Naim Nait 1 balance control

But now I don’t know which to keep plugged in; the newly acquired Nait 1 or my faithful Nait 2. They both sound fantastic!

4 Likes

If you think that’s bad here’s a page from the very early Linn LP12 manual. :scream:

1 Like

I suppose the next question is ‘why did you buy it?’ Ie what’s it for? Second system?

On the contrary - I think it’s brilliant! I’m of an age where I miss that kind of prose.

3 Likes

Got a good deal and I always wanted to own both. And eventually ,a second set-up.

1 Like

Thanks @Skeptikal , those four pages from the Nait manual are the best thing I have read about my hobby in ages. Quite an insight. Thanks.

3 Likes

There wasn’t much purposeful materiality or similar twaddle back then, and for that we should be grateful.

2 Likes

You’re most welcome.
I’m glad I could help. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Skeptikal,I just noticed on my Nait 1,that on the tuner input,the music is reverse.In other words,left is right and right is left.On the tape input it is normal.Is this another “quirk” ? Or just the early Nait 1’s? It doesn’t mention it in the manual.

1 Like

I wonder if one of the inputs is in the wrong way since new.
Seems strange for to be a difference.
Hopefully another Nait 1 owner will comment for advice.
Lovely retro job. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Same on my Nait 1 - there are quite a few out there with the channels swapped for the tuner input.

I believe it can be corrected during a service

4 Likes

Maybe just the very early ones then. Mine is a smooth knob red light.

2 Likes

Ooer missus. :wink:
Might be a good idea to get it serviced as still workable. :+1:t2:

Wasn’t there something a bit weird about the balance control on the NAIT 1 - in that it only attenuated the output of one of the two stereo channels and that the user was expected to adjust the balance by ear so that the amp sounded good through both loudspeakers (probably original Linn Kans)?

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you, Robert. I knew that there was some strange quirk with the balance control.

Naim sidestepped that with the limited edition NAIT50 by dispensing with a balance control altogether.

1 Like

I have just re-read these four pages in the course of sending them to my sister, who is about to have her Nait serviced.

The writing seems blisteringly fresh and confident, as if from a different age. Which of course it was.

2 Likes

I’m very pleased if I’ve helped you make a decision.
New isn’t always better and it would be such a shame to concede a classic but still serviceable unit to recycle.
Get it sorted out and will be as good as new for many more years of pleasure.
If I’ve helped then great. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, all the decision making has been hers. I’ve just tried my best to point out the plusses and minuses. Assuming she goes ahead (and the Nait is packed and ready for collection) it will be interesting to hear it in her flat when it comes back…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.