Naim N-Vi HELP!

Bearing in mind how willingly, it appears, they gave a refund, suggest the vendor knew it was a bit hooky.

Ironically enough I remember the website for the n-Vi was very impressive.

nvious.com (or.co.uk) IIRC.

.sjb

I bought the AV2 and the DVD5 when they first came out. I still use the AV2 today and is still working fine (touch wood) but the DVD5 was also buggy and now it struggles to play DVD’s so i use it as a cd player on my second system. But when it worked properly it was excellent and it’s also a very good cd player on a 72 hi-cap 140… just saying.

Now that you have done a factory reset, all the video outputs should be enabled. If you connect to a TV, you can use the on-screen menus to see what’s going on. Not every front panel option is available though.
There is an eBay seller who stocks (apparently) compatible screens. Will require soldering though and would be a gamble.

Regards
Neil.

Heading for the bin !!!

1 Like

Before you dump it, note that certain parts can have a surprising value. The case sleeve is one such.

1 Like

Interesting……the sleeve is immaculate ……but finding a buyer ……and how much ?

1 Like

That’s outside of this forum’s AUP, so best of luck anyway.

2 Likes

Fair enough ……

1 Like

Try a well known auction site and sell for parts or repair.

DG…

The Naim Phoenix, sorry N-Vi is slowly rising from the dead ……and what a sound !

1 Like

And what made it rise from the ashes?

Factory reset……due to the faint display conducted in a dark room via the camera on my iPhone Pro Max, which revealed perfectly the image that was available …

And then I dismantled the entire internals physically, cleaned all the ribbon connectors and various plugs with Servisol and put it all back together again ….

Another factory reset ……still with the iPhone as the display is kaput really……but a new one from France is in process ……

And then went through the set up procedure on my TV screen….

Next was a cleaning of the optical sensors in the DVD drive with one of those kits ….

And at the end ….

All the inputs work, the DVD plays dvds and CDs and it sounds superb ….

The display is blank and I will change it BTBH using the remote it’s superfluous really ….

I decided that something that cost £3K was just too valuable to be binned without an in depth look at what was wrong ….

Job done !!!

14 Likes

Well, after a stormy baptism to the World of Naim and the Forum, I am pleased that calmer waters lie ahead …

My N-Vi, yes it’s old and not of today, has turned out to be an excellent acquisition, and is now fully installed and in use .

Fed with vinyl/internet radio/TV sound and DAB/FM it does the job superbly……

My Arcam gear always sounded pretty good to my aging ears but the Naim has taken the sound experience to a new level that is most enjoyable …

Paul

9 Likes

Bravo!

ATB, J

If you can live with how long it takes to hook onto a signal and use it purely for 5.1 with optical, it does sound marvellous. You can get break out boxes for HDMI signals to send the optical, but lots of TVs have optical out any how.

Obviously the DVD player is ancient and will look terrible on modern TVs but if you have some sort of smart TV it should sound very good.

@6V6 gksf you are enjoying!! Cheers !

Just finished integrating my N-Vi into my modest system ……and it’s sounding pretty good ….

Naim N-Vi
Bose Acoustimass System with additional cubes on each side.
Arcam Powered Sub……fabulous clout !!!
Bose Sub deactivated bass wise with passive resistors internally.
Technics SL1210 MK2…better than the LP12 I had once upon a time……S/N -78db
Denon 103R….time proven class.
Rega MC preamp
Cambridge Audio Internet Streamer MXN10
LG CD/DVD just in case the N-Vi has a wobbler!

Mixed bag agreed but it is good……and the Naim has contributed well.

Just running it as a 2 channel stereo set up ……

Panasonic TV inputting sound via optical
Same for BT TV box of tricks….

Quality on a budget …

7 Likes