Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Hmmm You learn something new every day it seems. And all this time, I just thought everyone passed port in the morning the same time as wind.

Shouldn’t it be the decantrix?

I re-read what I wrote in this reply and will retract as I had misunderstood some things. That piece of “plastic” was actually about high quality acrylic, which in the case of the Statement on a low wear area, is absolutely fine.

I really doubt that Naim, in the Statements amps, > 200 k electronics, would use a cheap plastic to downsize the costs.
Personally I love that « plastic « with is more a high quality acrylic.

1 Like

Apologies
 thanks Monsieur FR
 yes acrylic
 but that scratches too
 a big no no on high-wear areas
 I did however find the clear acrylic layer between the upper and lower modules of the Statement just a touch of genius and class. It’s design visualisation that only serious designers with excellent taste can conjure.

1 Like

The metal fascias get scratches too. Its easier to fix though.

Ardbeg10y, that’s blasphemy - I kept my Olives virtually like much-loved mistresses, used but never abused. OCD traits meant minimal to no scratches ever
 tsk tsk

How do we fix scratches on anodised, brushed aluminium
 with metal polish? Never tried before as I never had this issue but good to know.

1 Like

It shouldn’t wear Phil, as there are feet fitted below the acrylic base.

I meant that acrylic in general scratches, not that the layer between the Statement modules would since it’s hardly a high wear area.

Cheers

Sorry, I should have clarified - the feet are below the acrylic bases on the Unitis and Mu-Sos. That way they shouldn’t get scuffed or scratched.

1 Like

Pictures still keep cropping up on Instagram etc - still scratching my head as to who might think this was a good idea.

They’re neither pretty enough to lure in new customers, nor cheap enough - nor expensive enough to lure in the man/woman who has everything and wants a second Naim system because they are mid range components and the mix of box sizes just looks a mess. It’s a whole system commitment - otherwise, what’s the point?!

Feels like an absolute novelty.

In summary - I don’t like it :joy: (but hey
 :man_shrugging:)

As an aside - The last time I had a non-black Naim was when I first bought a 272 - it took three swaps before I got one where the anodisation didn’t go pink in the sunlight. An odd effect, that was a pretty common manufacturing problem in 2014 I think.

3 Likes

I think I’d need to see it up close to see if it looks nice. In the pictures it just looks like its plastic. It’s a head scratcher. I do quite like the speakers but I also think they’d look just fine next to a black Naim system.

2 Likes

missing the NAPCS power unit, and looks a little better in the photo on the Naim web page

Would have been nice to see it displayed on the frame instead of being stacked.

I can make a better reference to the colour with real colours in the background of the photo. I find it hard to judge with the all white background.

I reckon they should have put a Naim logo on the speakers and a green neon led underneath in the gap. Although then you’d need power. Unless it was battery operated.

1 Like

I saw this picture from the real setup of a dealer in Newcastle. They look much better than in the ad.

10 Likes

Or a Focal logo on the Naim boxes :scream:

2 Likes

I don’t forsee either happening as both brands have a good reputation that marketing will want to keep.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they were combined into a single brand though at some point in the future.
The brand becoming some combination of the two, like previously Focal-JMLab. Focal-Naim ?

I do quite like the look of the speakers, they would suit many modern homes. The boxes look much better in that photo too, still not my mug of chai though.

1 Like

Hah ! they remind me of a horror film once watched, something with robots stare at me.
To me they look weird with the upper cabinet appearance, a bit like the old Ovator range.

As others, I find this anniversary set a bit strange, nothing new under the sky apart from colour.
What if someone wants the Tin amplication without Foca speakers ?

I should correct my praise - I quite like the colour of the speakers :grinning:

1 Like