Naim flatcap

I could have added that when the XP5XS was discontinued I did wonder what power supply upgrade would be usable with its successor. And, of course, the ND5XS2 doesn’t offer the possibility. Perhaps the same will be true of a Nait XS 4.

Roger

1 Like

I loved a Flatcap 2 on a CD5 or on a NAIT5. Unfortunately, less so when shared between the two.

1 Like

Fc is the best upgrade for a 90/92 and I found it makes a substantial difference. I still have the olive set. The problem is though that an olive fc at 150-200 pounds will likely need a service at another 150-200 pounds. At 400 pounds you might find a later classic fc. I haven’t tried one with the 90/92 but it may be a better buy if you can live with the different look.

1 Like

I agree totally. I had fcs on both my 90 and cd3.5 but any noticeable difference was negligible. Both I suspect needed servicing and rather than invest in the servicing, I sold the lot, and that, as they say is history. I now own something slightly better. :wink:

Another fan here, I used a Flatcap XS with my XS2 and Stageline S and preferred it to adding a Hicap DR.

With the right combination of snaics and a 4-5 interconnect you effectively end up with 4 dedicated power rails for the Stageline and the XS2’s preamp

Is there a Flatcap DR in the works?

Very unlikely, but I’m sure they would sell a lot them if they did.

Maybe - who knows ?
Guess Naim have a number of new products on the test bench - they probably always have, maybe in new cabinet design. - Those Solstice boxes for PSU and phonostage did certainly looks the business, much more than the odd TT platter.

1 Like

Maybe the xs range will morph into the half-width cases the solstice power supply came in… a return to half widths for the sub classic series would be pretty cool IMHO…

Same here, I preferred FlatCap XS to HCDR on my Nait XS1 & CD5XS. I’m just not sure it was £1k worth of SQ improvement, especially as that would almost bridge the gap to a SuperNait.

Roger

1 Like

A SN3 is in fact where I went next!

@Tosh1066 Have you found one yet?

Just thinking back to how many models were in the XS range once, integrated, pre/pwr, tuner, CD, PS then network player with it’s own PS and network pre (remember the 172). Naim certainly don’t offer much of a range to the mid market anymore, with discontinuation of NAC 272 and 202/200 and now Flatcap. With a one year old XS3 to go with my CD5XS my next step was looking like a FCXS but running out of options now

There’s a chance you will still find a new FCXS at a Naim dealer. It would make a very fine three box set.

1 Like

I once asked for a demo of a 282/250 and the dealer only had a FC, it was very good.

1 Like

A 282 is a little up tight with one compared to a hicap but not too shabby.

I’ve always preferred Flatcaps to help power CD5X/XS range.
Hicap is better on preamps.

Yup, that was exactly my experience when I had CD5XS/NaitXS. Some like the effect of a HC on XS range but I found it made the system sound unnaturally forced, at least to my ears. The FC simply enhanced the sound albeit modestly.

Roger

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.