Naim & Focal 10th Anniversary Edition

SME did the same last year or maybe 2 years ago. From black to black and chrome.

2 Likes

Personal opinion is they look awful. In a world where a lot is going wrong, Naim and Focal bring us grey. We do not live life in monochrome, we live life in colour. Maybe the design team had a faulty monitor?

Maybe grey is the new black!!

Solstice, Tin Naim, concrete Sopras. A veritable feast of awfulness. Naim will call it purposeful materiality of course.

1 Like

I think its the wrong move by Naim to bring out the “Tin” version personally I think it looks crap, has no soul or heart but its certainly creating some steam amongst the Naim faithful…

4 Likes

It’s the usual new product announcement / release thread. Same responses every time.

6 Likes

I bet it would be totally different if something people really want was released, say a new platform streaming preamp to replace the 272, or a Meganait. As it is, Naim waste their time on silly special edition fripperies when they should be focussing on genuine innovation. Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn’t say it’s a sign of a company moving forward, rather one piddling about with unnecessary distractions and very likely driven from elsewhere.

8 Likes

In all honesty how ridiculous this is…
Like i said in the other thread all that is missing are the diamond studs on the volume and balance knobs and select and power buttons

I suspect you’re right Nigel. I’m sure this is just Naim treading water before the release of a whole new line of innovative products…:crossed_fingers:

Now, let’s be positive. Focal and Naim have been in unholy wedlock for ten years. It’s brought us the wonderful mu-sos, as well other stuff that may or may not be a distraction: Naim for Bentley or Naim for Princess yachts.

They need an innovative product, not just the same old same old in a new coat. They could so easily have brought out some active Focal speakers with Naim electronics and sold it with the Atom HE, or a Nova HE. It would sell in shedloads and help to make Focal more of a go to choice for Naim owners.

We have a 60th edition of our Eriba caravan. It’s not in a diamond finish, but has a massively upgraded spec for very little more than the standard model. That’s a special edition, not something in a new coat that doesn’t even form a coherent whole. It’s marketing over common sense.

7 Likes

Proof, if it were ever needed, that marketing is a skilled discipline. Unfortunately not every organisation out there is blessed with those skills.

3 Likes

I am waiting patiently, encouraged to see there are DR units out there and sure my turn will come soon :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s hoping.
You’ve had a shocking experience. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thinking about this while dog walking, if I’ve not missed the point about the “concrete” Sopras, Focal have done a lot more work than Naim. If the concrete is just a colour choice then I’ve completely misunderstood, if they are using a different material then this is a major redesign. Where Naim have done the equivalent of heading down to dodgy motors Salisbury and muttering “‘Ere, can you give respray this hot motor?”, so presumably not a huge hit in their engineering pipeline.
Also as far as I can see this is ÂŁ29,700 of kit plus ÂŁ2,100 of Superlumina for ÂŁ28,000, so around 10% off.

I read ‘concrete finish’ rather than actual concrete. You can get concrete finish laminate flooring too, it’s just fancy plastic.

That would make sense, I’ve seen concrete speakers at shows, but a finish is more plausible than a major rebuild. Note to self, when you read something before your first coffee, re-read before commenting.

1 Like

Absolutely the worst Naim look some “designer “ could have come up with. Similar only to high fashion cr@p you see on “designer” label cat walks.

No word on numbers so I guess will end up being an extremely limited edition.

1 Like

I spoke to someone at Naim HQ around a month ago and was told the NAP 200 had been discontinued. Add to this that many dealers seem to be dumping demo units (which I took full advantage of) and I think you are right

Looks really good to me.

I don’t mind the look, I wouldn’t actually buy them though. The big problem for me is upgrading you can’t even add a PS to the NDX2 without it looking odd. However what’s most disappointing it’s the fact that the prep amp is the same amp that’s been around for years, no progress no advancements. Still no headphone input still redundant switches.

3 Likes