Naim nac 250 DR capabilities

Hello
Was wondering if anyone has paired their 250DR amplifier with a pair of Dynaudio Contour 60’s?
I own a NAC N272 preamplifier and 250DR amp.
I am planning on ordering the 60’s this week to suit my listening room space of 16’W x 22’D x 8’H.
I’m a little concerned the amp may not be able to drive them to periodically higher levels I enjoy listening to my music at.
Thanks

1 Like

Haven’t herd or tried but looking at the spec of those babies I would think yes to a point, . 4omhs would give the 250 DR 125 watts RMS. The nap 500 would be rather nice if not a money pit and over kill.
If possible you must first try in your listening room. Anyway gee talk about exciting, Hook them up and I’ll call around with some beers :beer::grin:

Sensitivity: 88dB (2.83V / 1m)
IEC Power Handling: 390W
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency response (±3dB): 28Hz – 23kHz
Box Principle: Bass Reflex Rear Ported
Crossover: 3 way
Crossover Frequency: 220 / 4500Hz
Crossover Topology: 2nd Order

Specification sheet for Contour part 1|Woofer:|2x23cm MSP|
| — | — |
|Midrange:|15cm MSP|
|Tweeter:|28mm Esotar2|
|Weight:|54.3kg / 119.7lb|
|Dimensions (W x H x D):|255 x 1330 x 420mm|
||10 x 52.4 x 16.5in|
|Dimensions with feet/grill (W x H x D):|343 x 1359 x 454mm|
||13.5 x 53.5 x 17.9in|

I’d suggest that it’s too much speaker for a bare 272/250. You’d get more musical satisfaction adding an XPSDR and more modest speakers, maybe the contour 20 or 30. As you are chasing perfection you may wish to note that it’s a NAP 250 and not a nac 250.

A couple of years ago, I had a chance to listen to the Contour 60 at the Acoustica show in Chester. That was with a 300DR – the 252 performing pre-amp duties and the NDS as source. That was in a somewhat small hotel room and the choice of music was not my cup of tea. But the speakers were terrific. I don’t know as to whether the 250DR is up to the job. But from that experience I would personally aim for a 300DR, which of course calls for a power supply for your 272. I guess the Dynaudio guys knew why the picked the 300DR… Getting expensive… :crazy_face:

Will be interesting to see what the amp can do . I’ll know soon enough!

You may be correct in your assumption . I considered the 30’s but don’t think they would provide the bass I’m accustomed to unfortunately. The room is fairly large.
May be some other upgrades on the horizon if the amp falls short.
Thanks for the model correction.

Thanks for the feedback. Depending on how things go, I may upgrade the amp or wait until my son moves out and convert his 12’x12’ bedroom into my two channel listening room. The later would most likely be less expensive. Lol

Square rooms usually have bad acoustics, approach with caution!

Dyn speakers like lots of current. With that said I use a 282/SCDR/250DR to drive a pair of Confidence C2 Platinum in a room that is 11 x 17 x 8. On the occasion that I want them to get loud the 250 barely breaks a sweat and has great control. I play a lot of large scale orchestral music and it is deeply satisfying.

I am planning to move the whole kit to a larger room, 13 x 22 x 8.5. I suspect the 250DR will work just fine for me. Is there a 300Dr in my future? Maybe, but I don’t think it’s required.

1 Like

I’m using the Contour 60s with 252 and NAP300DR with CDS3 and LP12 as sources. Works wonderfully well and the 60s are very happy being driven by the 300 and the whole thing was significantly improved even more with the DR. I used a chrome bumper 250 on them whilst the DR was being done and it worked fine. Not in the same class as with 300DR though. Classic series 250DR might well be different.

I needed to compare other speakers to the ones I ended up buying, Kudos Titan 707. I tried the Contour 60’s, it took a few seconds for me to decide they were not for me. The NAP300 drove them very well but spending this type of money is best with a home demo to make sure they suit your room and amp

Good to know. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.