Naim + Focal

Hi Cosca, this observation is not aimed a you or your point, but I struggle to understand the level of near anger that sometimes finds its way on to a forum thread for no real obvious reason generated from a simple question or statement, or am I in the wrong area? Oh no it affects all threads at sometime or another!! Has any one else noticed?

2 Likes

Of course and my post was not a reaction against your post, I apologize if it looked like that.

I am also trying to google the supposed warning from AQ but I was unable to find it, perhaps it is only in a Dutch or German site. Instead I found the following in What Hi-Fi? about the Rocket 22:

Quote_____
But given a few days of use, the Rocket’s sonic presentation opens up considerably. We use it as part of our reference stereo set-up – Naim NDS/555PS streamer, Gamut D3i/D200i amplifier and ATC SCM 50 speakers – as well as with Naim’s Uniti Star and a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers with consistent and pleasing results.
Unquote_____

This seems to contradict your warning. We should be very careful with this kind of generalizations that can easily harm a reputation. Another cable I like and use is Kimber Kable, by the way.

I have noticed and it is nice to feel I am not alone. When it happens I go to my room, listen to my music and say a little pray. At the end I find it amusing.

I hope for other people is also therapeutic.

1 Like

A lovely way to deal with it my friend, just can’t understand why such anger can exist over ‘nothing’

1 Like

I didn’t generalize and explicitly wrote “some AQ are surely fine”. But I agree that we must be careful with generalizing that all cables are OK because some clearly aren’t, for Naim amps. You can search the forum for all the posts about overheating amps due to inappropriate cables.

You’d have to take it up with AQ regarding why they put the warning only on the Dutch website.

Naim publishes the recommended cable specs and I will never understand why some people insist on using the opposite. But if they do, it’s up to them, but they should be aware, so I see nothing wrong with an appropriate warning.

Hang around here a bit more @Cosca , this thread is ‘quiet’, even restrained, compared to some :grinning:

The issue at hand:

1- If you haven’t looked at this already, I’d suggest you check this link on this 'site:

Speaker Cable for Naim power amplifiers - Frequently Asked Questions - Naim Audio - Community

Be mindful of twisted cables - and it seems some manufacturers don’t state the specifications of their cables.

2- How long do your speaker cables need to be?

3- a good starting point with Naim is to use NACA5, as it’s ‘fast’ and relatively inexpensive but not greatly detailed when compared to others. With a (superb & highly revealing and ‘efficient’ in power terms) Focal Be tweeter on the end of it, it can sound bright/perhaps edgy. The Tellurium cables tend to offer greater detail to my ears and take the edge off the top-end of the sound - but some are expensive e.g. the Ultra-Black.

A regards your speakers and kit, the key question and aspect for consideration is whether your speakers fit to your listening environment very well (they obviously do per your post), with the sub-set question of do you want to improve the system further down the line? - which, given the cost of the speakers, suggests there could be more spend to come? If you haven’t already worked it out, this is a place where it’s very easy to spend another person’s money!!!

The great thing is that you have a speaker where the replay can be improved/upgraded quite significantly – and the only ears which count here are yours.

As others have said, the orthodoxy is usually to spend more on the source(s) and amplifier(s) - that is, information which isn’t originated/extracted from/by a source component cannot be recovered down the chain of replay. Better source = better replay.

This is all relative, in that what you’ve got sounds good to you, but please be assured there’s more that can be delivered from the Focals.

1 Like

It’s ugly, looks like a stormtrooper

No, my white Focal Sopra 2 look like a Stormtroopers. Love 'em :grinning:

12 Likes

More like ‘Exterminate, exterminate’ :grinning:

I like Focals BTW.

Give me a pair of SBLs any day Clare. Yuk!

5 Likes

I have Focal Cobalt 816 speakers with my 5si’s - sound very nice to me.

1 Like

Hi and welcome…

The speaker room coupling is one of the most aspects - and if the Diablo Utopia sounds good in your room with your SN2 - then great - only you can decide.

I actually think sources each have their style - and there is no right or wrong source for a given system - each has its character - and the better your system is the more you can appreciate your different sources… sure a higher end source can provide more information - and yes on some recordings that will be beneficial - but certainly not all - so if you like the sound from your CDP then great.

Speaker cable can be a funny thing - it actually is a pretty crucial component in terms of electrical characteristics. Naim amps usually require a minimum inductive reactance and a maximum capacitive reactance to operate in a stable manner - and a minimum of 3.5 metres per side of NACA5 provides this - although 5 to 6 metres might provide a slightly more relaxed sound from your amp - so that is what I would focus on. You can find NACA5 used in the usual places too - so that could be option if you don’t want to get new - whilst experimenting.

1 Like

LOL - I must admit if I brought those into my house - I think before too long I would be living in it alone :grinning:

6 Likes

So then you can do Utopias!

Why on earth would he?

Relax, just kidding

If someone bought them into my house, they would be living alone!

1 Like

As some have mentioned above, I have found that speaker cables can act as a fine tuning component in the system. In my listening room I found that NACA5 contributed to what was already a forward treble presentation and they had to go. I have experimented with a few different chord cables - the signature arguably trimmed back the presentation a bit too much and snuffled out some of the energy of the music. I currently have sarum cables which hit the sweet spot for me in my room.

Ideally if you are able to, try to borrow some cables from your local dealer over a weekend and experiment to narrow your preference. Congrats on your new speakers, enjoy the music and your journey.

Peter

I meant to add that the Cobalt speakers outpaced my previous set up - but at the time they were ex-demo and sounded great.
If I’d bought something that matched my previous setup I would have needed to buy speakers when I got the 5si’s…

I have a pair of sopra n1 and the speaker cables I use are the Audioquest Robin Hood zero, they work well with the sopra and could be a good match to the Diablo also.

But I do not have a Naim amp at the moment, I may get a supernait 3 next year if it matches with the sopra.