Naim NAC 282 vs NAC272

Probably a different market. I’m always amazed at how common it is for those in the market for a luxury car to think nothing of a $15k car stereo add on but totally scoff at buying more than a clock radio for the home… and then leave the good car with the good stereo in the garage while they resort to driving around in their VW Golf instead.

I know several people in the $300k car club. None would buy a hifi for their home though.

I guess that market is more about ‘look at what I’ve got’ whereas most who hang around here are real enthusiasts of music & hifi. I’d love to able to afford a £300k car and house to suit but it aint gonna happen in this lifetime, whereas with hard work & saving, I can just about stretch to owning a fairy decent hifi system.

Ii wonder how well the Statement series sells? That must be a hard one to pitch.

I would not trade down from a 282 to a 272.

282 is a good enough to be the end game preamp.

272 - is also very good, but still I would never downgrade from 282

If I had a 272 with XPS DR I would not upgrade to 282/HCDR either, it’s not really worth all the hassle.

to really improve in a big way on both, I would look for a 252 Supercap DR

at this level though rather than think about 1 or 2 hicaps, the source is where real musical gains and satisfaction are obtained for me.

I’ve tested this many times, even with a good home cinema amplifier, upgrading the source is for me, the real game changer.

What I mean is compared the Yamaha Home cinemas internal DAC, playing movies through Naim DAC V1 made the amplifier into another league, and I enjoyed sounds and music that I did not think possible.

Bass went much deeper with superb articulation from the Naim source, also musicality, clarity, everything went up, as if I was listening to a Home Cinema amp which was top of the range and cost 4 figures

to my ears this - source first - applies all the way from Nait 5 to 552/500.

I use another good (not Naim) DAC for watching TV, but for special movies, I use my Chord Mojo, and wow, what an uplift, same amplifier, same speakers, different source, and such a big musical difference to my ears

3 Likes

I’ve even picked up some new Anglo-Ukrainian idioms, which I hope to start using regularly e.g.

‘For even the second-hand Naim forces to take off the last pants’

‘I expect the demolition of my roof from this bunch’

‘at 72/250 the scene is absolutely indecently scribbling’ :rofl:

Interesting thread for me too, given I’m currently living with the very satisfying 272/XPS/250DR combo. I’m hoping I’ll stick here and won’t veer uncontrollably towards another six-box setup (my previous bout of Naim excess occurred back in the late 90s).

Whichever route the OP decides, I would suggest trying some Fraim-spec glass shelves plus Naim balls & cups underneath his boxes. This gave a huge upgrade to my non-Fraim rack at minimal cost.

5 Likes

Your hanging out with the wrong people😃. I have a good buddy with a similar car issues, but yet has a very nice 500 DR system in his garage with not car insight! Yes chaps he does have his priorities sorted😎 his wife doesn’t…

I’ve often thought this my entire life.

1 Like

Well, my dear English brothers in the ward))
It’s time to have a drink.
Your Ukrainian colleague, the king of Google translation, still bought 282!
Now I’m listening.
Now I do not know when to lie down to bed. Addictive.
A little later, I will write more about impressions.

In the meantime, the question …
even though he already wondered.

For 282, two hi caps or one Supercap is better?
I heard that two caps give a more brutal, rich, dense sound.
Is Supercap more audiophile, spacious, wide, holographic?
It’s true?
thanks for the answers, friends))

5 Likes

How my dealer explained it to me…

• 282/FCxs: 5/20
  • 282/HCdr: 10/20
  • 282/HCdr x2: 14/20
  • 282/SCdr: 20/20

That said, some people do absolutely prefer a single HCdr to any of the other options above. So I’d try if you can. I personally like the 282/SCdr combo but it’s by no means a universally held opinion.

1 Like

As someone who has just recently gone from a 282/HCDR to 282/SCDR I have to say a jump from 10/20 to 20./20 is possibly an understatement. It was a rather transformative change for me. Amazing, but not surprising after experiencing what the addition of a XPSDR did for my NDX2.

2 Likes

every time I read a post like this, it is very tempting to upgrade from my HCDR to Supercap DR on my 282, but I tell myself slowly “remember source first” and the temptation slowly goes away…

3 Likes

Absolutely. While the 282/SCdr is great, I never felt like the HCdr was a bottleneck or anything. It sounds great. I’d alreaded put an XPSdr on the NDX and had funds to indulge myself when I bought the SCdr. There was certainly no nagging itch to upgrade.

2 Likes

One hi-tech so far at 282.
But already pulls out such matters …
And the wife over the evening gave two compliments. Like, you listen and imagine the musicians. So said.
And in the evening I suggested listening to one track of good jazz) So I sat until the end of the disc. Do not remember that. She had such a clue only on vinyl)
In short, the system is finally able to transmit records to the ATMOSPHERE. It is very important. In jazz, this is especially audible. Perhaps there is nothing more important.
Actually, I expected another. Some kind of remake. Well, black Neym, all that … And nefiga.
Very, very thick, carbon monoxide sound. Good for rude. The images are large, filled. The sound is even a bit dirty, but this musical dirt) Overloading the guitar is just overload.
Resolution monstrous) Climb all the compression and other jambs of records.
But then all the drool on the mouthpiece in Quadro Nuevo … right in the face splashes)
The bass is scary. Rumbling and detailed with the departure to the infernal depths.
Not speedy, even imposing, but very detailed and powerful.
In general, the sound is so dense that it seems that it does not fit in the speakers)
I don’t know why, but now the feeling of sound, like vinyl, lamps and multi-bits, is almost 1543 … something shorter …
Today afternoon I wanted to hear a couple of Sting tracks “The Last Ship”. So the whole disc to the end and listened. How to go to the movies.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.