Naim HDX vs NS01

I use the Core with the Naim DAC, which outperforms the HDX.

I use an NS01 as a server with my ND555 and have done since I started streaming with its predecessor, the NDS. I particularly like the drawer loading and the internal back-up drive. It works just fine (so far) with n-serve as well as the DTC (desk top client).

Yes, I like the all-in-one functionality of my HDX. Only thing I don’t like about is is the HDDs - they run very hot and I’ve had to replace them both already. I didn’t want to switch to the SSD version with external NAS music storage but may have to go that route eventually. Pity NAM or its distributors can’t put the OS an a 1TB SSD for primary storage with a second 1TB SSD for backup storage in the space available.

I have an NS01 and a ND5X. I agree the NS01 is not quite up there when using the analogue outputs, which i have done at times. But fire it into DAC of choice and its a belter of a unit.
No screen to go defunct (my ND5X has already had a new one). What i will say is local networked music streamed from NS01 played on ND5 sounds better than internet streamed music. I still buy CDs but bung it in the NS01 and its all ready to play on ND5 very quickly.

1 Like

The V-DAC is a very capable little DAC. I used to run mine with its V-PSU into my 82.
BUT, The Naim DAC is just so far ahead it is astonishing….and that’s before you give it an external PSU.

Yes I agree about the V-DAC. I also have the matching headphone amp but never got the psu.

The Naim DAC and the Zen have just arrived at home, so fun times about to be had.

I like the flexibility of dBpoweramp and the associated Id Tag editor to ensure that firstly the best and correct metadata and then secondly the ability to amend it later with the editor if necessary. Close attention to metadata when ripping saves much heartache later. I find it easy to rip and then copy the folder across to my server. I am always tuning my metadata even after six years. Any system that prevents this or is difficult would be a No No for me.

I agree. I have a router as a sub-net creating a local intranet with the ISP connection basically functioning as a modem. If the ISP box goes down or plays up (which it rarely does) my intranet and music will keep going.

NDAC installed:

So far, Oppo connected via RCA co-ax (does the BNC give you improved sound quality?), Pioneer Laserdisc and TV via optical.

Yes, all else being equal, a 75ohm BNC connection should be better than one using RCA Phono plug and socket.

Thanks Richard, that’s what I thought. All things being equal will, in this case, include my lugholes!

I intend to connect the Oppo to one of the BNC inputs and the Zen to the other.
The two Tascams, the SS-R200 solid state recorder and the DA30 MkII DAT will use the two RCAs, and my Panasonic Plasma TV, Pioneer CLD-925 Laserdisc and Sony MDS-JB930 Minidisc will use the opticals.

When I get the Supernait 3, the DAC will use the Aux & power in DIN socket. I believe that this is the one that Naim recommend for hooking up the DAC.

If/when I get the ND5 XS2, I will use the DIN out on that to connect to the amp, as the digital out will be used for recording purposes onto the Tascam SS-R200.

The Hiface arrived today so the Zen and the NDAC are now talking to each other. Sounds pretty good.

Picking up the Supernait 3 on Monday or Tuesday, so had to get the Zen up and running so I could access radio etc as the SU is going in as a part exchange.

Not now going for the ND5 XS2. My dealer has a second-hand NDX 2 on the way in at a sensible price…

I just like the idea of a screen!

Update: SN3 being delivered tomorrow lunchtime :grinning:

It’s here :grinning:

Very low mileage, so will need proper running in.

Very Happy Chappy :grinning:

4 Likes

The NDX 2 should be here imminently :slight_smile:

It’s here! Picked up the NDX 2 today :grinning:

I know you shouldn’t stack one component directly on top of another, but at the moment needs must. And I reckon that the Tascam solid state recorder on top of the DAC shouldn’t interfere with each other too much… I also added some sorbothane/aluminium feet to the Tascam to raise it higher above the DAC and allow more air to flow between the two (the Tascam only had four poxy studs otherwise, it being designed to be rack mounted).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.