Naim for a friend - unitilite or uniti 1

That’s a pity. Mine was serviced and upgraded about three years ago. Even without the module it would still be a CD receiver and DAC though.

I think the issue is that there are no supplies available now of the board that upgrades the unit to 192/24 capability and also you can’t fit a new screen without the 192/24 board.

So that wouldn’t affect most original Uniti streamers.

Hi
today is the big day.
uniti lite will be shown to my friend :slight_smile:

I can not stop looking up other gear.
Found a unit serve for a good price.
Need to update it to 1.7c and read it to be bit tricky.
I ask myself if it might be better to look for a simple NAS for him where he can store his music. This is without the burning option, but I can burn his collection on my HDX and copy it over to NAS.

Question:
Will a CD ripped by HDX (naim file system) copied to NAS be played via naim app as it is stored on the HDX HDD?

Yes, but you will need to run UPnP server software on the NAS. Best to save the rip as FLAC on the HDX, as although a WAV will play on other equipment the metadata in WAV may not be visible.

Thanks
Had a testrun on my system.

• Copied a CD rip (WAV) from HDX (MQ-directory) to my NAS (Minim on Synology)
    → CD was not found by naim APP by Minim when doing rescan (strangely it was found by n-Serve!)
  • Copied a CD rip (WAV) from Quobuz DL to my NAS (Minim on Synology)
    → File was found!

Yes, that’s what I would expect. Convert the CD rip to FLAC on the HDX before you copy it and the metadata issue should disappear, allowing Minimserver to see it.

Yeah … I am bit careful … my HDX is all WAV and I love it. Read the thread that conversion to Flac is no difference, but still a bit careful on that. Someday I will update to NDS or so and the HDX-files might move to NAS.

Once you have copied a FLAC version to the other device you can convert back to WAV on the HDX if you prefer.

@ChrisSU
I have bought a very easy to use and effective WAV to FLAC Converter for my MacBook. Tested the result (converted FLAC via minim → coded to WAV) and played both via HDX: 1. Flac (transcoded from NAS) 2. WAV from HDX HDD.
I could not hear any difference… Very very close - when not even identical.

Very much like to keep the WAVs on the HDX.
Is there something against converting via other options than the HDX itself?

Hi
Would like thank you very much and … you are so right!
As written in the other thread (nd5xs2) and also opened with the words „I would like to stream only local“ … now…
i love streaming via quobuz…
I arrived at the next century :slight_smile:
Thanks chris !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.