Naim (n)DAC vs DAC-V1

Well, that’s one perspective I suppose.

Another is that we have enjoyed more than 8 years of flawless performance from ours, with no sign of any degradation. This with the V1 switched on for almost all of that time.

2 Likes

Different sizes, interfaces (only SPDIF in the nDAC), number of inputs, DAC chip. Also, there is no headphones out in the nDAC.

It is in the Active SBLs system.

Did you try the SBLs passive first?
(sorry for thread drift)

Given your source is via USB,then trial a Qutest.I’ve got one being fed by my nd5xs2’s Bnc output. And the qutest will allow usb to usb. Naim deny me that option from the ND.
The qutest filters are at best very subtle.
Trial one.

1 Like

so you bypass the nd5xs2 dac?

Ndac now a bargain below 1k sh. Bare good. Xps2 better and 555 you can listen to hours. Drive slam and detail.
Transports important. I used a Mac with a mini optical- was ok. Different Sdif converters allowing coax out again improved more and with better USB cables for the feed from the Mac

Think the ND5x2 with the Ndac will sound great - certainly did with an NDX

1 Like

Yes. The output is changed on the app from RCA to BNC. So yes, I’m just using the digital side if the ND. As much to see if the qutest is any good. Which it is. But not a huge difference from the inbuild Naim DAC. The biggest changes are when the digital source really is hi Res. The 24 bit files and 88khz plus stuff is where you can here the differences. Regular 44/16 stuff almost no difference.

Interesting observation with the qutest is the power supply. Not it’s audible qualities, but each time I switch another device in that is connected to the extension lead, the qutest goes silent for a few seconds. Just plugging in a LPS that has a usb A outlet and testing that. So far, no drop outs when stuff is switched on/off.

FWIW, I have been very satisfied with my dedicated older Mac Mini connected to the Naim DAC/555, both via WireWorld optical mini-to-Toslink cable directly, and through an added Meridian Explorer 1 USB-to-Mini adapter. Audirvana+ also takes it up a notch. Nick

Yes. Ran them from a Meridian 103D power amp, then a 250, then NAXO/SNAXO with the 103D and the 250 then with 2 x 250s.

1 Like

I have DAC V-1 fed by MacMini (Audirvana+) as a transport going to 112x/150x/FlatCap2. Currently supports up to DSD128. I really like it and had no need to think about upgrade. But I never made comparison with Chord DAC or nDAC as well. Never had a wish to.

4 Likes

Do you need the 112x as isn’t the V1 also a pre?
I’m just considering options for my 122x/150x amp. Thanks.

DAC-V1 can be used as a pre-amp but it only has digital inputs. It was designed to work with the NAP100 but also works well with NAP200.
Whether it’s a good match for the 150x I wouldn’t know.
Dave

No, if you have only digital sources.
You need additional preamp in case you will use analog sources as well.
But if you have an UnitiQute than you have 1 analog input (StageLine and TT for example) so you could use only the UQ pre.
Otherwise NAP 150x and NAP 100 are both 50 Watts in 8 Ohms.

As J22 an ИвоБ stated, it works as a pre, and unfortunately its pre amp cannot be bypassed, it was discussed on another thread, it is a fact that I was not aware of either, you can by pass the volume control only. I have mine connected to an integrated amp, SN2, and the result is outstanding to my ears.

I have made some comparisons between both pre amps - the one in V1 when SN2 in av bypass mode working as a power amp and the one in SN2 as integrated amp and the difference is clear, the one in SN is superior, and it should not be a mystery. Now, whether the sound degrades passing through 2 pre sections, well I cannot tell for sure, probably if V1 could have been used as a DAC only, things would’ve been different, but I am completely satisfied with mine now, so, no need to upgrade it, for the moment.

If you are implying there is a difference in the DAC-V1 output sound quality between the fixed and variable output setting then I believe this is a myth. The signal path is the same in both modes of operation.

Dave

2 Likes

Nope, I was comparing the pre amps in V1 and SN2 and although signal is passing through 2 pre sections, it sounds way better to me and I prefer it that way, rather than SN2 in av bypass mode.

You are probably right about the fixed output, maybe it makes no difference, nevertheless I keep mine in fixed out put mode, I have no need to control the volume from V1, I am moslty contrloing it via my macbook.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.