Naim fault

How about now?

1 Like

@Fredd Have you been able to act on NeilS’s suggestion? I’m really hoping he solved it for you.

Sorry Christopher. It turns out it was the Balance Pot. Leaving it in for repair this weekend. Hope to be back in music soon.

Thanks for coming back. I cannot bear it when threads are left unresolved. Hope the service on the balance pot does the job.

Hi there guys. Just unplugged my equipment to rearrange boxes, have set back up again. Now the XPSDR won’t power on at all. So confused. There’s nothing wrong with the powerline as have tried it on something else. I gave the burndy a destress that Richard mentions. Plugged all back in. No green light at all. Left unplugged for 30 mins then tried again. Nothing. Anyone else had a similar fault? Or know a fix? My instinct is to leave it off as long as possible but am a little concerned at present why it’s not working at all. Thanks

Check the fuse inside the IEC inlet. Hopefully there will also be a good spare in there too.

n.b. Then get on the phone to your dealer and ask them to supply you with some spares for the next time…

1 Like

This happened to me recently, it was a blown fuse in the IEC inlet as @Richard.Dane mentioned.

1 Like

Okay thank you both. At least it’s not serious. :crossed_fingers:t3:

If you start having multiple fuse failures you’ll need to figure out why.

Equipment fuses blowing in switch in from cold is a well known Naim foible. It happens because the transformer design (necessitated by the quest for best sound quality) can draw a very high current instantaneously if it is cold and you happens to turn it on when the mains voltage is at the peak of the sine wave cycle.

Some equipments have fuses that are a bit more marginal than others, but if this happens now and again, then it’s not a fault but rather a feature! If it happens every time and especially if the unit is still well warmed up then it needs further investigation.

The fuses that Naim use are chosen for sound quality and every fuse holder, which is built into the power socket on the back of the unit, has a spare fuse ready for use. As Richard said you should get replacements from your Naim dealer.

If you are in a remote place with no access to a dealer, the same size of fuses can be easily bought through eBay or similar, but you should replace with the same value as fitted by Naim and it’s important that it’s anti-surge T rating as the failed fuse too. Naim supplies fuses made by the Littell company, which can be found in the wild…

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.