Naim Nait 3

Hi, I am the owner of a nait 3 and looking to enhance the sound. I have read a number of discussions on NACs but unclear on what model. Any ideas on how to improve?

Nait 3 (with phono) + Linn Sondek LP 12 (c1980) + Dali Pico (Soon to be Dali Zensor 5)

Thanks

LP12 “circa 1980”…any changes to the Linn since then?

Hi,

Budget? Do you want to stick with an integrated or go pre- power,

Regards,

Lindsay

The Nait 3 is very good, IMO, and I’d look to your source first; however, If your source is up to the extra scrutiny, 72/140 would be an excellent choice.

Hi Steviebee, up until last year it was 100% original. Unfortunately a brick fell down my chimney and well…image

Lesson learnt, hifi should not be kept in old fireplaces. Fortunately there was a local Linn dealer who restored it, the plinth et al was saved but a rega tonearm was used as the only one available at the time was more than the turntable was worth

Oh my goodness… what a sad sight.

Hi Lindsay, I’m not too sure yet. It’s a second system and I’m very happy with the nait it’s self. I’m hoping you guys can give some advise/ counsel/ insight on what you think or would do…

Thank you

Yikes! :scream:

Thank you Alba1320, that helps. In your opinion what changes would you expect with the suggested mods?

Lindsay, sorry budget is ÂŁ200-ÂŁ400

Ouch! That looks heart breaking!

I guess it’s worth deciding if you like the attack and pace of olive or a slightly more “mature” sound of the black boxes.

If you love the olive Sound then by and large every step is a good one (would prob by pass the 102/180) but 72/140 or 250 is very nice.

Prob worth seeing when the NAIT was last serviced and then decide from there I.e. a service or a full on upgrade.

I would advocate having a chat with your local dealer and do some demoing as if one box is your thing the Uniti / atom range would be well worth a listen.

Gary

Budget wise, there’s probably not much you can do with the amplification - at a guess, 72/140 would likely be circa. £800.

As Farthings-cat mentions, it might be worth getting the Nait 3 serviced, if that is (over?)due?

Thanks Gary, again really good advice.
I really do enjoy the Nait and wouldn’t want to part with it. It was serviced in 2014. I just like to keep old things old if that makes sense. I like the story behind the components so would like to keep it partnered with mods that are of a similar age and from the same family (probably one of few forums I can say that on).
Even though it’s my second system it does get played for a few hours every other day, I just want to squeeze the hidden drops of sound out of it

Pleased to say, it’s now back up and running…

3 Likes

Thanks Alba, yes that’s the catch 22. I know I can get more from it but I also know it’s a pricey investment to do that. I was hoping you guys can shed some light on things, which you have, I guess I need to sit tight and keep an eye open for bargains on the selected products mentioned… that’s the fun part I guess, until like most hifi enthusiasts when the patience gives and we cave in

You’re welcome, I like your outlook regarding keeping hold of things, nice.

I started my Naim journey with a Nait 3 mid to late 90’s so have fond memories of it - enjoy.

Gary

1 Like

Well if you like the NAIT 3 (I have no experience of it myself), how about a better cartridge. I assume the Rega arm is a R300 which will take a wide range of cartridges.

Definitely and exactly right, that does need to go. A valid point and that will make a huge difference. Any you would recommend?

Presumably the NAIT only takes moving magnets - I think so - I’d look at something by Audio Technica, Goldring or Dynavector.

1 Like

@Rockstarish If the Nait 3 has been serviced and you have Naca5 speaker wires then I reckon it’s all smiles with your new speakers.

1 Like

You can turn a Nait 3 into a NAC by a simple mod. You would then need a separate power amp, and you then have the option of adding a Flatcap to further upgrade the preamp performance. To be honest, I’ve never done this myself, so I can’t say what sort of gains it brings. You might decide it’s easier just to trade it in for a different pre/power amp.