Naim (n)DAC vs DAC-V1

The nDAC will not accept a USB stream, so going the Allo route will require the acquisition of USBridgeSig (incl. case) + DigiOneSig + Shanti PSU, a total of around £800 (incl. postage and preinstalled software).

Connect to the nDAC using 75 ohm BNC-BNC (Amazon “Basics” for a tenner).

Then put an XPS on the nDAC, sit back and enjoy.

2 Likes

this is very useful info. that’s plan. i want to enjoy Naim sound. I don’t know how Chord products fit in for that purpose.

1 Like

So dac V1 or qutest is only in the game for me now.

Makes sense. The lack of USB data stream input is the nDAC’s weak spot in these modern “connected” days. OTOH I can plug my iPod straight in :crazy_face:

Dependent on the actual model of your iMac the Uptone Mac Mini DC-Conversion Linear Fan Controller, available for the Audiostore (vortexbox.co.uk), may be of interest.

I use a macmini via Allo DigiOne Signature with linear USB power supply into an nDAC.

I had previously connected the nDAC to the macmini via TosLink using the MacMini’s headphone socket and a suitable adapter (which cost very little and I am sure works with an iMac- easy to find out).

The path I followed was:

• bare nDAC fed via TosLink.
  • nDAC fed via Allo DigiOne Sig. with cheap switching PSUs.
  • nDAC fed via Allo… With linear PSU.
  • XPS2 on nDAC.

I think the biggest improvement was adding the Allo DigiOne transport.

Well, apart from replacing a cheap DAC with the nDAC.

How does the Mac connect to Allo out of interest?

Both connected to my network (by cables) but I think WiFi also works.

1 Like

Thanks, I toyed with doing similar, may still pick up a used nDAC to experiment!

We absolutely love our DAC-V1 into a NAP140, fed directly from a Mac mini via a cheapo USB cable. It’s just fabulous.

Sure, we have a Chord DAVE & M Scaler in the back-up system but we prefer the sheer musicality of the DAC-V1 over a Qutest every day of the week.

Best regards, BF

10 Likes

Is yours an iMac with Toslink output? I use the optical output from my MacBook into the nDAC to good effect. Otherwise the V1 gives you a more straightforward path.

Had a Dac v1 yes it’s musical but no regrets selling it for a chord Hugo 1

The Hugo is musical too with a good transport but with a much bigger soundstage …

In fact I remember my first day with Hugo couldn’t get much sleep as I stayed up till 3 am listening to music and enjoying it !

To be fair the Dac v1 is a very musical and enjoyable Dac too

Knowing what I know now … a great Dac needs a good transport so buying new and for the naim sound I’d look into the new naim streamers and then later a chord Dac

Or a streamer like allo or google chrome cast audio which sound great with a chord Dac

1 Like

The DigiOneSig board (actually two boards) is a “Hardware Attached on Top” (HAT) and needs to be mounted on a Raspberry Pi, or similar SBC. You can then connect RPi to your network by Ethernet or wireless.

For me (apart from the nDAC) the biggest improvement was the “supercapacitor” PSU to the Allo.

It’s 2017 imac 5k. It has only usb .

A DAC-V1 would be simply delightful. By all means try lots of others, we have, but the DAC-V1 has this marvellous ability to sound naturally musical, a rare trick that most other dacs (including the Qutest from our experience) fail to achieve.

Which ever option you choose, do enjoy your music. If you use iTunes on your iMac, the Bitperfect app is a delightful and very inexpensive upgrade (£5 last time I looked).

Best regards, BF

8 Likes

V1 owner for like 3 years now with no intention to look elsewhere. Absolutely natural presentation, even with electronic music. Superb usb input from Audiophilleo. Dead quiet. Never tiring, big body music. Simply music.

10 Likes

V1 owner here too, connected to old 27" iMac via USB no issues at all. Now using it directly with Roon, I have previously used Audirvana and even iTunes through it.

Using it with NAP100 which makes a very nice compact computer sound system with only one wire connection.

Throughly recommended for high quality no hassle sound system.

CK

3 Likes

Until the display fails and the replacement cost of £350 occurs… Sure if bought new one can look well after the display (auto switch off) — but when buying a discontinued product second-hand one cannot be sure that the display was treated carefully…

Is that in your main system?