If you go for the Tapo, note that the price does vary, but does drop to around £25 for 4 every now and then

1 Like

Have just ordered 4 of the Tapo’s I am going to try powering down things at night it should help…if I can save 200w at night…this equates to around 600 kw a year!!! happy days. If these work well next month I will order another 4…I am on a crusade now!!! Doing some calcs I think I should be able to save close to 300w…but it will take about 12 Tapo’s…blimy thats nearly 1000kw…

Well done. I’m on 8 currently, but the devices they are on are fairly low wattage already. Can I ask what you were thinking of using them on (of course you may not want to divulge that)?

BTW You can also grow them together so that you click on a button when you go to bed, and the items you configured all go off. Good Luck

Using them on …

1. home vent system which is 65w…constant
  2. 1 hifi linear power supply powering my switch about 25w
  3. A second 55 inch TV with a humax and a wifi hotspot and small switch…about 20w
  4. amazon spot…which is about 12w.
    Also I have configured my nas to shut down for 8 hours a day. I am hoping to save 130 odd watts for 8 hours a day with all of the above (I may extend that if I can - I might be able to live with 12 hours off) I have loads of other bits which are slighly lower in power but add up…so I think I can get up to 200w with 8… I will report back.

From what I read…you can set them to shut down on a very basic schedule is that correct…I don’t want to switch them off manually…

I might question the Linear Supply, as you have fitted that for Quality reasons, so I might not be inclined to put a Smart Switch in between, as these things are not maid by Naim. Saying that, would be interesting to know if it does effect SQ
Everything else sounds fare game

Yes, you can do both. Quite a few options in fact. And a holiday setting that comes on and off at different times of the day. You can configure them up, then disable them for most of the year.

No this is a home made linear psu powering my switch and nuc…the switch is about 5w the nuc is about 2w…but the power supply is linear so is not that efficient…it’s slighly warm all the time… there must be at least 12w of more + there is a phone connected to the same strip - so there has to be 15w or more…I will put one on and measure the power consumption. It is surprising how things add up…however, I leave my naim gear on all the time.

Thanks for the help…much appreciated…I feel better that I am doing somthing about it rather than moaning all the time… :face_with_monocle: :wink: I use around 12,000kw a year…so if I could reach my target of 300w…that would reduce my overall energy bill by about 8%!!! Theoretically giving me around a £250 saving every year…

I’ve just checked our Octopus account rose how much power we use annually. Electricity is 3,550kWh, and gas is 10,900kWh. Do you use gas as well as all that electricity?

Impossible if you are at the Urologist :joy:

1 Like

All electric using a heatpump for house heating and dhw…I have recently gone solar/battery which has helped enormously…but my base load needs controlling…as it is easy to squander 250w needlessly.

1 Like