Naim for a friend - unitilite or uniti 1

Just saw, that the lite has Software 4.7.
Read that the software can be updated at home - is this easy to do?
Found the manual and looks fine. Have a lot of cables - also mini USB from my several 3.5 HDDs hope that these cables are fully wired and work with the update.
I have a M1 apple Macbook - hopefully not to new in hardware :slight_smile:

Naim Unitiā€™s have OLED display screen which fade by time even turned off shortest possible.
My UQ1 has a replacement done by Naim in 2015/2016, now its completely faded again.

The update can seem a bit daunting when you do it for the first time although itā€™s simple enough as long as you follow the instructions to the letter.

1 Like

Crikey, I didnā€™t realise the replacements suffered as badly. I assume yours was set to off unless interacting with it?

Just going forwardā€¦ will have a look on the lite on Saturday.
There is no serve (yet) - nor NAS (I am not sure if I can convince my friend to buy a NAS for 24// usage ā€¦:)).
I plan to bring a mini USB Stick 128GB with Music on. Tested on my Qute2 with a stick. OK - but not nice. No cover and title listing. But can be handled from IPad and FLAC files are displayed with info on the screen.
How much worse is the sound quality when fed via USB. I remember, that the n-DAC fed via USB was not so good as when connected to HDX.

I just tested with my cute.
The sound served from nas or hdx is better than the same title fed via usb.
Could be my head telling me :slight_smile: - but assume the Steamers are meant for streaming not usb.

Yes, set to go off at shortest.

Its rather an annoying issue being outside UK, Brexit cost is a no-go for me.
Iā€™ll wait untill Focal/Naim arrange some EU servicentres which offer customer support worth having.

Meanwhile I use it as receiver and hope I donā€™t need to insert new router PW as this is impossible via the app.

Strange is I have my Superuniti upstairs with no really fade of screen.
Its a bit younger but used very often, maybe they have used different display for this ?
fingers crossed it will last, a wonderfull sound.

1 Like

I had a unitilite for 5 years, the only thing that went wrong was the CD draw jammed, a known issue by Naim. Luckily mine was under warranty at the time and was repaired by Naim HQ, bit of a faff getting it back to them via dealer. The other issue they suffer from is heat, there are so many electronics packed into a slim enclosure that they tend to run hot, so make sure there is plenty of air flow. I used to have mine on the top shelf of my rack. Itā€™s a little under powered at 50w per channel so speaker matching is important. Sound quality is very nice, very polite and weā€™ll balanced but doesnā€™t hold a candle to Naim separates.
The nStream app worked like a dream on iphone and iPad and was great fun, I enjoyed my time with this unit very much. I moved on to Naim separates and realised what I had been missing out on sound quality wise.
The unitilite one box system back then was a lifestyle system not real Hifi in my opinion, things have moved on now with the newer one box systems that will easily outperform the old Uniti range in every way.
I would not recommend buying one of these older units unless you can get Naim to confirm the ongoing availability of CD mechanisms and the display screens which also tend to fail at some point. Also as most are over 10 years old now you must check itā€™s been serviced by Naim authorised service centers.

LASA in Italy. Darran Class A prices, Naim approved service.

Nothing my local distributor mentioned when speaking to them recently.?
Are they supposed to cover EU area for Naim ?

Bought a unitilite in perfect shape ā€¦ crossing fingers my friend is as happy with his new equipment as I am :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That looks spotless, nice find

1 Like

Runs perfect - I am actually testing it for him :slight_smile:
Had also bought n-Sats. It is a good fit.
Had another session - love these sessions :slight_smile: - and compared them to my current surround speakers (valeur audio micropoint 1). n-Sats do impress me - but the valeur really kicked it - rich, warm and spacious.
What a shame to use them for bird noise in surroundā€¦

1 Like

Added my spare Olive 250 to the unitilite n-Sat comboā€¦ oops

1 Like

Is it an improvement? I have thought about adding a NAP to my Uniti.

Yes it is ā€¦ More of everything !

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news. Lots of other options by using the Uniti as a line level source. Adding a NAC82 would be interesting.

Adding 82 to uniti(Lite)?
Then i would Go for 82 plus 250 instead.

If the Uniti 1 can no longer be repaired if the streaming module goes downā€¦

Also heard about it - this is bad. It refers to all gen 1 streamers I thinkā€¦