Naim kit - on or off?

I personally think that if your buy into naim, you are striving for the best reproduction of sound.
We all have to compromise in life , but to get a great sound from electronics, that are sensitive to change, to get the best ,in my opinion is worth paying for.

Yes it is worth paying for in normal aritnmetic - unfortunately not over the forthcoming gas and Electricity hikes . every saving I can make
in the words of Tesco ā€œevery little helpsā€ is going to be my priority in order NOT to sell any of my Naim system.

1 Like

I remember reading that you could turn a power amp off with minimal effect since these warm up relatively quickly. Someone mentioned 20 minutes above, which is equivalent to one side of an LP and it always seems to take one side of an LP for the cartridge to warm up and come on song, so thereā€™s no loss if the amplifier takes the same time.

I have been confused by the logic of switching the ND555 to standby when there are two CD555PS units which remain powered on.

Iā€™ve turned off two of my four systems, and my Qb, since early this year, partly because itā€™s just money that is wasted if they are left on and partly because they were getting hotter than I liked. Also I put my Nova into Network Sleep every night now because it gets hotter than I like if left on, especially during a heat wave.

I will have another think when the new energy tariffs come in, but itā€™s probably all about where Iā€™m happy to be.

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but naim audio products have always recommended being left on , for the best performance. I too personally feel ripped off by the current energy
prices, but feel that if I enjoy the music, to the best I can get from the
system , that helps with the screwed up world we live in . A price opinion well worth paying in my opinion

1 Like

I think part of the answer lies in what your electricity usage/bills are now. If they are high because you have inefficient fridges/fridges, or people always leave things on in your house, or you heat using electric fires, or you run an electric vehicle, then you are unlikely to notice a big change.

At the current capped rates, my system costs Ā£146 a year, however I saved Ā£90 a year by replacing my old freezer. So it depends if you happy going into the real detail, and understand the costs of all your electrical appliances. Buying a plug in watt meter will help with this, so that you can fully understand where your energy is going, then make informed decisions on how to move forward.

2 Likes

This sounds to be a good compromise as especially as IME a pick up cartridge also takes one side of an LP to warm up. I keep the preamp on and the rest off when not in use even when we have an extra low tariff at weekends and holidays. One advantage of Spain is a time based tariff and 2 hours per day with free electricity when A/C and heating can be used without any worries.

FF

:joy::+1:

1 Like

Can I come and live in Spain?!

1 Like

Im so happy that I donā€™t bother myself with
those kind of questions :sweat_smile:

1 Like

you obviosly dont live in the third world country called the uk!

3 Likes

No, but probably if I would say to my wife that audio is consuming the energy - even when we are not listening, she would say something about it. In another hand, most of the time when we are at home music is there too and Itā€™s so nice when all those logos are constantly glowing greenā€” they leed me to bed at night :joy:

2 Likes

I previously left three source components powered up in addition to the pre, crossover and power amps.

I have now taken to leaving just one source powered up at a time and rotate 1 week on CDs, 2 weeks on Streamer then 1 week on vinyl.

I think I will start turning off the two NAP300DR power amps on a daily basis and see how that goes from a SQ point of view.

UK energy costs:
2022 - Your life savings
2023 - Equity on your house
2024 - One of your kidneys
2025 - Your naim audio system
2026 - Nothing really matters. Anyone can seeā€¦

4 Likes

On a more serious note, I like the deep sleep :zzz: mode of my Nova . Reading this article I will switch off my Nat 03, which is there as a reserve against repeated system drop outs .

Good one, FR. I do enjoy your unique sense of humour.
Must be my ā€˜Couillardā€™ side ā€¦

2 Likes

I suggest you go and visit a third world country. Then, perhaps, youā€™ll realise how lucky you are to live in the U.K.

Itā€™s not a joke this time. I have read that Naim power buttons can be fragile with time. So powering on then off every day is not the best , in my view, or more precisely in my fear.

1 Like

Not being a Naim engineer, Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t really say one way or another here.

Personally, like many others, Iā€™m currently trying to minimise energy consumption and have been turning off the power amp at the end of a listening session, and if I know Iā€™ll be busy for a day or two and unable to listen, or thereā€™s a possibility of thunder, I switch everything off. I then power the pre-amp and phono stage back up a few hours before a listening session and the power amp at least half an hour beforehand.

4 Likes

Freddie was amazing ā€¦

1 Like