Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

I waited longer than that a couple of years pre covid for a stack of 4. 3 weeks these days is not bad.
Happily supporting my gear these days. Very happy with it.

HRSā€¦ it looks so cool. Just donā€™t ask the price.

Dec.2020 I ordered two stacks (8 levels) + 2 base and received it mid-April 2021. Good things come those who wait!

1 Like

spent a very productive couple of hours yesterday on taking the whole system apart, good clean, put it back, cable dressing - thats is for another 12 months

to me not only does the FRAIM offer some of the best isolation to your system, cable dressing even with the burndies con 252/SC & 300 hand clear to me itā€™s another black box

14 Likes

It took me a while to accept the price tag for a 5 layer black/silver Fraim. But 10 years on, it still sounds and looks like new. Love it.

1 Like

Looks great Antz. Hope the 505ā€™s are continuing to delight you. I may be wrong and itā€™s a very minor point anyway, but looking at the pics, if the glass shelves are right back against the metal pins then it might be worth pulling the shelves forward a tiny fraction just so that they donā€™t touch the pins. Definitely obsessive behaviour and I donā€™t know if it will bring any obvious changes in sound quality, but takes only a few seconds to do anyway. :musical_score:

thanks @KJC will try that - needed to just rebuild Fraim clean interconnects - massage burndies etc

will try pulling out from Pins, on the T505 they are a delight, wanted them since I heard them @Cymbiosis on demo

hoping to get deck back later today with Keel fitted and then pritty much finished (Yes I know!!)

just love the music at the moment - had FRAIM for a few years now and delighted I made the Ā£Ā£Ā£

The glass shelves are best aligned with the fronts of the shelves, which I believe is how itā€™s designed to be used. They can be slid forward without removing the equipment. I always aligned the boxes with the shelves as well - it looks much nicer - though some prefer the sound with the boxes a few mm back. But in all cases the glass is aligned with the front.

Perhaps someone can correct me, but I think Fraim components are made in China. So there will be delays in that regard.

Ah thatā€™s why theyā€™re so bloody expensive then!

2 Likes

Iā€™m totally amazed people are okay with the recommendation to strip down and rebuild their Frame every year. What a chore.

Iā€™ve toyed with the idea of moving to Fraim Lite from Quadraspire (I just think the Lite looks massively nicer than Fraim) but the ā€œstripdown and rebuild to get best resultsā€ is so immensely offputting.

1 Like

Itā€™s done more for character building than for sound quality.

6 Likes

It is a chore but Iā€™ve found that dismantling the hi-fi once a year is generally beneficial regardless of rack type. The disconnection and reconnection process helps clean contacts, plus the ability to redress and cables. I did the same when I had my Quadraspire and often found that the threaded inserts/legs needed a slight tweak with the bar.

1 Like

I remember the days of old when i used to buff and polish every single part of my motorcycle, hours on end into every nook ā€˜nā€™ cranny - of course after doing so; a quick spin down the road as a reward for all my hard work, she purred like Cheshire Cat, like never before! :hugs:

4 Likes

redoing connections for natural abrasion cleaning is one thing. Stripping down a rack and your own body weight in gear is quite another.

Quadraspire is quite easy. After two tightens at 3 and 6 months, they stay tight. Of course the quadraspire recommendation is to not tighten and let them stay a bit loosey goosey.

My understanding is you should do the complete strip down and reconnections 2 or 3 times a year.

I donā€™t mind unplugging the cable connections every now and then, but rebuilding each layer of Fraim and then all that nonsense about cable dressing ( social distancing worse than Covid?) , Is deeply unappealing.

No pain no gain sure, but I am happy with my lovely looking non maintenance Isoblue. The Fraim was much better than my outgoing Hutter, so Iā€™m pretty certain it would comfortably beat my Isoblue. It is a black box upgrade but not for me.

I had the Fraim many many years ago and never adjusted it once during that period, as I didnā€™t realise you had to! . No wonder why the legs nearly fell off when I sold and dismantled it.

Youā€™ve been fraimed?

1 Like

IIRC some of the metal parts are made out East.

I remember asking my dealer about Fraim nearly a decade ago. They said, ā€œWell itā€™s good. Peerless perhaps. But it cost A LOT of money. And then it costs you A LOT of weekends until you die.ā€

I do like the look (of Lite anyway). Iā€™m sort of okay with the cost. But Iā€™m not retired and my time is valuable.

Fraim seems like it may be like buying a boat. The best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Iā€™m still undecided though.

1 Like

Despite my maintenance moan, it is a black box upgrade and therefore the cost appears more reasonable.

1 Like

Indeed! Another bit of forum nonsense about things improving sound quality. Have folk not got better things to do with their time?!

2 Likes