Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

Looking at the close-up of the one with Sopra No 2 heading the little text paragraph, it looks like surface issues (roughness) above the grille and to the left of the almost vertical split. And the lower two panels don’t line up along their top edge - but perhaps that is a design statement.

1 Like

Each to their own. The tin edition Focals are the only Focals I’ve every seen that I would let in the front door. I’d still cough and drop hints like looking at my watch as the evening wore on, and eventually herd them towards the door again. But that’s way more than any other Focal speaker would get.

2 Likes

I don’t know which image you are referring to, this?

A lot of inferring going on. I doubt that they are trying to sell visibly poor ones. These look fine to me:

4 Likes

Those weren’t the images - but the surface round the main drive there look quite rough.
But this is being taken too far. I’m not really seriously suggesting that is what happened - though I could imagine something like that happening. Perhaps I read too much Dilbert.

I can’t begin to fathom letting speakers like that in my living room.

3 Likes

Going in circles. Tastes differ. The end

5 Likes

It’s why people buy vinyl. It goes round and round and round ….

2 Likes

I would buy that finish on a speaker without any hesitation. Looks awesome imo. Wood finish to me is not at all appealing! I have satin white and that suits me but this finish I would pay more for.

2 Likes

It says Zebrano in your profile, are the NBLs history?

@Yeti I have 808’s now. I did like the Zebrano as it matched my floor! Dark wood floor and white walls. The speakers blended in but the 808’s in white look sooooo much better. The NBL was/is/always will be the most amazing speaker I will ever own for the money. The style was just a little dated for our taste.

1 Like

Is it because it is different that you don’t like the tin edition? Many manufacturers offer high end hif fi products in black, gold and silver. Are you threatened by the changes?

Personally, I am not sure that I would want it. With olive, CB and black boxes, won’t fit in.

But, would Naim be better if they offered different finishes? Linn offer different finishes.

Until we see what it looks like it’s difficult to decipher if it looks good or bad?

I quite like a champagne gold finish on some hifi! Is this something that Naim could do?

Just some thoughts…

I don’t see this as offering a choice of colours though. This is a pure marketing exercise to generate revenue. So Focal and Naim have been joined at the hip for 10 years. Do I care as a consumer? Personally I don’t, but I can imagine some may. Is there spare capacity to produce an anniversary edition? I’d suggest not at the moment given the delays continuously experienced and referenced on here. Will it generate additional revenue? Probably as a one off, so it meets its brief. Whether that helps me to upgrade to a streamer that provides the services I want, or provides the long awaited replacement for the 272 I doubt. I hope to be proved wrong.

So many other questions around whether this is good for Naim customers past and future can be raised, but as a short term revenue generator it will probably succeed.

I don’t see it as a big deal. A marketing strategy to pull in some more business. Will piss some owners off waiting for their new boxes though to be sure. I get that.

If I bought the grey boxes going to end up with a mismatch with a 555PS!

Not sure how this has been thought through tbh

1 Like

I have no view on whether it s a good thing or a bad thing overall, It just isn’t for me and doesn’t take Naim to where I want it to be in the short term. ie Supplying me with my wants.
If the market is crying out for Naim boxes in a shade of tin then there are 50 people out there who are having their dreams fulfilled.

1 Like

Naim have dipped their toe into alternative colours and raised a touch of media attention.

Quite suprised by some of the negativity in their own forum.

When they update their boxes it will be interesting

I had a shocking pink 282. Though admittedly due to a manufacturing fault. I still have the fascia in storage.

Your favorable opinion has been noted over and over again.

1 Like

You’d think to celebrate naims 10 year association with a speaker company they would release errrr… a speaker???

As for the speakers, I think they are among the best looking Focals I’ve seen to date. Not a fan of the Naim boxes though.

1 Like

I can imagine the speakers being better sellers than the boxes, if they are available separately.